Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

different screen to protect intercooler

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
different screen to protect intercooler

you guys thing airflow or anything would be restricted if i changed the screen in front of the IC on my evo. ill do it in the spring. rocks and anything in the summer isnt a problem, they cant make it through, but these small pieces of salt this winter are making it through the screen and bending the fins of my IC. just thinking of getting a screen with a finer pattern and smaller holes so this wont happen. dont want two winters worth of salt bends on my IC. should restrict air or anything right??? the IC is still right down front. what do you guys think.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 04:40 PM
Evolving Member

It will restrict air flow, but if it is snowing, who cares your intake air temps will still be pretty cool. But it you want to protect your intercooler go for it.

Also if you have bent intercooler fins just pull the screen out and bend them back straight with some needle nose pilers.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:18 PM
Evolved Member

yeah i knew it would restrict airflow some, but didnt know if it would allow the engine to get too hot. figure it would be alright cause like you said its still winter so it will be cool. i might just wiretie a finer screen on the outside of the one that is on now that way i can cut it off in the summer when i dont need it. ill take care of those IC fins in the spring when its nicer. the heat in my garage wont get warm enough to where id want to sit out there for a while!!!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:37 PM
Evolved Member

I'd still like to see some evidence that the airflow is restricted and that it affects intake temp & engine cooling ability. None of the posts I read are based on any real tests or proof, just a person typing "it restrict flow" without any data to back it up.

I have a very fine mesh on mine for over 1/2 year and have noticed no impact on intake temps, boost, engine temps or any other factor of engine performance or reliability (at least in street driving).
Old Jan 10, 2004, 05:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by xtnct
I'd still like to see some evidence that the airflow is restricted and that it affects intake temp & engine cooling ability. None of the posts I read are based on any real tests or proof, just a person typing "it restrict flow" without any data to back it up.

I have a very fine mesh on mine for over 1/2 year and have noticed no impact on intake temps, boost, engine temps or any other factor of engine performance or reliability (at least in street driving).
Its simple. Heres what you do, take your stock evo intercooler screen out, then get whatever kind of mesh that you want to use and cut it to the exact same size. Now heres the hard part look at both of them and see which one has more material. Okay the one with more material will restrict more airflow.

I never said there would be any adverse effects, I just said it will restrict flow.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally posted by xtnct

Hi!

In fact, xtnct's EVO dyno'd (road dyno) 8hp more than mine with the mesh, so I'm also skeptical of the restricted flow arguments. At very high velocities (like 300mph), choke flow may be an issue, but not at highway speeds.

Speedlimit...
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Go to a local hardware store and buy the screen mesh for sliding screen doors. It works great. I used this method on my Eclipse. Just take off stock screen cut to fit, use some black zip ties in the corners, then put it back on, and if you need more protection double it up, it works great! And it wont effect flow at all!

Last edited by ChrisS.; Jan 10, 2004 at 07:46 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 09:26 PM
Evolved Member

I wish the stock screen was removeable from the front side so I can clean the IC better to remove bugs and such. Then snap it back into place.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolved Member

yeah exactly how do we take off the stock screen in front of the IC. we have to take off the bumper or just get underneath the car and unscrew it??? someone who has done it before let me know before i go tearing stuff apart to find out, haha. im gonna get another screen on my next day off to wire tie on the outside that way like i said i can cut it off whenever i may need to.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Check below:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...rcooler+screen

I did this mod and have had no problems whatsoever. I have had it on my car for 3 or 4 months.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:04 AM
Evolving Member

I object to the idea that the screen doesn't make a difference (see proof below).

perhaps in the winter the air is cold enough to where you're not making intake temps reach the threshold of causing detonation (which pulls timing via KR sensor and you lose power).

but in the 100 degree summers i see here in CA, this is going to be an issue once it gets hot:

my buddy has this leaf blower that'll almost knock you over, so i brought over the rest of the sheet of screen (standard window screen from the hardware store) that I used on my car.

my GF was holding one side, and me the other, so 4 hands at all 4 corners, and my buddy held the leaf blower about 3 feet away.

Aimed at my head.

Screen in front of the face - lots of air blowing on me

No screen protecting my face - cheeks flapping in the wind like a flag in a hurricane. saliva flying out all over the place... I'm lucky i still have my eyeballs.

the truth hurts, and the truth is that the screen is preventing a HUGE amount of air (and just as importantly, air VELOCITY) from hitting that intercooler.

ive been racking my brain ever since (last weekend) to come up with a solution, but short of fabricating some pimp-**** screen that hinges out of the way with the push of a button (the "auto" water spray would be a great controller) i cant think of anything that is practical.

even if i had a stationary screen that wrapped nicely around a thin wire frame, was shaped perfectly, and went on and off easily, im not going to stop my car, get out, pull off the screen, and then race someone or rip through the backroads (well, maybe the backroads)... but my point is that i dont want to get out of the car to change between "protected intercooler" and "unprotected intercooler". I would want to hit a button and have something move or change to make the difference, and then be able to hit the button again and have it go back.

anyone have a bright idea?

EDIT - another point i wanted to mention... I realize that the more air you try to cram through, the more restrictive the screen becomes. at low speeds, (when you feel the most power from your car) of course there's no perceived difference.

but approaching 100 MPH (And beyond it) you're facing a vast difference in the cooling efficiency of the intercooler... at a time when it's going to need it most (after you pulled 4 gears at WOT) AND at a time when losing 15 (or more?) horsepower is going to be SO unnoticed, because of the fact that we're all used to taller gears not pulling as hard, so the lost power at those speeds just seems normal and we pay it no mind.

Last edited by Turbocake; Jan 30, 2004 at 12:14 AM.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by Turbocake
... anyone have a bright idea? [/B]
You know... I heard in Japan they put these spring hinges on the front license plates, so when you blow throw a speed trap at 150 kmh the license plate is pushed flat by the air and the cameras can't get it. Of course putting that hinge on a mesh infront of the IC would be pretty hard since the mesh would just swing into it. But it's an idea.

Also, for the ones who say that a tighter mesh doesn't cause any problems, you just gotta think about it. The tighter the mesh, the more material. That means more air is being blocked, causing less cooling. Not that it will always cause a problem, but in a situation were temps are borderline it might just break the horse's back. And comparing intercoolers (and for that matter the meshes in front of them) on a dyno just doesn't work, the biggest/heaviest intercooler almost always wins on the dyno.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:01 PM
Evolving Member

Phenix, the problem with hinging it so it blows out of the way at speed is that the car reaches high speeds every day on the freeway, when you need the protection the most.

you also mentioned the other problem, where would one put the hinge? the electronic controls (switches, wires, and servos) wouldn't be that hard to rig up, but the brackets and where to put everything would take some time to design.

damn. i wish i had a fabrication shop. i could probably make a million by coming up with a pimp-**** design.

i need a badass radar-guided laser beam that vaporizes the rocks before they hit the car
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:18 PM

That's true, there's probably no way to get the screen out the way short of fabbing rails, and electronics (and the room to make it work) and just have it slide out of the way (up, left right... slit the mesh and slide both ways even....). But that's just gettin ridiculous... Just sh*! on it and throw in a water-air...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:39 PM
Evolving Member

sliding would be way too difficult.

on the other hand, if hinges were installed on the underside of the main bumper protrusion, a screen could be swung upward and out of the way to let full air into the IC. You could use a servo to control the actuation. When it's time to roll pimp-style or cruise the rock-attack freeway, just turn the auto-water-spray button off and roll down the ave or park or whatever.

the worst is that you'd likely need to remove the front bumper cover to install all the ****, if the kit existed.

i was thinking i would just get a stock IC screen, trim the edges so it will fit into the front of the bumper inlet, make a trim piece for the edges, cover it in the screen material, and then attach some brackets to allow it to hinge up top.

it could also be actuated by pulling a cable... would that be generic? i think it would be...

Quick Reply: different screen to protect intercooler