Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Petition to change import laws [MERGED]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2011 | 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
signed! want my R34 GTR!
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

singed but i doubt it will reach the limit.
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 02:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by WolfsFang
singed but i doubt it will reach the limit.
sadly.... i argee. they need another 13,000 plus signatures in the next 2 weeks
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

That's awesome, I didn't think petitions ever made a difference but I hope it does.
Old Nov 27, 2011 | 09:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by shattered-4g63
That's awesome, I didn't think petitions ever made a difference but I hope it does.
oh they do just like the bank of America one.
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 09:44 AM

not to be a debbie downer here, but there has been a few dozen that have made the 25k+ mark. Each one was summarily ignored and everyone that signed it got a copy paste reason for why it failed. Typically it's the same reason why it's outlawed/banned in the first place, regardless of how stupid it sounds, or it's some kind of bias from one of the incumbents.

Here is an example;

Religion in the Public Square
By Joshua DuBois, Executive Director of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships

Thank you for signing the petition “Remove "In God We Trust" from currency." We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov.

The separation of church and state outlined in the First Amendment to the United States Constitution is an important founding principle of our nation. Our nation’s Bill of Rights guarantees not only that the government cannot establish an official religion, but also guarantees citizens’ rights to practice the religion of their choosing or no religion at all.

Throughout our history, people of all faiths – as well as secular Americans – have played an important role in public life. And a robust dialogue about the role of religion in public life is an important part of our public discourse.

While the President strongly supports every American’s right to religious freedom and the separation of church and state, that does not mean there’s no role for religion in the public square.

When he was a Senator from Illinois, President Obama gave a keynote address at the Call to Renewal conference where he spoke about the important role religion plays in politics and in public life.

A sense of proportion should also guide those who police the boundaries between church and state. Not every mention of God in public is a breach to the wall of separation - context matters.

That’s why President Obama supports the use of the words “under God” in our Pledge of Allegiance and “In God we Trust” on our currency. These phrases represent the important role religion plays in American public life, while we continue to recognize and protect the rights of secular Americans. As the President said in his inaugural address, “We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus, and non-believers.” We’re proud of that heritage, and the strength it brings to our great country.

What bothers me is that there was a good enough amount of people that wanted something changed, and the response was a good 'ol go **** yourself. I have signed this petition, but expect the same response.
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 10:18 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GTRicky
What bothers me is that there was a good enough amount of people that wanted something changed, and the response was a good 'ol go **** yourself. I have signed this petition, but expect the same response.
<grin> Well...yea. Aside from a myriad of contributing factors, this petitions the Executive Branch of our government.
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 10:22 AM

i honestly hope they actually do something. after having a 2000 kaizo r34 gtt crushed by ICE, I'd love to see this go through.
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its not going to make it..
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

damn this sucks, that the momentum is slowing, i hope more people find out about this, hell it got to 10k signatures in two weeks hopefully something crazy will happen and there will be another big surge
Old Nov 28, 2011 | 06:29 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo9nuuub
damn this sucks, that the momentum is slowing, i hope more people find out about this, hell it got to 10k signatures in two weeks hopefully something crazy will happen and there will be another big surge
What if 100,000 people sign it, 200,000? What then? How will this change the legislation via the Executive Branch?
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 245 Likes on 220 Posts
http://jalopnik.com/5866787/enthusia...port-rule-dies
Old Dec 10, 2011 | 11:58 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jalopnik
The petition, set up on Whitehouse.gov's We the People petition site, asked the Obama administration to "Stop using Homeland Security funds to seize imported vehicles, and change the DOT/EPA exemption to 15 years." If the petition had met the minimum quota of signatures, White House staff would have reviewed it, "sent [it] to the appropriate policy experts, and [issued] an official response."

Instead, supporters are back to the drawing board.
They'll have to come up with another way to push an effort to get the U.S. law to harmonize with a similar law in Canada law, which allows grey-market cars 15-years-old or older to be registered in that country for citizens' use.

They can always fall back on traditional means of civil disobedience, like occupying the DOT with a Keicar drum circle.
This is embarrassing. Here's Jalopnik talking about "back to the drawing board," when this never left the hypothetical stage to begin with. Notice how I didn't say theoretical. It's because a theory requires a bases in reality. Or, at the very least, a requirement to pass 10th grade Social Studies.