Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 10:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a WRX previously and I looked at the STi and the EVO. Going from a WRX to an STi didn't seem like much of a change to me. Granted, the STi is faster in a straight line (depending on driver), but it felt the same to me inside. I'd have to say I'm happy with my decision...

I autoX'd my modified WRX for 3 years, most of those in Street Mod. The closest I ever got to winning the class was 5th place (Out of 24!). My first time out in the Stock EVO I win SM, remember SM is a heavily modified class! Woohoo! I love my EVO!
Old Jan 9, 2004, 11:08 PM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by yoshar
then they go "our 1/4 mile is at 13.1 stock"

then i go "k, id like to see you pull that off right now, oh? ok bye"

holy ghetoness
What? A retarded car salesman? Whatever next, the sky is blue? I've known more about the car I'm buying than any car salesman I have ever dealt with, and I'm a moron.

As for the STi: Pah, didn't even give it a second thought. The Evo is it for me and I wouldn't touch an STi with that other guy's 10 foot pole, let alone my own.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^^ he OWNS an sti....
Old Jan 10, 2004, 04:55 AM
Evolving Member

bah, i find STi owners to be like BMW owners. there **** dont stink, and they find something to ***** about in any car other than the one they own / fantisize about
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:32 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Bluesmaster
But who would buy an Evo or STI and leave it stock?
(Raises hand)

If I was going to mod right out of the box, I'd probably have gone with an '03 WRX (the plain one) and rebuilt like mad. (Suspension upgrade, etc.)

After all, what good is 300 HP in the snow? Of course, if this weren't primarily a winter car for me, the Subie's top mounted (and radiantly heated) intercooler would be a big negative, for either the WRX or the STi.

But if I wanted to do all my own work on the car, I'd have kept the Celica AllTrac with the DMS coilovers.

Okay, so I have a winter tire and wheel package, but otherwise my EVO is still stock.

And the EVO has better stock parts -- if you define "better" as having been proven out on the rally circuit. The JDM EVO8 might have the 6 speed box, but the USDM gets the tried and tested 5 speed. Maybe not quite so easy to keep the turbo on song on the track, but a box that survived the Acropolis will stand my daily commute for a while.

For me, the biggest deciding factor was the dealers. As many complaints as there's been against some of the Mitsu dealers, the local Scooby dealer was even worse. YMMV.

I don't regret buying the EVO over the STi. Most of the magazine reviews preferred the STi, because it wasn't as "edgy":

Translation: the steering isn't as crisp, so you can zone out more without losing it. The EVO requires more attention behind the wheel.

And this is bad?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:40 AM
Evolving Member

pretty weird, i was reading this topic and i scroll up and i saw MACH V banner and a white evo with STI (?) spoiler?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts
nope... I know guys with both the evo and sti. They say the STI is more of an every day car but if you want a racecar go with the EVO
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

ya personally i think the sti is overpriced
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:42 AM

Yes I did regret getting an EVO instead of an STI so I sold my EVO and I now drive a WRB STI with gold rims with HKS turboback exhaust and a drop in air filter. I do like the STI more. It is quite a bit faster with the same mods as my EVO and I like the fit and finish much more. My friend had a OZ lancer and when I rode in his car and then got in my EVO it depressed me. The interiors were identical minus the seats. The EVO is like a SRT-4. You buy a 10k car with a 15-20k engine and drivetrain. At least with an STI you get a 25k car with a 6K engine and drivetrain. I got really tired of people asking me why I would ever drive a lancer. I really thought the interior looked cheap, the car did not feel very solid, and I really just thought I payed way too much for it. Price it around the same price as a WRX and then you may have a winner. Plus I am still very bitter about the resale value of the car. I took a huge loss. I have never taken that kind of loss on a car before. One thing Mitsu is not known for is it's resale and I now know why. I can safely say that was my last Mitsubishi. Not trying to start a flame war. Just my two cents from someone who went from an EVO to an STI.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:54 AM
Evolved Member

I have never once regreted buying my EVO over the STI , I have driven them both. EVO
Old Jan 10, 2004, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Ohya if i cared about resale or what anyone was thinking about my CAR they could kiss my *** . As far as resale goes , if it was important to me I would have bought a BMW.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:44 AM

I regret not getting the STi . I missed all the gadgetries like ADHD, MR/DD, and OCD. Without all these goodies, I would surely miss my BORDERLINEs while cornering .

The engine must be really good, too. Its BIPOLAR engine are surely powerful and making a, or if not, the owner INTERMITTENT EXPLOSIVE since they are willing to sacrifice a bit of servicability for it. You should see the almost PANIC-DISORDER look from the salesperson when I asked him how will one changes the sparkplugs.

To conclude, if I had bought the STi, I'd feel that I can conquer the world. The car is powerful enough, I don't care if I become NARCISSISTIC or ANTISOCIAL; who cares about the look?

Now I really need to call my shrink. Bye bye cruel wolrd. Nobody cares, anyway.

Old Jan 10, 2004, 11:47 AM

Yeah but somewhere down the line your going to want something better and you will end up taking a big loss wit mitsu, and I don't understand people saying they drove both and automatically they said the evo handled better? Your dealership let you drive the hell out of it or wat?! cuz at least where I live they wouldnt even let you sit in one. But anywayz I've driven my friends EVO for a little bit and i was suprised at how easy it was to drive, just point and steer. Felt like a less jittery ride then the STI. I got my dad into cars again and he bought a wrx had it for a year and then traded to the STI. So I got some time in that car and it is a more nervous car to drive around because its so torqy but as soon as you get it in a turn it feels very good, I like both cars very much as get respect to the 4G63 as well as the EJ25 but personally I would take the STI.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by LapdGangsta
I don't understand people saying they drove both and automatically they said the evo handled better? Your dealership let you drive the hell out of it or what?!
Basically...yes! I told both the Subaru and Mitsu dealers that I was going to buy either an Evo or STi today, but the handling balance would be the make-or-break difference. They both went for it.

As we got into the car, I explained that I had been doing driving schools for several years and was a new instructor (this was all true, of course) so would it be OK if I went a little fast? They agreed. Then I asked that the test drive be on side streets (both delaers were on major highways and I wasn't interested in testing there). They agreed again. Then I beat the living hell out of both testers on back roads, on-ramps, etc. Each drive lasted maybe 10 minutes or so. The Evo won hands down, and that's what I bought.

I would never consider buying a car that I wasn't allowed to test drive properly. I understand them getting nervous if a 16 year old shows up with his mom and wants to "see what this thing can do." But if you're an adult and ready to buy, that should never be a problem. I've never had a dealer refuse a ride. Just find a dealer that is willing to play ball.

Emre
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by MYEVOVIII
Not for one minute. I have driven both and the Sti handles good for a normal car but compared to an Evo it doesnt even come close.
I agree with this. When I was trying to decide which car I wanted, my husband and I went and drove 5 cars.

1. STi
2. EVO
3. 350Z
4. G35 Coupe
5. RX-8

I drove the RX-8 first and liked it, but then heard about some problems that I really didn't want to deal with (engine flooding, HP, etc)

Next was the EVO. I really liked it, but was a bit concerned about the suspension. Was a little bumpy for my taste, but hey, I wanted a sports car, right?

Then I drove the STi. I have to say that I was impressed and knew that I had a very hard decision to make.

A couple of months passed then drove the G35 coupe. I liked it, but it just felt like "an old person's sports car"

Then to the 350Z. I got the chance to drive one of these last year before they were up for sale while I was working on a movie. I liked it, but I didn't like the fact that there was no trunk (what would happen if I went to Costco?) and that there were more blind spots than I liked to have in a car.

Lastly, I drove the EVO again. Almost got into a fight with the salesman because he told me that they really don't let people test drive the cars. I was ready to walk after I told him "How am I supposed to make my decision if I don't drive it?" As we were leaving the dealership, I told my husband that my decision has been made and I would really like to have an EVO when the time comes for me to get a new car. I was also very surprised that the suspension was not as stiff as I had originally thought.

I don't regret my decision at all. Besides, I think my husband will end up getting the STi soon. Is there anything wrong with having both?

Last edited by evogal; Jan 10, 2004 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?