Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why are some used evos priced around and under 25000?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2004, 07:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are some used evos priced around and under 25000?

OK i started to scope out some evos for my next car purchase within a couple of months because i find them very underpriced thinking they would be more?
Originaly i was gonna go with a used wrx but since i started looking at the evos i got my mind changed.
Keeping in mind these used evos have around 8 to 15 k on the odometer.

_marcin
Old Jan 12, 2004, 07:47 AM

From $22-$25.5k is a fair price for an Evo. Just driving off the lot knocks off a couple thousand because its not a new car anymore. Most evos your seeing are losing a fair value pretty mcuh like any other car would, hell look at the Srt-4's private party value on like a 2003 wtih 10,000 miles is $10k. They halved their price in a year, that sucks.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 07:59 AM

Maybe it's because the last of the 2003's are going for around the high $26K range. Couple that with the fact that most people feel that a high performance car with very low mileage has probably been dogged. It sucks but if you intend to keep your ride for the long haul who cares?
Old Jan 12, 2004, 08:00 AM

Thats very true... but reading up on the trany problems that the evos face should i be worried, i mean just not to long ago i found a silver evo on autotrader for about 25500 and the guy has suspension mods and clutch upgrade. From what im reading a clutch upgrade is a necesity on the evos. Plus since its an evo driving it off the lot and loosing that much of a value i would think its weird after all, i thought it was a big thing here in the us hence the realease of the evo and sti; where ull notice sti' s have not yet lost value. BUt than again would that be becuase of the fact that the evo is an 03 rather the sti which is an 04???

_marcin
Old Jan 12, 2004, 08:10 AM

Originally posted by pgtkid
Thats very true... but reading up on the trany problems that the evos face should i be worried, i mean just not to long ago i found a silver evo on autotrader for about 25500 and the guy has suspension mods and clutch upgrade. From what im reading a clutch upgrade is a necesity on the evos. Plus since its an evo driving it off the lot and loosing that much of a value i would think its weird after all, i thought it was a big thing here in the us hence the realease of the evo and sti; where ull notice sti' s have not yet lost value. BUt than again would that be becuase of the fact that the evo is an 03 rather the sti which is an 04???

_marcin
Well I use to own a WRX so I know a lot of people in the Subaru community (NASIOC). Everyone is waiting for the prices of used STI's to drop. It simply has to do with the fact that they were released later than the EVOs. This summer should be full of moderatley priced used STIs.

I wouldn't be too worried about buying a used EVO, but remember that you can probably get a new one right now for a little under $27K. I went ahead and opted for the new one. A lot less to worry about and better re-sale value if your the original owner.

Last edited by Gobi; Jan 12, 2004 at 08:12 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

More stuff about clutch and tranny...
You'll be fine concerning both if you do not plan to drag race the car on a regular basis. you can drive the Evo hard, and even do the occasional track day, easily, with the standard clutch. And there is no quantifiable proof that the tranny is "weak". Posts on this board concerning these issues radically skew the reality of the durability of the EVO in these areas.

Percy
Old Jan 12, 2004, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Mitsubishi = plummeting resale value

That's all there is to it really. Plus it's a specialty vehicle, not a whole lot of people want these things.
Old Jan 12, 2004, 09:02 AM

well i understand what u mean maybe im just paranoid, its probably due to my last car. I wouldnt my buying a car straight off the lot if prices still change i probably will, teh reason im looking at 25000 or less evos cuz i noticed that i could by a perfomer that can stand up to the sti with the wrx price tag. Two of my friends own wrx's one of them has his moded moderatly so far and plans on more, the other is mostly a sound guy i was gonna join the wrx trend but... im hearing alot of good things about the evolution so i lean toward that more and they start to eye ball me hehehe .

_marcin