Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

GSC springs Vs. Brian Crower springs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 03:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
For me it would be Kiggly's or Supertech duels, (i run the duels myself)
Old Nov 23, 2011, 04:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st choice kiggly all day ... 2nd GSC very good quality
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Murf
Man chech out that outstanding quality. However I have seen Works springs fail like that too. To OP, BC=junk buy at own risk. Some get lucky many don't.

This is Dustin from BC. I have seen the photo of that spring pop up on forums for the past 3-4 yearsThat is not a BC spring as it is a CROWER. If you saw the other side of the retainer you would see the 87095 part number which is not us. PAC RACING springs in michigan makes all of the BC springs
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dustin213
This is Dustin from BC. I have seen the photo of that spring pop up on forums for the past 3-4 yearsThat is not a BC spring as it is a CROWER. If you saw the other side of the retainer you would see the 87095 part number which is not us. PAC RACING springs in michigan makes all of the BC springs
I can only imagine how hard it is to reverse the damage of these knuckleheads recycling the same images as if it happened to them. The hypocrisy is blatant when GSC cams have broken, but everyone still backs them.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
I will be removing that picture from my photobucket.

BC and I have made our peace and was avoiding this thread anyway other than to answer specific questions and points about the GSC. That spring was an early BC that was made by Crower until BC had their supply from what I was told. The reason it broke was micro rust on the spring which was from sitting not because of the spring design or material. While we choose to use other manufacturers I have no beef with Brian, Dustin, or anyone at Brian Crower. To me that particular dog needs to be left asleep and not brought back up.

Aaron

Last edited by JohnBradley; Nov 23, 2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by boostless
I can only imagine how hard it is to reverse the damage of these knuckleheads recycling the same images as if it happened to them. The hypocrisy is blatant when GSC cams have broken, but everyone still backs them.
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE had cams fail at some point from that batch (if they bought from the foundry that supplies most manufacturers) of IX cams. It was not design it was metallurgy.

Last edited by JohnBradley; Nov 23, 2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
Everyone and I mean EVERYONE had cams fail at some point from that batch (if they bought from the foundry that supplies most manufacturers) of IX cams. It was not design it was metallurgy.
That only proves my point further...why perpetuate that their product is sub-par when it could have been a rogue batch, just like "EVERY" other manufacturer.

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, but I get tired of seeing the same ONE PICTURE, not to mention any NEW evo owner getting a potential wrong idea of something that happened years ago.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I run super techs and so do all my boys, but i say gsc2 and supertech FTW!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

All i can say is there are always failures in high performance products. Higher performance = less reliability.

I will say that out of the 811 kits sold of our 5039, 5040, and 5041 kits we have in running 4g63s we have had 0 failures with our pac spring. There quality isn't matched in the industry and that is why we offer them within our spring kits. If BC is using a pac spring than unless it was used out of its design capacity they have a quality spring and won't have a problem with them either.

Now saying that kiggly has a better designed beehive spring kit than ours, or better quality than our kit is just wrong. His retainer isn't lighter, his spring isn't better, and his seat isn't hardened to withstand the wear of the spring over time. So before someone say's that someone has a superior product to one of mine how about telling me why someone's is better.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GregGSC
All i can say is there are always failures in high performance products. Higher performance = less reliability.

I will say that out of the 811 kits sold of our 5039, 5040, and 5041 kits we have in running 4g63s we have had 0 failures with our pac spring. There quality isn't matched in the industry and that is why we offer them within our spring kits. If BC is using a pac spring than unless it was used out of its design capacity they have a quality spring and won't have a problem with them either.

Now saying that kiggly has a better designed beehive spring kit than ours, or better quality than our kit is just wrong. His retainer isn't lighter, his spring isn't better, and his seat isn't hardened to withstand the wear of the spring over time. So before someone say's that someone has a superior product to one of mine how about telling me why someone's is better.
Wow this comment makes me wonder if there are any reasons why Anyone including me would pay extra for the Kigglys than.
But I have heard testimonials that say people with Kigglys revving to 10k rpm all day. Anyone seeing or doing this with GSC springs?
ANYONE?

Last edited by zenoise; Nov 23, 2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 08:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
All I know is Im sick and tired of my Supertech duals popping the seals off. I have pulled my cams 5 times already to pop them back on. Im switching to a different brand. GSC it looks like since Im looking at some S2s to replace my HKS272s.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
either will do im running bc springs on my evo, with s2 cams so far past 5k miles no issues tuned at 410 hp, and prior was running them on hks 272 cams for about 30k miles. I shift my car wot at 8k with my rev limiter at 8500. So personally i have no issue with them theyve held up great. Al though at the same time, the cam companies usually match the springs to there own cams. So in my opinion either will work well unless you wanna spin 9k+ then i would recommend a dual spring. But unless your on a huge turbo I wouldnt do it, your turbo would run out of steam by then. Just my 0.02. Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 05:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by zenoise
Wow this comment makes me wonder if there are any reasons why Anyone including me would pay extra for the Kigglys than.
But I have heard testimonials that say people with Kigglys revving to 10k rpm all day. Anyone seeing or doing this with GSC springs?
ANYONE?
Our 5041 kit will take 12k rpms on an s3 profile in the 30psi range now the rockers, lifters and bottom end of a 4g won't like it but the spring won't have a problem following the profile up there. As far as the highest rpm I've hurd of was a gsc cnc head of ours that ran 11400 at 50psi using that same kit. Also know that AMS's cnc 4g63 heads have GSC 5041 kits in them and I'm sure some of those heads have pushed on the limits.

I don't mean to sound negative towards the kiggly's at all while I feel my kit is superior their isn't a person out there that I would tell to switch out a set of kiggly's for ours. It's one of the best spring kits to put in a head.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 05:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by wizzo 8
All I know is Im sick and tired of my Supertech duals popping the seals off. I have pulled my cams 5 times already to pop them back on. Im switching to a different brand. GSC it looks like since Im looking at some S2s to replace my HKS272s.
Did you use the smaller seals provided with most Supertech kits? I've only ever seen this happen if someone installed the dual springs over "factory like" seals. the kits come with slightly narrower seals to clear the springs.

Josh
Old Nov 25, 2011, 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jmelocik
Did you use the smaller seals provided with most Supertech kits? I've only ever seen this happen if someone installed the dual springs over "factory like" seals. the kits come with slightly narrower seals to clear the springs.

Josh
Yes. Seals came with springs. All brand new. I compared them to the factory ones and they are smaller.

Quick Reply: GSC springs Vs. Brian Crower springs