Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Bad paint job, now being sued

Search this Thread

Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bad paint job, now being sued

Well to make this story as short as possible here is what happened. In June I decided I wanted to get my evo repainted. The paint job was not horrible at all, had a few dents, scratches ect from daily driving. So I took it into this body shop and showed them all of the dents and scratches and that I wanted my spoiler recleared ect and I told them I wanted it to look like it did when it rolled off the showroom floor. So everything was getting repainted. After they finished, took about 3 weeks and the car had all kind of imperfections.

They didn't fix all of my dents, they didn't even repaint the whole car a few of the panels were blended and they even clear coated over some of the deep scratches I had so you can still see them. To top it all off they sanded through the carbon fiber on part of my spoiler ($1700 from the dealer). Now that a few months have went by the paint is cracking on my front bumper and a large piece of paint chipped off.

So anyways After seeing the car I refused to pay until it was all fixed. They told me they would call me back when they have time to get it in. after a month and a half I didn't hear anything and I decided I am going to take it somewhere else. Well I check the mail today and they are suing me for the paint job. Has this happened to anyone? I am going to get some estimates this week to have everything fixed and I am counter suing. Does anyone have any additional advice?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a better lawyer than they get....... Honestly you have pictures and proof of the job they did but in the end it's who has the best lawyer in most cases.

I am just wondering how you got your car back from the paint shop without paying them first?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:48 PM
Account Disabled

You now need professional legal advice.
Sounds like you have a case.
GL
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by phyberoptix
Get a better lawyer than they get....... Honestly you have pictures and proof of the job they did but in the end it's who has the best lawyer in most cases.

I am just wondering how you got your car back from the paint shop without paying them first?
I wrote them a check, they agreed not to cash it till the car was complete. After I called and told them I was taking it somewhere else I canceled the check.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
You now need professional legal advice.
Sounds like you have a case.
GL
This. Asking for legal advice on a forum will only get you deeper into trouble b/c you'll get nothing but tough guy answers.

This is also why you never pay for a service until it's completed properly, and only use legit shops with references, recommendations, certifications, etc.

Like this for example: http://www.tradesecretauto.com/main.html

That is the only body shop I trust to touch my cars.

Last edited by Kracka; Nov 8, 2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

Sucks to hear that but I would get some real legal advice instead of asking on a forum
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:22 PM

Hey man, GL to you and your endeavours
Old Nov 8, 2011, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
This. Asking for legal advice on a forum will only get you deeper into trouble b/c you'll get nothing but tough guy answers.

This is also why you never pay for a service until it's completed properly, and only use legit shops with references, recommendations, certifications, etc.

Like this for example: http://www.tradesecretauto.com/main.html

That is the only body shop I trust to touch my cars.
Im not really asking for Legal advice, just wanted to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and maybe some tips. I already plan on contacting my lawyer But he was not in his office when I got the letter.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

if this is small claims court, under $5k, i don't think lawyering up will be needed. take detailed pictures of the terrible paint job (proof) and it should be an easy win. did they tell you they're suing or did you already get served?
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:29 PM
Evolving Member

Seems like you have some evidence concerning your side of the case. If they agreed when you told them you weren't paying, and NOW they are sueing? It should be pretty clear.. But if not lawyering up, at least get some legal advice on the matter.
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by casper3043
if this is small claims court, under $5k, i don't think lawyering up will be needed. take detailed pictures of the terrible paint job (proof) and it should be an easy win. did they tell you they're suing or did you already get served?
I got served today
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:55 PM
Evolved Member

post up pics of the car in questions so we can see get a lawyer and get ready for court
Old Nov 8, 2011, 04:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by RockmanX
post up pics of the car in questions so we can see get a lawyer and get ready for court
Im gonna take some pics on my next day off and ill post some up
Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

sux man good luck...
Old Nov 8, 2011, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

If you didn't already know, once you sand through graphite(carbon fiber) fibers, the part is toast. Don't be looking for repair costs on this, look for 1700 plus paint. Really, if you have carbon fiber stuff that is painted, or even otherwise, and you go to get your car painted you need to let the shop know, sanding is not too controlled with a dual action sander, some layers of paint it will sand right off others take time, so if they are in a spot of carbon fiber and the paint is just gone, your carbon fiber is already toast. Graphite needs to be scuff sanded by hand, which is my they need to know where it is. Just so you know for the next time you take your car to get painted. Most body shops are going to be able to spot unpainted carbon fiber immediately of course, but painted however, requires tapping, my assumption would be, if none visible, why check whole car for carbon fiber? Nonetheless, you should let the shop know if you have graphite.

Quick Reply: Bad paint job, now being sued