Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2004, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
some regret

I did have some regrets. Detroit has a big, tight Suby community that I enjoyed being part of when I had time. I miss those guys. Although I have been asked to come back as an honorary member....Also, between my wife and I we have owned 3 subies -all of them great cars.

Also, because I am partially white trash I have blind product/brand loyalty! I was actually trying to get the local suby dealership to sell me a white STi that they wanted to keep for demo/test drives...I had to beg them for a sit down meeting and take a pounding on my trade in - on the way to the meeting - I stopped at the local Mitsu dealership, drove the EVO, and bought it immediately...Any one who drives both and knows anything about cars will buy the EVO.

The EVO is a superior car -
Old Jan 18, 2004, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Re: some regret

Originally posted by Flames-666
The EVO is a superior car -
That's a pretty bold statement.

The STI is a great car, with a bullet proof clutch and tranny. I can say this with confidence, having owned both cars.

For my particular driving style and driving requirements, the EVO wins. However, if I was going to Tahoe to go skiing once or twice a month during the season, I would prefer the STI.

That said, I have no regrets trading in my STI for the EVO.
Old Jan 18, 2004, 06:25 PM
Evolved Member

Blew one away last week. I believe that he was slightly modded. NO REGRET!!!!!
Old Jan 18, 2004, 06:32 PM
Evolving Member

Location: [6][5][0]san mateo, California..."rEpN dA YaY aReA!!"
sti is coo and all but all and all but the evo has been around longer than sti's. since evo I, and coming out with diff. styles n sh*. n plus 4g63 engine, cant go wrong with that. winning in every rally race.
Old Jan 21, 2004, 07:36 AM
Account Disabled

quote:
Originally posted by umiami80
My Evo beats STi's like nothing now, not even close, they all know me in the area and won't even try me, they just don't understand how a car with a smaller engine and 5 speed beats their cars, they try so hard to, but I run them down and they are just wide eyed, they say that I Nossed them. AHAHA

Sounds like you've been racing with little kids.

No, not really, believe it or not I am cruzing along, they come flying past me, hit the breaks, and then rev at me then take off WOT from a roll, every STI Race I had. They read the mag thinking their car is faster, their laughing and pointing and going, I hit the GAS, from a roll, 2 seconds later, My car is flying by them, they never have a chance.

Closest race was a STI with turbo back, intake, and BOV and Some boost controller, Still walked them half way through third, they are rowing their SHORT gears they have no topend, but they dooooo have more low end grunt.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 08:42 PM
Evolved Member

Given that I don't own either an Evo or a STi but am planning on purchasing one in the next month, I can probably give you an impartial opinion.

I had a chance to test drive both 2 weeks ago. Sti definitely has a low end grunt but high end felt pretty weak. The steering had some slack and was not as responsive as the EVO's. Not to mention that the STi seats just suck. They're way too open with not enough support. I also liked the EVO's interior better. Not sure why the magazines say the STi has a better interior. Also Evo has a much higher redline, which makes it more fun to drive. Although I like the sound of the boxter engine better. STi's styling takes some getting used to, but it didn't bother me except the scoop. Also the Evo's shifter felt a lot better than the STi's...more crisp with shorter throws.

Hands down, Evo's a better car and as it is a couple grand cheaper, is definitely a better buy!

Now I'm in a dilemma whether to wait for an 04 or just go pick up the Silver or Black STi the dealer has.
Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:56 PM
Evolving Member

Old Jan 22, 2004, 09:57 PM
Evolving Member

quote:
they come flying past me, hit the breaks, and then rev at me then take off WOT from a roll, every STI Race I had. They read the mag thinking their car is faster, their laughing and pointing and going, I hit the GAS, from a roll, 2 seconds later, My car is flying by them, they never have a chance.
Like I said, you raced a bunch of immature kids. Racing on the street, what does that prove.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 01:02 PM

"Bulletproof clutch"? I haven't heard many great things about Subaru transmissions.

It's a very difficult decision, but I'll say it once again: EVOs look much more agressive out of the box.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 03:30 PM
Evolved Member

Thumbs up

I am happy with the car.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 04:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by KZEVO
Also Evo has a much higher redline, which makes it more fun to drive.
If your going to bs about test driving cars, you might as well go ahead and learn the basics.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 05:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah man, both redline at 7K, but with reflashes you can make them higher. The evo I've seen get 7800, Subarus I dunno.
Old Mar 4, 2004, 05:35 PM

You are getting redline and revlimit confused. I've seen the high side of 7k rpm's in my Evo stock no problem =)
Old Mar 6, 2004, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Re: some regret

Originally posted by chrisw

That's a pretty bold statement.

The STI is a great car, with a bullet proof clutch and tranny. I can say this with confidence, having owned both cars.

For my particular driving style and driving requirements, the EVO wins. However, if I was going to Tahoe to go skiing once or twice a month during the season, I would prefer the STI.

That said, I have no regrets trading in my STI for the EVO.
Don't hate me for this but I have been considering selling my Evo to get something a bit more comfortable to drive on a daily basis.
I have been considering either an '04 Acura TL 6 speed, Infiniti G35 Coupe and possibly an STI.

Is the STI really that much more comfortable to drive on a daily basis compared to the Evo ?
Old Mar 6, 2004, 09:32 PM
MP5
In Timeout

Re: Re: Re: some regret

Originally posted by Michael A

Don't hate me for this but I have been considering selling my Evo to get something a bit more comfortable to drive on a daily basis.
I have been considering either an '04 Acura TL 6 speed, Infiniti G35 Coupe and possibly an STI.

Is the STI really that much more comfortable to drive on a daily basis compared to the Evo ?
No I think its much worse you have to row the 6MT constantly

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?