Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Just curious. I saw a post similar to this on nasioc (just the other way around), and they all went off on how the evo is a huge pos and they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. So, any evo owners having second thoughts about getting an evo over the sti?

(Btw, I drove both, and settled on the evo because I though it handled MUCH better, plus it had less electronic do-dads)
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Nah, I don't regret purchasing the car, and never even considered the WRX STI..
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Originally posted by bluevilevo8
Any evo owners having second thoughts about getting an evo over theSTi?
Not even for a second. I thought the STi handled like crap (understeering pig). The ergonomics didn't work for me either. There was no contest.

Emre
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

Sometimes I regret it a little, since I had a 99 2.5RS. More hp and tq would be nice, not to mention a broader curve. Plus, the subys seem to be easier to rotate. HOWEVER, I think I would have regretted it more not getting the Evo. Too many times it has outshown the STi in the press.

Oh, and I'm not that tall, so I'm not sure I could have seen over the scoop...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

I remembe sitting in an Evo and then the STi... hands down the evo feels a heck of alot better just from that angle. Everything seemed more postive and the shifting is more precise.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No way! EVO RULES!

All the Subaru sales reps I talked to were dicks! They refused to let me even sit inside the STi, much less take it for a test drive. The STi doesn't look as good as the EVO anyways. It costs more too and doesn't even have a radio.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:50 PM
Evolving Member

Another reason I started this thread is because all the sti owners seem to have an "sti is best ever, I wouldn't trade my car for the world" attitude, whereas many evo owners on this site come off as "my cars alright, but mitsu sucks, and it's an 03, and my glovebox rattles, and my clutch is slipping, and I get crappy gas mileage, and...".
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Re: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Just curious. I saw a post similar to this on nasioc (just the other way around), and they all went off on how the evo is a huge pos and they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Expect the same from here.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Czubaka
Plus, the subys seem to be easier to rotate.
Huh!? Have you driven the 2000 and newer Subarus? They don't rotate well at all. Very sluggish turn in then understeer all the way around. You can get the Evo to rotate very easily in comparison. Plus then turn in is tack sharp.

Don't know what the older generation Subarus were like, but the new ones just do not compare to the Evo.

Emre
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:52 PM
Evolved Member

Not for one minute. I have driven both and the Sti handles good for a normal car but compared to an Evo it doesnt even come close. Also the linear feal of the turbo in the Sti I did not like. When my Evo's turbo spools up you know it.
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:53 PM
Evolved Member

HELL MUTHAFARKING NO.

i wasn't even considering the sti.. i WAS considering a regular wrx for the price difference, but said fark it: EVO!

i don't want the sti and never did. your question should be: Any evo owners regret getting the evo over something else?

cuz i do love that g35 coupe... a whole lot... still, i don't think i'll ever regret getting the evo unless it becomes a maintenance ***** in the years to come...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by hueman
HELL MUTHAFARKING NO.

your question should be: Any evo owners regret getting the evo over something else?

feel free to discuss this as well
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Re: Re: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?

Just curious. I saw a post similar to this on nasioc (just the other way around), and they all went off on how the evo is a huge pos and they wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole.
haha, I just searched NASIOC and read that exact phrase "wouldn't touch an evo with a 10 foot pole".

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...hreadid=478927
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

thank god for research-minded individuals and their quests to correct all inaccurate quotations!

anyway, with as much *****ing going on on this site, you'd really think the evo was a POS...
Old Jan 9, 2004, 03:59 PM

The STI is an awesome car, but so is the Evo. The STI has a HUGE air scope that I could not get to grips with, but some people are ok with it. No regrets here. Anyway, 3-5 years from now all today’s hot cars will be old news and there will be something new and really hot that everyone wants. Good thing a car is not like a tattoo, you can always get rid of it.

Quick Reply: Any evo owners regret not getting the sti?