Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Caught the modding bug (need counseling!)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caught the modding bug (need counseling!)

How many of you feel like this?! I promised myself I would only want 400whp and I'd stop after that... lately I've been thinking about dropping in pistons and rods so the car can handle the power safely... then if my motor can handle power I might as well get a bigger turbo to take advantage of it, right?! Then I realize if I'm making 500-600whp and tons of torque to go with it on e85 I'm gonna need a new tranny!! I remind myself that a built motor, bigger turbo, upgraded diff/tranny, and supporting mods will surely be around 6-7K depending on the quality... then I realize that it'll never happen...

The next day I'm back at it! Thinking about what mods I should get... 400 just feels slow after a while! Who else gets like this?! Let's have a nice group therapy session... lol
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:29 PM

I think the answer to this question has a lot to do with where you are in your life. I'm at 400whp in my IX with an HTA Green. I can't realistically do e85 because they don't sell it near where I live. To get to the next level, and maintain any sense of reliability I would need to spend about $10k.

Not to sound depressing (it's just my opinion) but if you have a house, or are satisfied with your living situation and have enough $$$ that you could live for 3-6 months if you were laid off, I'd say go for it. It's not the same for everyone though. If your mid-long term priority right now is to have an 800whp Evo, then getting a built motor and tranny, etc. is what you need to do!

IMHO, 400whp is fun and relatively reliable in a stock-engine Evo. Plus you'll still take 98% of everything you'll see on the street (not that you would race them).
Old Nov 24, 2011, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
here's something to make you feel better: I can only have 89 octane fuel, and my car makes ( according to the virtual dyno) 210 hp
Hopefully that number will change after Tom is done his magic with my tune
So there, you should be happy with the awesome FOUR HUNDRED HP you have
Old Nov 24, 2011, 01:33 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Try being unemployed and looking at posts and car parts all day and thinking if I sell this or that, skimp on this payment I could afford this. I am to the point of where I am going crazy. But yes I think we all feel that damn upgrade more itch.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:28 PM

I feel the same way except im at 500whp but want 700whp lol. just blew my tranny last week
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:31 PM

i get that feeling sometimes too but what i do is drive something else for a day or two then get back in your car and youll fall in love all over again
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All my friends that have maxed out there stock turbo set ups have made good power switching to speed density
Old Nov 24, 2011, 02:59 PM

There are people on here who have run the stock tranny to 600whp. I'm still running stock tranny and transfer case making 535whp just fine. And I know your feeling, I'm bored with my car right now. Currently have it up for sale in order to get under a new platform. Unfortunately it's the story of my life, cars rarely last more than 6-8 months with me before I get bored and want a new toy.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sinople1
i get that feeling sometimes too but what i do is drive something else for a day or two then get back in your car and youll fall in love all over again
This is completely true. Anytime I drive my wifes car I can't wait to get back in mine.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
Evolving Member

Dreams dreams dreams ,, thats all it is ,
you have to reallize that the money you put in a motor , is lost and ju are nerver going to get it back the day u sell your car , so better you keep it fore ever if you wanna meke som out of it ,
steet driving a evo on 700 hp i hard ,and not fun at all , lets not think of the cost cost for the fule , every month , and it dosent mather how mutch monney u put in your car , there will always be a nother that will beet you on the streets ,

a good advice is to keep in simple and fun , and have a relalistic amount of power that you m
ay handle on the streets , and you wont have to cry every month when the fule bill arives whit the mail.

the themting thougt of having a built motor how does not have that , but 10 K is so not worth it ,
here in sweden you will need at least 15 K to make the jobe done , ( in relevent i know but anyway)

stage 1 evo is as bang fore the buck you can get , ealse sell that flower pot / beer can of yours , by your self a Nissan GTR and make a Stage 1, exhust , filer , tune , and get a faster car in all the ways , ore a ferrar 430 or something,

I do how ever have respect fore those that do have built enginges and gone all the way crasy about it , fore the pasion , they have got mutch experiance on the way , but it has not been cheep, in anyway.

but whit more power comes more problems as they say..
Old Nov 24, 2011, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I thought I was done when I converted to E85. But nah, bigger turbo in order.

Then saving up for an X.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:38 PM
Evolving Member

once you get used to your set up , everyone either gets bord or gets the mod bug . i feel that 400-500 is perfect dd !
Old Nov 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Well I am not bored with my setup or power I just feel the need to make it better hahaha.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 09:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by taylorgang
How many of you feel like this?! I promised myself I would only want 400whp and I'd stop after that... lately I've been thinking about dropping in pistons and rods so the car can handle the power safely... then if my motor can handle power I might as well get a bigger turbo to take advantage of it, right?! Then I realize if I'm making 500-600whp and tons of torque to go with it on e85 I'm gonna need a new tranny!! I remind myself that a built motor, bigger turbo, upgraded diff/tranny, and supporting mods will surely be around 6-7K depending on the quality... then I realize that it'll never happen...

The next day I'm back at it! Thinking about what mods I should get... 400 just feels slow after a while! Who else gets like this?! Let's have a nice group therapy session... lol
I think the exact same way! Keep looking at options to build a stroker and a turbo upgrade. Honestly its a big investment you will never get back. I try to get more interest in getting the outside mint with thoughts for a jdm rear, side skirt extensions, etc. At least its less costly and keeps me interested. At the same time I want to preserve my evo and get a beater. This way I can really appreciate the car and keep it in good condition. I wish I never got mine lol. I would have a lot more money!
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bryan0
I think the answer to this question has a lot to do with where you are in your life.

Not to sound depressing (it's just my opinion) but if you have a house, or are satisfied with your living situation and have enough $$$ that you could live for 3-6 months if you were laid off, I'd say go for it. It's not the same for everyone though. If your mid-long term priority right now is to have an 800whp Evo, then getting a built motor and tranny, etc. is what you need to do!
i totally agree with this. you have to assess where you are in life and take it from there. if you have a few kids running around and your family isn't saving as much as you should, time to prioritize. if you are a young guy, just got a good job and don't mind living with your parents till your 30, GO FOR IT!

tip: if you want a reality check, go add up all the money you've spent on aftermarket parts on your evo. you'll cry yourself to sleep.