Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any yellow Evo running catless?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 01:36 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any yellow Evo running catless?

I'm curious if there're any yellow Evos running without the cat. I intend to decat my yellow car, but am very concerned about the effects the decatted fumes may have on the PAINT of the car.

I used to have a decatted white car whose rear end turned yellowish almost instantly. And after a while the discoloration couldn't be cleaned off no matter how hard you rub/wax/polish.

So... help please, thanks!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:32 AM
Former Sponsor

The only other EVO I have seen that was not at a dealership had exhaust with no CAT and was yellow. For your luck the rear bumper looked ok. Although I would reccommend sometype of CF trim around the exhaust. I have seen this somewhere. Also if the exhaust pipe was extended maybe an inch or 2 out from the car I don't see how this would be an issue.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:15 AM
Evolving Member

I have the HKS 30th exhaust with no cat on my yellow EVO and I am getting stains on the bumper. You can't avoid it..... I had the same problem with my white MR2 turbo. I've always been able to take it off. You just have to remember to buff/polish it off everytime you wash the car.

I just can't remember who on the board was talking about making an exhaust heat shield.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:33 AM
GDB
Evolving Member

Oh yikes!

Thanks for the heads-up. Anybody else has "stains"?

In white color I know it'd be very obvious, but I was hoping in yellow it won't be.

Sigh... maybe I may just splurge on a high-flow cat.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

I always get stains and ive got for a month not washing my car and the stains never stay
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

I get stains no matter what.. Just like what Option2 said, you gotta polish that spot everytime you wash the car.. Then it'll always come off... Takes an extra 5 minutes to do it...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

catless with cat back not a single stain ever i am really lucky but i think deep down i want a stain lol
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:53 PM
Evolving Member

my car has had the exhaust since it hit 800 miles that is with the cat delete pipe as well and now it has almost 7000 miles and it really has never had a stain like i said but i do not have to wash my car all the time, and i take it to 7000rpm daily
Old Jan 10, 2004, 01:44 PM
Evolving Member

i have stains stock, next week my 3" TB with test pipe sould be in and i will tell you if it gets worst
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:49 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the responses!

Funny huh, it seems different parts of America produce different kinds of stains (or lack thereorf)

Anyway, I bit the temptation: decatted the car yesterday. IMMEDIATELY (i.e. today) I noticed a 'darker' than usual blackish stain on the bumper just above the exhaust opening.

A quick polish removed it

ASIDE: is it just me or cat-delete doesn't do much in terms of power-up? The rest of my exhaust is stock, and I noticed only a slightly stronger pull; quick glance at boost gauge confirmed boost has risen about 0.05 - 0.10bar across the RPM range.

My previous STi was noticably MUCH faster/more responsive after a catless downpipe upgrade.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Joe's_EVO8
. Although I would reccommend sometype of CF trim around the exhaust. I have seen this somewhere.
Has anyone seen where you can get this?? I saw a pic of one on an Evo 7 ahwile ago, but did not know where the person got it at
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Joe's_EVO8
Also if the exhaust pipe was extended maybe an inch or 2 out from the car I don't see how this would be an issue.
It would still get some type of black carbon build up, maybe not as much as it would flush, but it will happen regardles, once you remove the cat, its bound to happen
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:17 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

It's an HKS Kansai product

http://www.kansaiss.co.jp/parts/kam025.htm

I personally don't quite like it, it brings too much attention to the exhaust.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:25 PM
GDB
Evolving Member

BTW guys just for clarification, when I asked if your bumper/rear end has stains/discoloration, I do mean the "bumper/rear end".

For instance, my previous white car was discolored on the bumper area above the exhaust opening AND the rear-facing trunk-lid; anyone can easily see it was of different color than the rest of the car.

I wasn't referring to the "arch opening" directly above the exhaust tip.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 03:11 AM
Evolved Member

Hmmm well in that case, its all over the back, not just by the exhuast opening, thats the only "stained" part, the rest washes off at every carwash.

Mostly on the rear is little splatter marks, like after I let it warm up, then step on it, (hate this especially after I wash it) there will be all these little bits of splatter. I will take a picture sometime.