Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

electrical problem after hard acceleration

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2011, 06:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
electrical problem after hard acceleration

Hi,

I've recently changed the clutch to a 6-puck one and today did a hard acceleration. The shifts turned out pretty hard as the clutch has very harsh engagement and I'm still getting used to it. So after that I've noticed that my battery, handbrake and oil lights came one ( dim and blinking when at idle and fully lighted when I drive).
I've changed my alternator recently, so it couldn't be it. I also checked the alternator belt and its ok.

What can the problem be? Also, what connections should I check if they became loose?

Thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

How old is your battery?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those three lights come on only when the alternator is not providing enough charge. Check all the connections on the alternator and battery. I know you said you just changed it, but if its a used/remanufactured one and there are no loose connections, then its time to replace this one again.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by TurboTim06
How old is your battery?
Battey is about a year old, but the car starts fine, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
Those three lights come on only when the alternator is not providing enough charge. Check all the connections on the alternator and battery. I know you said you just changed it, but if its a used/remanufactured one and there are no loose connections, then its time to replace this one again.
Will try to check all the connections more thoroughly, as quick inspection didn't reveal any loose ones.

Also it would be strange for the alternator to go bad just at the same time as the hard pull. Can hard shifting damage the alternator somehow?
Old Dec 3, 2011, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I'd check the battery hold-down. Make sure the battery is not moving around.
Old Dec 3, 2011, 07:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvolutionEst
Battey is about a year old, but the car starts fine, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Will try to check all the connections more thoroughly, as quick inspection didn't reveal any loose ones.

Also it would be strange for the alternator to go bad just at the same time as the hard pull. Can hard shifting damage the alternator somehow?
Its possible that when you shifted you could of knocked a connection loose on the alternator.