Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

what hose is this? oil leak..

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update... upon further inspection it looks like the OIL PAN is actually what is leaking.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow... but there is oil all around where the oil pan seals. Also, it looks like oil is dripping from the area of the oil pan right above where I thought the hose was leaking.

Any advice? =/
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Make sure you have found the source. If you are not 100% sure of the source you may be going to a lot of trouble and accomplishing nothing.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 10, 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
could be a seal either behind the timing belt cover , camshaft oil seals would leak down there as would crank /oil pump or balance shaft pulley seal .
Old Nov 11, 2011, 04:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
No they need to be crush washers and the correct size
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
I think I'm going to try changing the washers on the hose but I'm not sure what size the washers are or where to get them from. Will any washers work?
Crush washers are washers made of copper. The banjo bolt and sealing surfaces have grooves that embed in the copper making a seal. Crush washers can only be used once so you need new ones if you pull a banjo bolt.

So take one from the car as a sample and match it up at a parts house. I was at Advance Auto and asked about crush washers. The clerk there pulled out a bin full of crush washers - all sizes.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those are not just a crush washer made of copper, they are soft metal(alum.) with a rubber inner ring and takes two when replacing. They go for about $5 each at the dealer.

Last edited by mdsevo06; Nov 11, 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by taylorgang
Update... upon further inspection it looks like the OIL PAN is actually what is leaking.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow... but there is oil all around where the oil pan seals. Also, it looks like oil is dripping from the area of the oil pan right above where I thought the hose was leaking.

Any advice? =/
You are looking for part number: MR464563

Here's the description and price from mitsubishiparts.net:
Gasket,eng Oil Co $1.84

You need two for each side of the bolt.

See here:

-Bink
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
you keep talking about e85 doing things to oil, i have never heard any thing about that does any one no if that is true
Old Nov 11, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
you keep talking about e85 doing things to oil, i have never heard any thing about that does any one no if that is true
Yes, it can affect the oil.

What you should be looking for is the oil's TBN (Total Base Number). This number indicates an oil's ability to buffer acid formation. E85 will cause more acid formation than 93 pump gas will. TBN should be 8 or higher, and the higher the number the better the protection against acid build-up.

-Bink
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
I could have sworn the factory fill was 10W-30, but when I looked it up on AMSOIL's site, they said 5W-20 and Mobil One said 5W-30.

I ran Mobil One 10W-30 with the stock turbo for 25K+ miles on the stock motor/turbo, without an issue. Since your on E85 (even with stock turbo), I'd consider running, 10W-30 AMSOIL, with one of their filters.

Anyways,
Definitely check your coolant and confirm that its still a green color. Check the overflow tank and check under the radiator cap. Make sure nothing is discolored or brown'ish / white'ish.

If nothing else, definitely do a compression test. It's relatively easy to do as long as you have the tools. This will give you a good idea of how healthy the motor is.

The car smoking on start up when cold is fine, that's just water vapor. I was just curious if you saw any blue'ish smoke coming out the tail. If you do a WOT pull and look in your rear view mirror, do you see any blue/white smoke?

How did your old plugs look? Any indication oil was on them?

-Bink
as information, what does it mean if the coolant is brownish color? my friends coolant had brown stuff floating on the surface before we did coolant flush
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bnr34rb26dett
as information, what does it mean if the coolant is brownish color? my friends coolant had brown stuff floating on the surface before we did coolant flush
Having brown/white/milky discoloring in your coolant can indicate a few things:

1) Rust (more of a reddish brown) which can happen because the incorrect 50/50 mixture of coolant to water is being used. Having more water than coolant can cause rust.

2) Exhaust gases can be getting into the coolant due to a bad head gasket / cracked head / cracked block (you can kind of smell exhaust in the coolant if this is the case)

3) Oil can be present in the coolant due to a leaky head gasket. This will look brown and foamy.

4) Or it can just be something simple like old fluid that hasn't been changed in a long time.

Was any type of 'water wetter' being used in the coolant? What did his oil look like? Was it milky? Keep an eye on the coolant see if anything else happens.

-Bink
Old Nov 11, 2011, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
It might also be prudent to replace the oil line from where the OP originally saw the leak.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
I got a hole in my damn oil cooler just noticed it yesterday, everything is dry but a drip from the very bottom. Oh well off she goes for now
Old Nov 11, 2011, 02:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
Having brown/white/milky discoloring in your coolant can indicate a few things:

1) Rust (more of a reddish brown) which can happen because the incorrect 50/50 mixture of coolant to water is being used. Having more water than coolant can cause rust.

2) Exhaust gases can be getting into the coolant due to a bad head gasket / cracked head / cracked block (you can kind of smell exhaust in the coolant if this is the case)

3) Oil can be present in the coolant due to a leaky head gasket. This will look brown and foamy.

4) Or it can just be something simple like old fluid that hasn't been changed in a long time.

Was any type of 'water wetter' being used in the coolant? What did his oil look like? Was it milky? Keep an eye on the coolant see if anything else happens.

-Bink
coolant just looks dirty. Not Brown. Black. Black flakes floating in top with possibly oil on the surface. Its not foamy or anything. Black dust kind of. Coolant level has increased above the avg lvl just did an oil change with no change in apparence
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just replace the hoses, nothing beats having to replace the part twice....crush washers didn't fix my leak there, once mine developed a tiny hole inside the insulation I had a slow drip from there due to no undertray and somethin hittin the hose at hwy speeds...replace hoses then use some simple green n spray the area off...then see if any other parts underneath are leaking....ud be suprised what splashed oil underneath will make something look like its leaking. Good luck.

Quick Reply: what hose is this? oil leak..