Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Price question on Rolling Chassis

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Price question on Rolling Chassis

I have never sold a rolling Chassis before and would like some insight.

Car is an 03 Evo 8 with 81,000 miles on body. Car is in pretty good condition. One small dent at bottom of pass door numerous small scratches around the car. Couple weeks ago oil pan got extremely smashed in due to road damage. Cause #1 and #3 to spin bearing and over heat the rods. There is no scarring on the crank or cylinders. Everything is perfectly rebuildable. I just dont have the time with the traveling job i have. I have the title in hand.

Should i just try and sell the car as is?

Should i just sell as rolling chassis?
Pulling the motor, trans, transfer, FMIC, etc isnt a problem. I dont leave again for couple weeks.

What is the going price for both?

I tried doing a couple searched but everyone that has sold them edited their threads and just says "sold" now. Any help and info is greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Clean titled car chassis 5-8k

Salvage 2-4k

IMO of what I would pay of course
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:31 AM
Evolving Member

In my experience I have with parting out DSM's, they are always worth more apart then together. And evos seem no different. One problem is tho, larger parts are harder to ship and local guys never buy bigger parts. You will have to have the time to list parts, take pictures, answer 1000 stupid questions to every few good questions, take more pictures at odd angles and answer more questions.

You will make more money this way, but if your limited to time/space then it may not be worth it to you. You will also have to decide how much you want for each part and if its out of its market value or not.

What is wrong with the car? Is it just the bottom end and oil pan? Was there any other damage (or do you not know) when it was hit with road damage?
Old Nov 23, 2011, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
search my name i sold a rolling shell full interior no motor tranny t case or anything for 4k clean titled car and it had alittle front end damage that i had gotten fixed 6k max for just a shell anything more then that and you start to get into high milage evo 8 range i really would just pull the drivetrain and motor most of that stuff will sell fast then you just got the shell to worry about and someone will take that off your hands trust me i had guys from canada calling me trying to put deposits down i ended up selling it to a guy in florida who drove 12hrs the next day to get it good luck.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 12:39 PM
3wd

Too bad you're so far away, I know a friend who's looking for just a Evo Shell right now... =( GL on your sale
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AWDBus
In my experience I have with parting out DSM's, they are always worth more apart then together. And evos seem no different. One problem is tho, larger parts are harder to ship and local guys never buy bigger parts. You will have to have the time to list parts, take pictures, answer 1000 stupid questions to every few good questions, take more pictures at odd angles and answer more questions.

You will make more money this way, but if your limited to time/space then it may not be worth it to you. You will also have to decide how much you want for each part and if its out of its market value or not.

What is wrong with the car? Is it just the bottom end and oil pan? Was there any other damage (or do you not know) when it was hit with road damage?
Needs new rods, bearings, oil pan, and of course machine work.

Shipping any of the big stuff isnt a problem for me. My cousin owns a performance business and i can ship from there.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 3wd
Too bad you're so far away, I know a friend who's looking for just a Evo Shell right now... =( GL on your sale
Man i just came back from a 2 month job in Vegas. lol Im willing to help get it there if the offer is worth it. Have him pm me.
Old Nov 23, 2011, 09:20 PM
3wd

Originally Posted by evo@24psi
Man i just came back from a 2 month job in Vegas. lol Im willing to help get it there if the offer is worth it. Have him pm me.

Cool let me ask him and get back to you.....
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

Any more opinions?
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

Get another block and swap. Can get a 2.0 and direct swap, have yours cheap rebuild with stock stuff or build a 2.4 ltr. Or sell it to me for cheap, I think I have 37 dollars in my car fund right now.

Did you check with insurance (assuming you had full coverage on it)? My buddy had a motor hydro lock during a quick flash flood in his 2g. Insurance paid for a new stock motor. He took that money and rebuilt his 2.4 to as good as before. Cost him a little out of pocket, but it was better then taking the full hit.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Insurance covered it, but not enough. Like you said though, least its not the full hit. I dont know if im just aggravated that this happened or what but i really dont want the car anymore. Im going to pick it back up today. Maybe staring at it for a few days will change my mind.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm looking for winter projects. Plus my co-worker wants an Evo.

I already have my eye on two around here. One, hopefully to be picked up next week.

PM me, I can ship the car up to me. But really, it would be easier and more fun if you just got a 2.0 from a vendor here and swap it out. But if you are disgusted with the car, sell it.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 09:22 PM
3wd

I talked to my buddy today. He says he's over the Evo project now...haha he's ready for a family vehicle now...Sorry man I tried.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

Well i have the car back at my house. Guess im going to take some pictures and list its for sale both ways. Was hoping for a little more input though.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Clean titled chassis as you described (everything but drivetrain) should fetch at least 5K...Did the subframe or any of the suspension take a hit as well from the debris?

Quick Reply: Price question on Rolling Chassis