Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Fp black stock block

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Street tune or dyno tune wont make a difference, just get someone reputable to tune it. Dont just goto anyone, or you can hurt your motor
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:05 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Well any reputable shop is more then capable of doing the job. If you don't want to do that talk to tscompusa he is an excellent tuner and the only tuner who will ever touch my car, I highly recomend him being he tunes my car hahaha.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by EvoJoeIX
Street tune or dyno tune wont make a difference, just get someone reputable to tune it. Dont just goto anyone, or you can hurt your motor
Yep experience is everything. The more they tune and become a well rounded tuner the better they become.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
no your exactly right on that no arguement here. I mean lets face it we all don't have access to our own personal dyno's and that is why we rely on virtural dyno so much. I mean it has been proven time and time again to be almost dead nuts on the dynojet dynos themselves. But all and all your correct yes.
One day ill log my car and get virtual dyno numbers so i can see the difference between my numbers now and the VD numbers. Im sure the difference is pretty big
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:10 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh I am sure they are specially if they were done on a mustang dyno which vd does now. should be a good compairison.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
i think the major key to making a fast stock block car is having a semi laggy turbo that has lots of top end.. the lag will help keep torque under control downlow where the rods really get hammered normally on a quicker spooling turbo setup since the quicker you spool the more torque you're going to produce to an extent. things come into play though, like the amount of airflow being produced and such as well, but the more airflow and quicker spooling turbo is always gonna give you trouble tq wise.

the stock frame setups aren't the best and the reason is because of course the stock frame is a small a/r and the smaller the a/r the quicker its going to respond and the more loss in top end you're going to experience.

but lets talk about the black, ef4, etc.. these are semi laggy turbos since they are pretty much 35R's bolted onto a stock frame housing.. on a 2L its gonna spool anywhere from say 4400 to 4900 depending on application, mods, so on.. we know bigger cams effect spoolup, other things can effect it as well.

are these stock frames to dangerous to run full tilt on stock block? in my opinion no..they are laggy enough to where you can control the torque curve to keep the engine together. there are so many things to do to help this.. 3 port tuning, pulling timing, tuning the spoolup crappy in general, and so on.

think of what you're doing though and then ask yourself if you think the stock block should run like this forever.. these engines come from mitsubishi with what?

60hp per cylinder approx? and once were done adding all our boltons, bigger turbo, and whatever else we can find in the aftermarket world we end up with well over 100hp per cylinder.. what people are doing these days with the stock block is insane, and in general the 4 cyl engine is being pushed and pushed to its limits by everyday people now.

this day and age everyone has 400hp+ it seems.. back years ago 400hp was big power.. these days its nothing.. and the fact the engine can still take it and stay together is amazing.

all in all what do i think? i think a black, ef4, equiv.. is the safest stock frame bolton turbo you want to use for big hp... are they the funnest? for some? yes.. for others? no..

at the end of the day it really comes down to personal preference what turbo best fits somebodies needs.

all the stock frame turbos are fun and perform well, it just comes down to what you want for your car.. and as i mentioned above, with 3 port tuning, timing, etc you can control the tq enough to extract additional power safely..

but nobody should think their engine is bullet proof if their still on a stock block.. even built engines with 1000hp rated i-beam rods let go.. when the engines ready to go it goes.. weather its tuning related or just fatigued hardware in general.. you are always going to pay to play.. thats just how this hobby is. its not a cheap hobby when you start to push the envelope.

that is my opinion on it.

if you want to know what i personally think is a good and safe power level for a todays everyday evo i would tell you around 380tq and 500hp in dynojet numbers.. anymore then that and you're asking for it.

you're gonna see guys making close to 500tq and 600hp+ on the stock block.. just because one engine can do it doesn't mean yours will too! so you have to be ready and understand the consequences when you decide to enter that playing level.

hopefully i helped someone maybe..
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:11 PM
mll
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2 options other the street tune since I live in WI is beyond redline or AMS. I heard AMS does a good job but is hard to get a appointment
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mll
My next question is where should I tune it at? I have a friend that does street tunes or should I go dyno tune and what is the difference? I don't know alot about cars thanks
As soon as the snow melts i am having TCOMP tune my black on stock block, just read through all the threads hes done with stock block. I even went as far as to contact a few of the owners and they all love his tunes. No one better IMO.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
mll
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by steelfire19
As soon as the snow melts i am having TCOMP tune my black on stock block, just read through all the threads hes done with stock block. I even went as far as to contact a few of the owners and they all love his tunes. No one better IMO.
Where are they located?
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

So let me ask a question, lets say a car is making 450wtq.... Why is it bad if its making that torque at 3500rpm then 5000rpm?

I always hear people saying torque is better for stock motor when it comes in later, but dont understand why its better
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mll
Where are they located?
look 5 posts up thats the man to talk to
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
EvoM Guru

So let me ask a question, lets say a car is making 450wtq.... Why is it bad if its making that torque at 3500rpm then 5000rpm?

I always hear people saying torque is better for stock motor when it comes in later, but dont understand why its better
basically less initial shock to the motor. You want your motor to roll into the tq rather then spool a little and BAM hit hard right away. The later it comes on the more time the motor has to get going in since. Tom correct me if I am wrong.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:27 PM

Why does everyone say "keep the tq under 400 and you'll be ok"?! There are TONS of people, including myself who make much more torque than that and are fine. I make 487 ft/lb at 5k rpm and this car is my daily driver, I drive it accordingly most of the time but I do some spirited driving quite often as well. And before anyone says anything, yes I'm on a stock short block, stock transfer case, and stock transmission
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:29 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

the earlier the torque hits the more blow the rods will experience.. especially if were talking 3500 peak tq vs 5000.. that would mean the tq is all coming on instantly like a huge BLOW vs the 5k peak tq will come on nice and easy and the further in the rpm you are the safer it is.
Old Nov 21, 2011, 06:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Basically once one breaks at 400 thats the # they want to be aware of. I am over 400 tq myself and I drive like an old lady but its basically a safe # for tuners to go off of. I mean would you want to tune a car and go over and have it **** on the dyno and tell the guy uh sorry bout that?

Quick Reply: Fp black stock block