Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

A leaky situation

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2011, 05:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down A leaky situation

Okay, been trying to figure this out for a while and I am at a TOTAL loss on what could be the issue. It starts on the passenger side, when it rains, it's leaking into my car. If it rains for hard and hours, I will have a lake on the passenger floor board. I have checked all the drains from the sunroof all the way down to the fender well, no drainage issue. I also pulled up the plastic stuff along the front window and moved the windshield wiper to check that drain, clear. I had a boost gauge running through the fire wall, pulled it out and plugged it back up, still have an issue. I have used the search on this site to check for ANYTHING I could have missed, went and checked everything that everyone else had problems with, no luck.

The water is comming up from somewhere underneath the dash, it looks drenched at times, tried tracing it with no real luck. It's also getting on the inside of the kick pannels near the door where all the wires are, checked for anything there and nothing, it's comming from some place up high, does anyone have any good ideas? Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 06:08 PM

Your going to have to pull everything that is easily removable out including the carpet and have someone in the car and start using a hose and spray the exterior of the car and possibly even under the vehicle. I would take a second look at the sunroof.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:23 PM

We checked the sunroof, including the drain and the exit under then fender liner, all clear, its definantly comming from somewhere behind the dash.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

jb weld all the doors and windows closed lol just kiddin! but check the seals doors, sunroof, windshield, everything and go from there. get a buck of water and sit in the car and hove someone pour it around the outside of the car like where it seals.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 07:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yeah your really not gonna be able to find it easily. I would suggest pulling the dash and ac boxes to remove the mat against the firewall. That will let you actually see everything. Then sit in the car with a flashlight and have someone with a high pressure hose spray water along all the seams and drains. You'll see it then. At least that's the way I do them at the dealer when it's not obvious. Should really only take you a couple hours.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by 4whlbst
Yeah your really not gonna be able to find it easily. I would suggest pulling the dash and ac boxes to remove the mat against the firewall. That will let you actually see everything. Then sit in the car with a flashlight and have someone with a high pressure hose spray water along all the seams and drains. You'll see it then. At least that's the way I do them at the dealer when it's not obvious. Should really only take you a couple hours.

Yeah, that's pretty much along the lines I had been thinking this whole time, I really don't see another way around it. Checked all the common problems to no avail. Time to get creative.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't know if rain can drain into the heater box. But if this is happening and the heater box drain is plugged, that could be your source. I'd suggest raising the car and running a wire up the a/c drain hose.

BTW, years ago I thought the drain was plugged on my firebird TA. On this car the evaporator box was on the engine side of the firewall. I crawled under without raising the car and by the time I got to where I could work I was all but pinned. I poked the drain and out came lots of nasty water, all right in my face.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

How about the front window seal itself. As we discussed, I never had any water leaking into the car but I did notice a fair amount of wind noise in addition to air drafts often coming from the middle of the dash at the bottom of the window. I was always under the suspicion that the front windshield had been replaced. It could be that there is a slight leak in the windshield seal if the job was done poorly.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by vince_w2004
How about the front window seal itself. As we discussed, I never had any water leaking into the car but I did notice a fair amount of wind noise in addition to air drafts often coming from the middle of the dash at the bottom of the window. I was always under the suspicion that the front windshield had been replaced. It could be that there is a slight leak in the windshield seal if the job was done poorly.

You are correct, sir, it was indeed the front windshield. Used a water hose to spray around the window and the leak is from the passenger side bottom corner, it was a MASSIVE leak. Now to get it fixed....