Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car gets too cold!!!!! Getting frustrated help plz.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car gets too cold!!!!! Getting frustrated help plz.

okay i posted up awhile back about my car running a little cold but now that it is getting colder it is getting too cold i believe!

It will warm up to normal (just below half way on the stock gauge) then when you start down the road it continually drops off the longer you drive, when you stop at a light or something it warms back up a little.

It is annoying because the car thinks its in "warm up mode" and idles ~1800 like when you start it up. It is driving me crazy

Put a new IMC thermostat in it rated 195* crossed over directly from the oem part. put a brand new seal on it as well. I thought perhaps this was defective so i put it in water. It springs open right at 195* and close back slowly at about 180*.

I burped all the air out via the radiator cap and refilled to the proper level. IT STILL GETS COLD! So im thinking the coolant temp sensor? any other ideas? I dont think it would be the gauge itself because the car is getting cold for sure if you drive it home and immeadiatly get out and feel the radiator hoses they are just kind of hot not burning hot more like a luke warm

someone help please im gonna order a coolant sensor if no other ideas some. Any one have a pic of it on the car?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How long has this been going on? What's the temp outside there? The coolant temp sensor only monitors the temp so if you're able to feel the hoses after a spirited drive the sensor is probably fine, it's something else. I'd have said thermostat stuck open but you eliminated that it appears...hmmm...aftermarket radiator/hoses?

The coolant temp sensor is on the bottom of the housing facing the radiator, it only has one slip fit connector on it if I recall.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

well i bought the car in february and it is ~75-90 here through the summer so i never noticed this. It was in the shop for two months and i just got it back two weeks ago and since its ~40-50 here now it is obvious. So when i went to change the old thermostat i discovered it didnt have one at all. So i put on in and now it hasnt improved. I put all new fluid in it i park it in the garage and there are no drips at all. I dont see anything wet, all coolant system is stock. stock radiator hoses im at a complete loss....

last night i let it get fully warm, turned heat on all the way and drove, after 2 miles it was luke warm heat about about 1/8 about the c mark. Shew and i hate the car being in warm up mode more than any of it. I need some help haha.

The only thing i was left with is the coolant sensor but what you said makes sense also. Like i said the thermostat popped open at 195* and started slowly closing around 185* and was closed fully by 175-180*.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

the only other things i can think of.... i crossed the thermostat over directly from the oem evo 8 part number. but the thermostat seal didnt come with it so i pulled the lancer es thermostat seal. It fits perfectly on the thermostat circumference, and the only thing that i had noticed (keep in mind ive never changed a t stat until this one so it may be the norm.) The seal and thermostat covered up the entire area of the hole allowing coolant to bypass it but it didnt cover the area around the entire cut out of the housing the only seal inside the housing is the one around the tstat correct? Does the actual neck you unbolt have a gasket?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I got a thermostat at Advance Auto then discovered it was for a Lancer. Took it back and had the clerk contact their home office in order to get the correct thermostat. The answer that came back was the listing in the computer was incorrect and that Advance Auto could not supply the correct thermostat. I tried another place - same result.

So go to Mitsubishi and get the correct thermostat and correct gasket. Then, if that doesn't fix it, get back to us.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

i work at advance actually lol. The lancer t stat is in the computer under evolution but i got the stock number from mitsu for the stock tstat, crossed it over and got this thermostat it is the correct one. It wouldn't cross over to this one if it wasn't. But i agree the t stat in the cpu at advance is incorrect. Also i forgot to mention it does have a mishimoto radiator and 19psi cap if that matters at all?
Old Nov 10, 2011, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

I've got nothing against Advance Auto. While I've yet to receive a Christmas Card from them, they see plenty of my business.

You didn't get an exact crossover because the stock thermostat is considered a 180 degree thermostat, maybe not all that important but the ECU is expecting to see 180 degrees and well as the fan. Also, the OEM radiator cap is rated at 16 psi - this is probably less important than the rating of the thermostat.

Now, I can't know what the thermostat you installed looks like but the OEM thermostat is made to move some water, it has a large opening unlike any other thermostat I have seen for a car (I haven't seen them all) and it closes with a rubber seal. The Evo thermostat is an impressive piece.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

okay ill take that advice sir. i will order one from mitsubishi parts.net and also i may go to advance and get a stock psi radiator cap just for kicks and see if that will cure the issue! thanks for the insight man i appreciate it lol and whats the addy for the xmas card? lmao
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I actually shop almost exclusively at advance auto and know all the clerks at mine. I took my stock t-stat in, we got the temp and the size off it and they went through boxes of t-stats until we found another (I think this is right) that was 63mm that is 180 degrees and swapped it in. We had to find a gasket that matched also separately because the one I got happened to not have one but the t-stat worked fine. The radiator cap I got from advance for the radiator fit fine but it did NOT seal properly and during boost it would leak. The OEM one or mish fits much better than the stant one just FYI.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

BTW, with winter on the way, if the cooling system is really running cold, the first thing you notice is the cabin heater not putting out much heat.

I noticed this with my DSM, bought a new thermostat and put it and the old one in water on the stove. The old one opened slightly before the new one. I was surprised there was so little difference. Installed the new one and had heat again.

Generally, the Evo heater will blast you out.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 10, 2011 at 11:51 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

my heat works great until i start driving down the road! haha. The t stat i ordered was a special order and 4 day shipping from imc it did have the rubber seal if i recall though that blocked the passage. I just got off the phone with the mitsu dealer and have one on the way im gonna try the cap also just because im paranoid haha. But yeah the car idles rich burps etc etc and gas mileage SUCKS!!!!!
Old Nov 10, 2011, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

changed to a stock psi cap and still no change cold as ice! haha going to put the mishimoto 19 psi back on. OEM thermostat will be here tuesday i will let you guys know how it goes. Pray for me because if it isn't the t stat im at a complete loss!
Old Nov 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

okay i haven't ran the car yet to see if it is fixed but i am going to have to eat crow on this one. The oem stat looks completely different than the one i had in it and i feel like it is for sure my problem. Im still doing the plug change and egr delete tonight and hopefully she purrs like a kitten!!!!!