Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2004, 01:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Sti has way more technology. Even though I have none of these cars. I have test driven a evo and a sti. The evo is a great car but a slug comapred to the evo (not really a slug ...you guys know what I mean"a bit slower". The evo handles better and the steering is quicker . I could make a few modification to the sti to make it a bit stiffer. Come on guys look at the sti's technology....Variable Valve Timing, Center Controlled Differential and the gauges are just selling me. The Evo was nice ...till the sti came out. Oh btw the evo looks 5x better than the sti. But the interior is crappy. Sure the sti has more displacement but you guys have a bit higher compression more psi. And the sti has less compression and less psi. You guys are running almost 20 psi...im sure if a sti runs 20 psi you guys will grab your crotch and say damn.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way

EVO all the way..
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by leopoldo
The evo is a great car but a slug compared to the evo ... The evo handles better and the steering is quicker. I could make a few modification to the sti to make it a bit stiffer.
It's far easier to add 30 hp to the Evo than to make the STi handle well. Even if you change shocks, springs, roll bars, etc. you'll still have to contend with the sloppy steering.

Originally posted by leopoldo
Sure the sti has more displacement but you guys have a bit higher compression more psi. And the sti has less compression and less psi. You guys are running almost 20 psi...im sure if a sti runs 20 psi you guys will grab your crotch and say damn.
Actually, it will be the 20 psi STi driver who will "grab his crotch and say damn" when his tranny blows up and sprays him with shrapnel!

I'm exaggerating, obviously, but you should really check out the STi boards before you post this stuff. The 2.5 liter drivetrain is pretty much max'ed out from the factory. Guys who try to push big boost through it have had lots of trouble.

Emre
Old Jan 16, 2004, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Not I
Old Jan 16, 2004, 05:01 PM

I continue to see posts of potential Evo owners that are looking for people to talk them into one car or another. Buy what you want. Every car has its advantages & disadvantages. Personally the only thing I like about any WRX is the performance...I certainly wouldn't buy it for looks....but there's plenty of scooby owners out there that would strongly disagree with me.
Old Jan 16, 2004, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Jamdown

can I get a amen
Amen
Old Jan 17, 2004, 02:59 PM

Evolution all the way!I wouldn't buy an American-ized 2.5 liter anyway. I drove the Sti and it didn't seem alot faster than the so much cheaper regular WRX. I have friends with Sti's and they really aren't but a 10th of a sec. faster than the Evo. (Check Car and driver, your local track, internet, ect...)There is alot more to work with on an Evo. Notice the guy with both the cars, Sti is stock, Evo is modded, so you know the Sti just isnt as fun or something. Personally I like to listen to the radio, thats why I bought a car with one off the lot, instead of buying a car that cost a few thousand dollars or more and dosent have one. (Sure, go spend some more money on the overpriced Sti and for a radio.)And guys, buy the way I know you didnt buy the car just for looks and but for performance also, but say, could you actually pick up a girl in that ugly box with pink stuff on it. Those brakes, WoW, so sporty and ....tan?!(Uglier than ever.) That hood scoop dosent match the areodynamics of the cars shape, the fin does a" little" bit though. Put an exhaust on a Evo and an Sti,...huh," I can't hear you," ..."see you later,"..burn that ***! Mo foe! Have you ever been to a Suburu dealership, I have. They have their noses in the air. I could go eat pizza with somebody from Mitsu. I like to hear the turbo also unlike the Sti. I dont like those super swampers on the stock Sti either. The only reason the Sti is a 10th sec faster is because it comes with 2.5 and that Sti exhaust. If Rally Art had Exhaust on the stock Evo it would be faster too. I say if you like the Sti,get a WRX and go Stage 3 or whatever and do sub 4's from 0-60 for alot cheaper than uglier Sti, and not get laughed at in traffic because of the odd add on's.By, the way, I drove the Sti and it only feels a tad faster than a stock Evo, because your face is all up on the windshield and it has a little more horsepower( it'll cost ya over 2 grand for a beeping light(tells you when to change gears) and 10th of sec.) I smoke Sti's with 900 bucks into my car. You figure I bought my car for 28,500 + 900 bucks in mods and burn an Sti for over 34 grand with no radio.

Sorry so long but I have to defend my Sti smoking Evo(yes its modded Sti owners)and yes Ill smoke you too.

Sti

Evolution VIII legend and Sport Compact Car or the Year ect...(must I go on, please dont make me.)
Old Jan 17, 2004, 04:17 PM

What's with the Subaru dealers all having such horrible customer relations. I keep hearing this, and I had the same response when I was looking at a basic WRX. Does Subaru message thier dealers to act like asses or what. That was one of the biggest reasons I didn't buy the WRX when it first came out (and it was ugly with those neon-like headlights).
Old Jan 17, 2004, 06:03 PM
DGS
Evolving Member

I'm not sure what the deal is with Scoobie dealers.

One local dealer was very helpful while I was debating between the EVO, and STi, or upgrading the suspension on a basic WRX. But that dealer didn't have any STis, and didn't get many new cars (mostly used).

The local dealer that was getting most of the STis didn't know the first thing about them, and was ponderously unhelpful, particularly when questions came up about the "pinging" issue.

That's one of the main reasons I went with the EVO. (That, and the EVO's better steering response.)

Mind you, there are some pretty lame Mitsu dealers around here, too. But there's a good one, so that's who got the sale.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 07:19 PM
Evolved Member

My conclusion...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=59867
Old Jan 17, 2004, 07:50 PM

Originally posted by Kayaalp

Actually, it will be the 20 psi STi driver who will "grab his crotch and say damn" when his tranny blows up and sprays him with shrapnel!

I'm exaggerating, obviously, but you should really check out the STi boards before you post this stuff. The 2.5 liter drivetrain is pretty much max'ed out from the factory. Guys who try to push big boost through it have had lots of trouble.

Emre
Umm... max'ed out from the factory, where did you read this crock of ****??? Its pretty hard to push big boost right now since there's no engine management out yet for the STi. So maybe when that happens and you see STi's blowin up left and right then maybe you can say that but b4 that you are just talkin outta your a$$.

And you didn't already know the 6 spd tranny on the STi is a serious piece and definitely not the weak link in the drivetrain.

So please refrain from talking **** about something you know nothing about. As a wiseman once said, "Better to be thought of as an idiot, than open your mouth and remove all doubt" I think it really pertains to you in this case.
Old Jan 17, 2004, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by wewu
Umm... max'ed out from the factory, where did you read this crock of ****??? Its pretty hard to push big boost right now since there's no engine management out yet for the STi. So maybe when that happens and you see STi's blowin up left and right then maybe you can say that but b4 that you are just talkin outta your a$$...So please refrain from talking **** about something you know nothing about.
Cool down buddy. You sound like someone cursed your mom or something.

Look, WRX forums are full of stories of busted trannys on high hp cars. We're also seeing lots of high-boost STi's with pinging problems. These cars are still pretty new...how long do you think it will be before these engines start falling apart from all the detonation? You don't seem to see this issue with 2.0 L engines, just the 2.5 L.

Besides, I was referring to the joker who said Evo owners would "grab our crotches" over the performance of high-boost STi's. How many high-boost 2.5 L STi's are there running right now?

This whole debate is stupid anyway. I like both cars. Stock for stock, the STI and Evo are both very impressive and well-matched. I found the Evo had a more delicate and responsive handling balance, whereas the STi had more brute strength. I think most people are in agreement on this point (even all the magazine writers agree). Having said that, I think the Spec C really moves the game on for Subaru and is a real challenge to the Evo. I've posted this on this very board. So cool it on your personal attacks. No need for vulgarity and vitriol.

Emre
Old Jan 18, 2004, 01:51 PM

Originally posted by chrisw
My conclusion...

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...threadid=59867

nicely said.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 01:54 PM

dam smileys
Old Jan 18, 2004, 02:38 PM
Evolving Member

When i first bought my car all I head is you should have bought the sti. WHy didnt buy the sti. I would of bought the sti. But I have a feeling they were just jealous and had I bought the sti they would have said you should have bought an evo. They just couldnt see the aftermarket potential. Theres just just much more for the evo.

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?