Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Rocker arm failures

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rocker arm failures

Hey guys,

First off, thanks Pete and Ben for all your help this past Saturday! Without the trip to KHC I may have had more serious complications with my car. So this past weekend I went to get my car tuned at KHC and unfortuntaely was unable to get it tuned. 1) because I had an exhaust leak, but 2) because there was a tapping sound from the valve cover at medium loads. Strange thing is there was no tapping under light load at idle... My mechanic friend (who did all the work) pulled the valve cover and discovered lateral play on the rocker arms.

Long story short I had my 60k service done and also had HKS 272 cams installed along with a LICP. Have any of you guys had issues with the OEM rockers becoming worn out because of upgraded cams?? I have a feeling that it was a pre-existing issue because I only drove 1,000 miles since the install. I would also describe my driving habits to be pretty civilized... meaning there is occasional spirited driving but its rare that i'm redlining out gears or maxing out the car. I do also want to note that the timing on the intake cam was off by 1 tooth. It may have been installed wrong or it may have jumped one tooth on it's own. Since I had it installed by a good mechanic friend of mine I'm inclined to believe the latter. Either way.. just seeing if you guys had any similar issues because I probably got a $500 repair bill waiting for me

Last edited by euntaeyi; Nov 22, 2011 at 08:15 AM.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 200 Likes on 144 Posts
Yeah its sounds like lifter tick. Thats normal seafoam the car and it should help take care of that. Or another option run lighter oil. Basically all 4 banger motors have lifter tick its really not a big deal but it definately gets annoying.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Couple of things, it wont be a rocker that has the problem, more lilkely a lifter that is failing under load--ie not holding pressure causing it to collapse and cause the tapping. Start the car let it idle get a screw driver and then have some one rev to speed slowly until you hear the tapping. hold the screw driver to the VC and move it around to each port and try to determine the exact spot where noise is loudest--there is your dead lifter. Do this with the guy who installed your cams-- Two things here that point to him--while competent, he either installed your cams a tooth off therefore he wasnt paying attention, or he didnt tension the timing belt correctly and its slipped--all options point back to your friend. If you cant find the lifter, pull the cams replace all lifters and be done with it-- need to bleed them as well so they don't fail next time. Good Luck.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:27 AM
EvoM Guru

If it were a tooth off as suggested would that not show up in the tune?
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:34 AM
Evolving Member

The initial problem was an exhaust leak because one of the bolts on my turbo decided to back itself out from the exh manifold lol. We never got to do a dyno pull because while diagnosing the exh leak they discovered tapping coming from the valve cover. Strange thing is, the tapping is inconsistent. Like I mentioned earlier it doesnt happen when the engine is revved "lightly" but only when you open the throttle up a bit more. It doesn't happen throughout the entire rev range either. My initial thoughts were a collapsed lifter as well but if that were the case wouldn't it happen consistently through the rev range? I'm guessing we'll probably remove and clean the lifters too. He did visually inspect the rocker arms and noticed significant wear. Obviously even though my friend may have made an error in installation he is still a dear friend of mine so I'm sure that it'll be worked out

I guess my question is more geared towards people with upgraded cams to see if they encountered issues as well.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:43 AM
EvoM Guru

And as you stated above is the reason I wanna say it is lifter tick. I have had 1 tooth off installls in my evo and talon and it has always affected the tune in some way. Sometimes its over looked and its accidental but I will stick to lifter tick. Seafoam it and see if it help using the brake booster or any line going into the intake many and see if it fixes it.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
Seafoam it and see if it help using the brake booster or any line going into the intake many and see if it fixes it.

Could you reword that?? Lol. The lifters will be removed and cleaned since the valve cover is off. As a precaution we're going to replace the rocker arms anyway because they looked worn out.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 08:55 AM
EvoM Guru

With seafoam you use a vacume source. So being the brake booster line is a vacume source and goes directly into the intake mani, they suggest you use it. Takeing off the vc, and taking out the cams and lifters is much more work then putting a quarter bottle of seafoam and cleaning the system. Why do so much work if it may be as simple as it needing to be cleaned as I suspect. You can also use it in the oil for a few miles as well then oil change to help take grime and whatever out of the moving parts on the engine as well.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by euntaeyi
As a precaution we're going to replace the rocker arms anyway because they looked worn out.
I missed this in my reply so I will reply again. I was just tring to give you a simple solution to try and to save you alot of work.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:10 AM
Evolved Member

how will seafoam in the intake maniold help cure lifter tick? i can c putting it in ur oil but the seafoam wont make it to the lifters through ur vaccum lines.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:14 AM
EvoM Guru

I have had success both way. Don't know how it works but it does. And your right oil would work better I was just tring to come up with a simple solution rather then ripping into the head to remove lifters.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

i c. ill give it a try, i have loud lifters and a can of seafoam in the shed. what the hell.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cursedsm
I missed this in my reply so I will reply again. I was just tring to give you a simple solution to try and to save you alot of work.
Thanks I really do appreciate the advice! I just didn't understand what you were saying in the earlier post, lol. Yeah I'll keep seafoam in mind. I know that stuff really does do wonders
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:14 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by evoxsi
i c. ill give it a try, i have loud lifters and a can of seafoam in the shed. what the hell.
There you go simple, easy and in your case free hahaha.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:40 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by euntaeyi
Thanks I really do appreciate the advice! I just didn't understand what you were saying in the earlier post, lol. Yeah I'll keep seafoam in mind. I know that stuff really does do wonders
Its not a big deal I am glad I could explain it better and not confuse people being sometimes I lose train of thought and it comes out weird.

Quick Reply: Rocker arm failures