Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Driver side Outside mirror looks convex?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driver side Outside mirror looks convex?

I swear either something happened or I never noticed this before. My driver side rear-view mirror looks convex like one of those security mirrors that are round/convex. When I look at a car behind me the roofline of the car seems to slope, again like a convex mirror.

I swear it wasn't like that before and I haven't done much but drive in the extreme cold weather and gently scrape the ice off it one time.

Anyone else notice this?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

I personally do not have that problem on my car. Any excessive heat lately on your mirror?
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

it's supposed to be like that..it's on the normal lancers too. for some reason i don't think the US dealership broschures say anything about it but i remember i looked for some info on that on a japanese website and it was listed as a standard part

i guess it's so that you have a wider range of view? it used to bug me but now i seem to be fine with it..

EDIT: after rereading your post..is it that noticible? cuase when i look in the driver's side mirror, the image is not that distorted..

Last edited by bobaab; Jan 10, 2004 at 06:35 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Maybe it's there and I just don't see it!
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:48 PM

Funny....... I've had my EVO for eight months and I just noticed it about 4 days ago. I thought my mirror backing broke and that caused the distortion.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 06:57 PM
Evolved Member

I never noticed it before...just in the last few days and YES it is noticeable almost distracting now that I've noticed it. I ran my hand down it and put a straight edge against it and there is not noticeable curve.

No we have had excessive COLD (-7F tonight) but no heat at all.

I'd like to read any info you found anywhere on that description. I just seems wrong and I too figured something broke in the last few days.
Old Jan 10, 2004, 07:23 PM

i thought my eyes were ****ed up....cuz the right side is perfect....whatever that concave is it sucks, i cant adjust the mirror to the right position
Old Jan 10, 2004, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Could it be the cold?
Any warm climate owners noticing this?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

OK now I'm confused. I think it MAY be temperature related. I checked it out all the way to work today and I swear it is either gone or not as bad.

Our temps have been single digits for days and today it's in the 20's. I also had the car in the garage (unheated) all weekend which melted most of the ice on the mirror. I did spray the car off last week and both mirrors did freeze over. I did gently scrape it off at that point and I didn't notice it that night.

Could it be that the mirror backing contracts in the cold and causes it to look more convex?

Any warm climate owners noticing this?
Old Jan 13, 2004, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

As of today I don't seem to be noticing this problem anymore. Something changed and I'm not sure what.

It is supposed to drop to record low temperatures again tonight. I'll check it again tomorrow and see if the problem returns.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Guys. Almost EVERY car for sale in the US has this, as far as I am aware. Ever notice the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" warning on passenger door mirrors? The mirror is slightly convex is shape to give a panoramic view...to cut down on the huge blind spot most cars have on the pass side of the car.

SC~
Old Jan 13, 2004, 09:39 AM

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
Guys. Almost EVERY car for sale in the US has this, as far as I am aware. Ever notice the "objects in mirror are closer than they appear" warning on passenger door mirrors? The mirror is slightly convex is shape to give a panoramic view...to cut down on the huge blind spot most cars have on the pass side of the car.

SC~
I know the passenger side is standard like that, but usually the DRIVER side is normal. I too have noticed the convex driver side....I'm not worrying about it tho.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:00 AM
Evolved Member

No it's definitely not that. I don't notice it at all on my passenger mirror and I'm certainly aware of the "objects appear closer" look. This was truly convex looking. With a large truck behind me it looked like a fun house mirror distorting the lines of the truck. I would swear something contracted in the cold or something froze into an odd position. I did spray the car shortly before I noticed it.

I am talking really convex...like I said almost fun house convex. Also it was not a convex look that would improve my vision it was more of a distortion convex.
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

I noticed it recently as well
Old Jan 13, 2004, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Ultor...have you had cold or really cold weather?

Quick Reply: Driver side Outside mirror looks convex?