Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:01 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had short list of cars at the time.. Yet I still don't regret the Evo for a second.. I even like driving it better than my race car, and that says alot.. cars are like ***** envy.. some brag theirs are longer or harder.. But in the end, the right tool does the job the best.. The rest are just tools.. all joking aside, I have a hard time saying anything bad about another car that I just don't have enough experience with.. But I have beaten 2 STI's from a roll, and from a Dig, and my personal opinion is its cheaper to make a car faster than to make it handle better..
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by YellwTyper
I remembe sitting in an Evo and then the STi... hands down the evo feels a heck of alot better just from that angle.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by MalibuJack
all joking aside, I have a hard time saying anything bad about another car that I just don't have enough experience with..
EXACTLY... a lot of those negative posters in that thread don't seem to have much, if any, experience in the evo. and i don't understand why they think the suby will be more reliable in the long run? isn't this a new, never before used engine? wtf? how can they simply decide that it'll be more reliable compared to the 10 yrs plus engine in the evo? man some of them are just ignorant...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hueman
HELL MUTHAFARKING NO.
can I get a amen
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

nope not at all i love my car even though it is costing me alot
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:18 PM

No question in my mind I made the right decision, and every day I drive it I become more convinced! I like the STI and have nothing against Subaru, they make good products, but I have to laugh every time I see one with no sunroof, giant ugly hood scoop, and the fact that they spent more money then I did. I won't even get into the driving experience...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolving Member

If I planned on leaving my car stock, then the STI might have been a better choice. But who would buy an Evo or STI and leave it stock? When it comes to modding the car, the Evo is much the better choice, and handles better anyway. Looks are always subjective, but my Evo will definately blow any STI's I've seen into the weeds. (Or snow)
Old Jan 9, 2004, 05:40 PM
e8
Evolving Member

never driven an STi, but I still like the car anyway.

i love the evo, it's an awesome machine, but the STi is a different beast and needs its due respect.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:01 PM

for me...ive driven both and had a terrible experience reliability wise with my galant VR4 but its neck-neck. I like the looks of both, i like the power of both. I like the colors they come in. I like both interiors. Etc etc etc. I like the evo for things like its rear wiper believe it or not and the more soulfull driving experience so i will probably go that way....but i could still go for the sti. Either way im waiting for a used 03. Ive done very well in my automotive life by finding people with auto-attention deficit disorder and buying their toys off them once they get bored and move on.

as for people on the nasioc board ragging on the evo and vice versa....theres a lot of young minds on both boards seriously.

Honestly im just happy that we have the ability to buy these cars.....i was pretty sad when the VR4 Galant and Celica AllTracs went away in the early 90s

Mike

Last edited by allwheelsdriven; Jan 9, 2004 at 06:05 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Since iam mitsu fan from Day 1 - I would choose EVO... this is my 5th mitsu.... and i think it will last for a loooong time. -iam willing to keep the car forever... true legend.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:32 PM

I test drove the STi again 2 months after I bought the Evo.

No, I never regret buying the Evo. I was waiting for another car serviced and pretty much bored. So, I walked down to the Subaru dealer right next door.

I still hate these from STi:
1. Styling is still offensive
1.1 Pink STi badging? A salesperson argued that pink symbolizes power in Japan and it is a cultural thing. Hell, I live in a country where pink symboilizes something else.
1.2 I still hate those golden calipers (I can get the car with silver wheels, but still with golden calipers).
1.3 Rear end styling is even more offensive than the front one.
2. The seat is too soft and doesnt hold well.
3. Too many gadgetry.
4. Shifter feels totally ackward.
5. Doesnt manuver as well as the Evo.
6. Extra $$$ for stereo.

The car is torquey the way it is, though .
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

I don't regret it at all. I had a wrx so I wanted something different, plus i love the handling and edgey looks of the Evo.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
right, i remember i went to Subaru Dealer, you know just to see the STi the salesman was a dick... He said Evo can't keep up, evo is using engines which are 10 years old technology ---ahh and he pointed at my previous car (eclipse) which he knew it was 4g63 engine...lol
Old Jan 9, 2004, 09:36 PM

haha, i went down to the mistubishi dealership one time with a friend in my sti, and all the salesmen came out and looked at the car...

first thing they said was

"hey wheres the stereo?"

haha, i replied "oh, wheres ur 6 speed?"

then they go "ouch, u know u get out handled by ours"

i go "yeah, but im quicker "

they go "no your not, because of our 5 speed our 0-60 time is much quicker than yours"

i go "wtf? mine is just barely quicker than evo 0-60"

then they go "our 1/4 mile is at 13.1 stock"

then i go "k, id like to see you pull that off right now, oh? ok bye"

holy ghetoness
Old Jan 9, 2004, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The one thing STI owners will NEVER be able to compete with the EVO even with all the upgrades in the world, is when you open the hood of their STI where the hell is the engine ????? Buried under everything. Don't take the negatives to hard. I love my EVO .

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?