Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Best tool kit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.amazon.com/Crescent-CTK17...1519787&sr=8-1

To OP, I keep this in the trunk of the Evo in case anything happens anywhere. It's not that expensive and pretty much has everything you'd need for small jobs. Just for the occasional small job here and there, the quality of the tools in this set is more than good enough.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 08:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
SO the best would get a whole set not put together something by its self
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:05 AM

I havs the 250 dollar craftsman set. Works great.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 09:31 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by thepoint4life23
SO the best would get a whole set not put together something by its self
I posted a link to a tool forum earlier in the thread and I'd strongly suggest going there for an answer. Those folks live and breathe tools. They'll tell you what's best for your needs based on real comparative experience, where to buy it and how to pay very little for it. Even when it comes to common C-man or Gearwrench stuff, it's nuts not to buy it at 50% off without additional discounts. There are better deals on much better tools to be had.

Edit: Sears Black Friday tool sale:

http://toolguyd.com/2011/11/craftsma...11-tool-deals/

This site regularly features the better tool deals.

Last edited by FJF; Nov 17, 2011 at 12:03 PM.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

How are you guys securing the tool box in the trunk?
Old Nov 17, 2011, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by njboy
How are you guys securing the tool box in the trunk?
Mines a bag about the size of a shoe box I just put it in the corner near the tail light It's pretty heavy, it doesnt move anywhere lol
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

I made my own with a small Husky tool bag from Home depot.

Went to Sears and Harbor Freight to fill it up.

I bought a set of shallow 12pt 1/4" drive sockets, 1/4"drive ratchet, deep well 12pt 3/8"drive sockets, 3/8"drive ratchet, 1/4 to 3/8 (vise versa) adapters, metric combination wrench set (stubby 8-19mm), small hammer, heel bar, chisel/punch, small vise grips, adjustable pliers, screwdrivers, picks, wire crimpers, crescent wrench, cheap Harbor Freight multimeter, 12 & 18 guage wiring, assorted electrical connectors, mini ATM fuses, electrical/masking tape, tire repairis kit, zip ties, loctite, epoxy, and a flashlight.

It is great to have when you are going way out if town. If I had to guess I spent about $125 on all of it....cheaper than one tow truck trip.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As for brands, for this type of kit, some decent brands to consider:

1) Husky. Cheap. Available @ home depot. Acceptable quality. Readily replacable.
2) Proxxon. Inexpensive, good ergos, complete sets @ amazon.com. 3/8 socket sets up to 24mm.
3) Facom. On sale, cheapest of the higher end stuff. search online.

As for how to go about it, follow FJF's link above for research. IMO, A kit that is good enough to use for routine maintenance, but won't make you cry if it gets nicked, is a good balance.

I recently did this exercise
This is what I cam up with, although not for EVO specifically.
It took about $100-150 bucks all in.

-Sockets 3/8- Facom to 17mm ($55, demo kit w/case), +19mm Stanely USA old stock, $2 at Ace [Alt, consider: or Proxxon 3/8 to 24 ($80)]
-Wrenches, combo open - Stanley to 17-22MM $30. New old stock, USA @ sale bin at Ace.
-Wrenches, offset closed - Husky to 8-19MM $12. includes tool roll.
-Screwdrivers, Hex, 6 in adj, vice grips - Misc. on sale. ($20-30)
-All fits in a 12 inch soft bag - Craftsman, $10 (agree w/ posters above soft is way to go)

For real work, ratcheting wrenches are awesome, but consider $$ and if you want to leave more than one or two in the car. A single snap-on is like $30, and while Gearwrench are cheaper, are still not cheap.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:07 PM

my ex got me a craftsman last year, works pretty well
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:37 PM
Evolving Member

The bigger box didnt move around alot unless I was having too much fun (weight plus large flat area on bottom). With the spare tire out and the board gone, it never moves around anymore, but does not sit flat.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:23 AM
Evolving Member

I keep no tools in my Evo, when I had mydsm it was another story. The evos reliability has been great for me so far (although mine is one of the very few stock ones remaining)
Old Nov 18, 2011, 10:05 AM

Thanks for all the feed back everyone!!!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Patreek9
Thanks for all the feed back everyone!!!
Here is a good kit that doesn't take up much space and made in

http://www.amazon.com/Pratt-Read-800...100288&sr=1-13

The Pratt-Read 80010 16 Piece SAE Nut Driver & Screwdriver Set is a great example of a Industrial quality hand tool engineered for even the most demanding of users. The PRQ Quick driver system is a convenient, space saving, portable toolbox of interchangeable blades, designed for any technician, serviceman, or home hobbyist.

The PRQ handle is made of cellulose acetate, a renewable natural resource derived from wood pulp. Cellulose Acetate is a rugged impact and chemical resistant material. It is not based from a petroleum-based product. The locking chunk securely holds all the blades and allows the user to quickly change the blades. The PRQ handle is ergonomic and has a accurately sized 4 flute handle design for comfort and maximum turning power.

Pratt-read's line of interchangeable nut drivers are made from top grade molybdenum alloy steel. Each blade is cold-formed for tight tolerances and sure fastener fit, then heat-treated for maximum strength and durability and are made from custom zinc plating for corrosion resistance.

Screwdrivers are made from nickle-chromium-molybdenum alloy steel and heat treated for maximum strength and durability and, thanks to it's custom zinc plates, are resistant to corrosion. Slotted tips are forged to tight tolerances for a sure fastener fit. Phillips tips are precision machined for tight tolerances and a tight fit.

Last edited by icrnk; Nov 23, 2011 at 06:09 PM. Reason: add pic
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Just picked this up today for my car. Bit over kill but for 99 bucks you can't beat it. Lowes 227 Mechanics tools set..
Old Nov 23, 2011, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

I put together a tool kit for about $100 from harbor freight.i have everything I need at the track.if I can't fix it with the tools I have in the car I would need a tow.

Quick Reply: Best tool kit