Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i went from a mildly modded wrx to an evo. the one thing i do miss about wrx/sti is the sound, real deep, but other than that i love my evo more than anything i have ever driven. dont get me wrong the sti has its awsome points like
* its easier to launch
* more displacement
* deeper sound with an exhaust
EVO on the other hand
* bullet proof motor
* more boost
*easier to get to go fast

all in all, both are bad *** cars and if i could i would own both of them and like them equally as much. i dont know why this "arguement" keeps being brought up, we both have awd, we both are fast, both have turbos (yum) and we both are 4 doors who blow 2 doors away in handling, why cant we just be friends
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:50 PM

Originally posted by VIII
why cant we just be friends
I agree. I respect both cars, it just so happens I chose the EVO over the STi.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by VIII
i went from a mildly modded wrx to an evo. the one thing i do miss about wrx/sti is the sound, real deep, but other than that i love my evo more than anything i have ever driven. dont get me wrong the sti has its awsome points like
* its easier to launch
* more displacement
* deeper sound with an exhaust
EVO on the other hand
* bullet proof motor
* more boost
*easier to get to go fast

all in all, both are bad *** cars and if i could i would own both of them and like them equally as much. i dont know why this "arguement" keeps being brought up, we both have awd, we both are fast, both have turbos (yum) and we both are 4 doors who blow 2 doors away in handling, why cant we just be friends

I made this thread out of curiosity, thats all. I love the sti as well. As far as I'm concerned, they are our friends .

BTW, how do you like that JIC catback?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

ChrisW on NASIOC had a few interesting points that are not his own.

----

I let some guys who I autocross with take a drive in my STI at an event where they were flogging someone's EVO. I offered them a drive to find out what they thought between the two cars..

Their opinion of the evo

1. The EVO has better turning reponse with more feedback through the steering wheel.
2. The EVO's suspension is better prepared from the factory with more alignment adjustments available than on the STI
3. For what ever reason, the brakes are better on the EVO

their opinion of the STI

1. The STI has too much body roll.
2. The STI didn't provided as much feedback through the steering wheel as the EVO
3. The brakes were not as effective as we find on the EVO
4. The suspension on the STI still needs some tweaking to get it right. These two drivers suggested using higher spring rates, with revalved struts to match the performance found in the EVO
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

I love my jic, sounds like a supra when i open her up
Old Jan 11, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Nope

Not at all
Attached Thumbnails Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?-cimg0509.jpg  
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:03 AM

Originally posted by SilverEvo8owner
Nope

Not at all
That is what I hope to have my garage look like. I guess that would be saying something like having the best of both worlds.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 09:26 AM

Wish I could own both but since I couldn't...

I have never felt more glued to the road than in my EVO. That is ultimately why I decided to buy it over the Sti.

Making more power is also EASY on this car. Have Al, Shiv or Works flash the stock ECU ( Al at Dynoflash did mine) and you now make as much power and torque as the Sti without all the pinging and detonation they have to deal with (you also didn't have to buy a radio--c'mon, WTF is that?). Do a search on NASIOC for Knocklink. When I was buying mine, I looked to see how well the unit worked and found several threads over there discussing the massive stock detonation seen after some people installed a knock link. I don't have detonation with 93 octane, even now when the temp outside is single digits and my boost is hitting 22+ psi. I also don't hit fuel cut either.

I do think our customer service is BS but I've never owned a Subie and so can't relate any personal experience in regards to theirs. There do seem to be a lower number of complaints on NASIOC though...
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:08 PM
Evolving Member

Sti looks good, but always been a DSM'r- Not at All.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:14 PM
Account Disabled

My Evo beats STi's like nothing now, not even close, they all know me in the area and won't even try me, they just don't understand how a car with a smaller engine and 5 speed beats their cars, they try so hard to, but I run them down and they are just wide eyed, they say that I Nossed them. AHAHA
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:23 PM
Evolving Member

bope no regrets whatso ever... the sti just doesnt look right , and the evo in my opinion handles and just feels all around better

-non
Old Jan 11, 2004, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by umiami80
My Evo beats STi's like nothing now, not even close, they all know me in the area and won't even try me, they just don't understand how a car with a smaller engine and 5 speed beats their cars, they try so hard to, but I run them down and they are just wide eyed, they say that I Nossed them. AHAHA
Sounds like you've been racing with little kids.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

No regrets

I really liked both cars. I bought my Evo in February when dealers were charging crazy premiums. Subaru dealers were even worse!

I second the earlier post about the Subaru dealers being dicks. Most of them wanted me to cough up my dough and then wait a few weeks (months) for their phone call.

I do not regret my purchase, but I also haven't driven an STI. I probably would have been just as happy with an STI had I never driven an Evo. The magazine comparisons and end-of-year reports sure make me feel like I made the right choice.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:06 PM
Former Sponsor

No, but my friend with the STI wishes he had bought an EVO after driving mine (He traded in his WRX for his STI and he can whip my *** racing shifter karts.... but I turn left and "rub" better than him on the dirt ovals go figure)
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Mits vs. Sube quality

The ONLY thing that made my decision difficult was the quality of Mitsubishi. I'm a long-time Honda owner, and went to Honda simply for the quality of their vehicles. My wife had a Subaru Legacy wagon that we held on to for 9 years that suffered 2 problems over the course of that time - a bad idle that was caused by a spark plug boot that came off after dealer service, and a stalling problem that was resolved by the replacement of a cam sensor. The Sube was great reliability-wise.

Mitsubishi gets savaged in Consumer Reports for long-term reliability issues.

On the other hand, I didn't read one magazine article that picked the Sube when considering the driving experience. What sealed it for me was the nasty looking hood scoop and the "Pimp Gold" wheels on the STi, watching Subes body-roll all over the autocross courses this past season, and the higher MSRP.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that the car is holding together 3 years from now.

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?