Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

11,000 RPM is so old news.......

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:01 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I am interested in the shape of the powerband on Spyros car.

Dave,

On John's (not sure how much he wants to share) engine is the compression what I think of as typical for a Methanol motor (like top alcohol) or lessay Rau's motor?

Aaron
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
....Lets face it ET is on another level compared to 99.9 percent of the shops on this forum....its just a fact....ignorance is bliss.
You should look harder at the statements he made towards me. It's not a matter of bringing him down, this is a matter of reality. The fact is crazy power levels and rpm's have been around for years.

Reality is the stuff that is being promoted is smoke and mirrors or already old news. Reality is there a bunch of people talking behind the scenes about it all, guys who have been doing it for many-many years and there is a lot of laughter going on.

Since I am the "trouble maker" in the community I thought it was time to point out that these power levels and RPM's have been done long-long ago.

Do you know how developed the first solid lifter for the 4g63's? Quinn Whipple in Idaho, do you now where they were tested first? In our old orange AWD DSM on our Dynojet. Do you realize how many guys have copied them now? haha It's another NOT NEW technology. Also the reason I pointed out the hydraulic cam in John's car, I'm sure it's also in Reichen's.

I didn't take the time to point out all the things that wouldn't work in the CAD drawings or the pictures and parts that weren't even for a 4g63 yet and I can't as I have been warned not to bash another vendor. So there is no vendor bashing here, just posting facts.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
This thread just confirms that buschur is scared about a little competition. Wasn't creating threads bashing other vendors not allowed? And don't say this isn't directed towards them, it clearly is...
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I am interested in the shape of the powerband on Spyros car.

Dave,

On John's (not sure how much he wants to share) engine is the compression what I think of as typical for a Methanol motor (like top alcohol) or lessay Rau's motor?

Aaron
I made sure John was good with me using his car and video as an example (didn't ask Reichen but his video is up on here already somewhere). He is not interested at all in coming on here or getting in this thread. haha I don't know anything about Rau and am avoiding mentioning him as it will cause me headaches. I'd love to see the RPM he needed though, I looked for a video of an in car and couldn't find one showing a tach.

Compression in John's car, let's just say was over 12.5:1.....
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SyZyGy1394
This thread just confirms that buschur is scared about a little competition. Wasn't creating threads bashing other vendors not allowed? And don't say this isn't directed towards them, it clearly is...
I'd say your post confirms just how many lost people there on these forums. I am simply waking people up, it's going to take more for you though I see.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
So in your opinion DB, there is no point to the builds that ET does? or is this just a thread to say "nothing new has been done" so why all the fuss?? (I'm honestly asking)
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you need a reality show like orange county choppers. It'd be a hit with all the car drama!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
....Lets face it ET is on another level compared to 99.9 percent of the shops on this forum....its just a fact....ignorance is bliss.
I completely disagree with this. First off there aren't even 100 shops on this forum so you're basically saying ET is the best shop that's ever been recognized on the forum. That's a ridiculous comment in and of itself. If I called up Dave, STM, CBRD, or Strictly Modified and said I'm spending 50k on my car, make it do that and more...they could do it.

So Shep's car was a freak and can't be brought up? How can you prove that? You can't. Maybe this Evo is a freak Evo? There are stock turbo Evo's running 10's that are considered freak Evo's and then there are those that blow up almost stock. Which is the freak car? Maybe Spyro's car is a freak Evo? How do we know until someone else has that much money to pay them to do it again to see if they can do it again?

ET happened to post re: one Evo they built that someone with a crap ton of cash had to build. 99.9% of the people on these boards don't have that kind of cash to throw around to build a motor, not to mention the fact that other shops can and have done this for much cheaper. ET couldn't have done what they did without DB, Shep, etc doing the ground work, period. Where was ET when Shep was running 7's? Where was ET when DB was breaking records 5, 6, 7, 8, 20 years ago? I'll tell you where...looking on in awe hoping one day they could do it.

The whole thing is that ET is new and hasn't posted about this. People have gotten tired of seeing AWD, ETS, DB, etc etc breaking records. ET is the newest one out there to rev a motor to 11k...hooray, great for them, that's all it is...the fad will fade and the soldiers will be left standing.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

So in your opinion DB, there is no point to the builds that ET does? or is this just a thread to say "nothing new has been done" so why all the fuss?? (I'm honestly asking)
I don't honestly care what he builds. Is there a point to it, sure there's a point to it. I don't know anyone who has built a billet 4g63 block, not that I see that block in anything running but kind of cool to have the money to throw around to do it. Is that block in a car being used? I don't know.

I am honestly pointing this stuff out because it's obvious by the comments that are being made that a lot of guys just don't realize it's all mostly been done. There is also a lot of smoke and mirrors going on and that should be pointed out too. I mean there are people who have been banned and lost vendor status here because of such things.

I don't think posting a picture of a part that isn't functional, isn't for a 4g63 engine and passing it off that is, is a very stand up thing to do.

I don't find much interest in dyno charts that have numbers that vary 20% as calculations very interesting either. I find it even less interesting that with all the money, time, dyno sheets and claims that there is a complete lack of real world results.

I am pointing out cars that have been there and done it, not drawings and power curves that die. What kind of power does it take to propel an AWD DSM to go from 0-191 mph in 7.7 seconds? Think the power was falling off with those hydraulic cams if the car ran 191 mph at 11,000+ rpm? I don't think so.

So my point is, look back a few years and see the guys who have already done it all and proven themselves with track times and engines that have stayed together doing it.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Broham
you need a reality show like orange county choppers. It'd be a hit with all the car drama!
We tried! Didn't you see the Youtube video's of it? Al had something going with some producers but it never came to be. We shot some of the pilot here at our shop, check out his Youtube channel. hahaha
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05blue8
So Shep's car was a freak and can't be brought up? How can you prove that? You can't. Maybe this Evo is a freak Evo? There are stock turbo Evo's running 10's that are considered freak Evo's and then there are those that blow up almost stock. Which is the freak car? Maybe Spyro's car is a freak Evo? How do we know until someone else has that much money to pay them to do it again to see if they can do it again?

Where was ET when Shep was running 7's? Where was ET when DB was breaking records 5, 6, 7, 8, 20 years ago? I'll tell you where...looking on in awe hoping one day they could do it.
Freak stating it's not a run of the mill build and it's by no means a cheap bang for the buck setup or we will all run 7s for a few grand. Why do you treat ET's any different? Different setup thats all. Both freaks meaning they are not normal builds, but over the top. running 7s is over the top in my book.

You sound like a "timeslips or else guy" constantly talking about drag records and timeslips. Please say that to WRC and Nissan's gtr engineers also. "where were you when Shepherd went 7s?" They dont go 7s, but thats not their goal. they have a different goal as does spyros. Is DB, stm, and other shops awesome? Yes they are, they create great parts and allow us to purchase race parts for reasonable cost so we can go fast also. Also they contribute to the community greatly.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

I want to point something out here about this RPM stuff.

I get customers who call here constantly that want a 10,000 rpm engine. The fact is building a 10,000 rpm 4g63 is EASY. The other more important fact is 99% of the people building a car don't need to get anywhere near 10,000 rpm. The engine is NOT making power there, so running it to 10,000 rpm is pointless. You are past peak power and now in an area that when you do shift you are going to miss peak torque too, making the car even slower.

The dyno graphs posted of these crazy numbers on here with these claims of 11,000+ rpm..............open your eyes. Not one of the graphs go past 8800 rpm that I saw and on top of that BEFORE they even got to 8800 rpm the power was already falling off. Some of them are falling at 6,000 rpm.

I am trying to open eyes here. When I see dyno graphs like these I say, "Just look at it, would you look at that."

This guy has it, he knows when to look at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF8GhC-T_Mo
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by David Buschur
We tried! Didn't you see the Youtube video's of it? Al had something going with some producers but it never came to be. We shot some of the pilot here at our shop, check out his Youtube channel. hahaha
That's a shame. I woulda watched.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To add a few facts of my own:

- Whenever a car gets featured in any blog/magazine/website and gets hyped up, chances are that there was advertisement/sponsorship/back rubbing involved
- You can't really trust any endorsements for tuning shops in online forums, half the time the endorsements come from people affiliated with the shop
- Automotive reporting/magazines/etc. is generally a cesspool of advertising and promotion, with generally few little trustworthy commentary

These videos are awesome and show the awesome tuning potential of the 4G63 platform from a very early stage. The fact is, there are pioneers, and there are copy cats. The copy cats that don't recognize the pioneers are probably the least trust worthy ones.

Just my two cents.
Old Nov 9, 2011, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Name:  BrentRau.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  92.3 KB

10,985 in this pic.

Quick Reply: 11,000 RPM is so old news.......