Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo as your daily driven car?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hylomar
I understand that the mods might be worth more than the frame,but the overall cost would still be less than starting with an expensive platform. I don't know that the track venue matter as the result is the same, simply different ways and styles to get there. I get that a dedicated track car allows for it to break and not leave you looking for a ride to work. Outside of that, the cost factor doesn't make Denver to me. What am I missing?
Sense .....not Denver ......stupid auto-correct
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yes!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

To those who've hit 80K+ I just hit 87,000 in my IX mr and I finally need a new clutch. I DD it a total of 40 miles/day and I've had the car for 5 years now.

To reiterrate a previous comment... "I wouldn't buy a car if I wasn't going to drive it everyday."

Dave
Old Dec 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hylomar
I understand that the mods might be worth more than the frame,but the overall cost would still be less than starting with an expensive platform. I don't know that the track venue matter as the result is the same, simply different ways and styles to get there. I get that a dedicated track car allows for it to break and not leave you looking for a ride to work. Outside of that, the cost factor doesn't make Denver to me. What am I missing?
for drag racing, I imagine this makes whole lot more sense then for road racing..and on a road course it makes sense to a certain point.

cheap (fast) road racing car's rarely end up actually being cheap. a fast Integra for example will easily cost you 12k. This is assuming that the car will still be drivable to and from the track . if its not you will need a truck+trailer which isn't cheap. This car will probably yield lap times similar or faster than a stock evo..the problem comes trying to match modded evos..with mods the Evo can reach some pretty low laptimes that would require a full race car to beat which means with truck+trailer and even more money put into the 12k integra your cost end up being about the same and at a certain point with enough mods on the evo you wont be able to keep up (look at time attack)

the Evo is one of the best platforms for the money. So the cheap track car compared to other cars probably makes more sense.

maintenance is another matter. The evo is expensive

at some point I'm going to ditch the evo because it cost so much to track. I've been looking at cheaper alternatives but so far all of them would mean slower lap times.

Last edited by Montu; Dec 13, 2011 at 11:22 AM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:44 AM
Evolved Member

You can buy a pretty awesome dedicated road racing car for about $20K that no Evo ever will be able to touch -- a Radical Prosport, for instance. They're easier to work on as well.

An Evo is very suitable as a daily driver. My '03 has been used for commuting even with a really stiff coilover setup, loud exhaust, and ACT race clutch. It has also been dead-nuts reliable since the day I bought it -- only two incidents ever, and those were both the exact same thing -- the intake hose blowing off the throttle body under boost. Five minute fix, and I'm on my way again...
Old Dec 13, 2011, 12:58 PM
Evolving Member

^ ok you have a point with things like the radical but still at that point your looking at truck + trailer and you never have the option to have fun on the street.

by having my full interior evo I take it out for fun..mostly for track days but back roads as well. and if i go out and I don't want to look too trashy in my beater car I still have a car I can take out that looks like it's worth more then 1000 bucks.

I just rather not waste the car away in traffic is what I'm saying. I DDed mine for a while and racked up 82k...the wear and tear + gas + maintenance to drive the car in traffic is not worth it.

Last edited by Montu; Dec 13, 2011 at 01:05 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 05:22 PM
Evolving Member

i do. did 1600+ miles in my first 16 days. drive to and from work, 75 miles back and forth. plus a few outings.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Montu
I stopped DDing mine...IMO it's stupid to DD an evo its not comfortable sure you can have a little fun some times but with the traffic involved most of the time all i was doing was spending hordes of money on gas and putting wear and tear on the car.

Now the wear and tear only comes from the track and other "fun times"

with a 95 civic eg as my DD i can park it anywhere with out worrying about dents and dings ..I see speed bumps and if anything I speed up. It saves on gas and most of all insurance (insurance drops once you set the evo as a weekend car)
how do you set it as a weekend car? i tried doing this so i can buy another car for a daily but they said they don't have the options like that... who you insured with?
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:27 PM
Evolved Member

All day everyday!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ApexEVoIX03
how do you set it as a weekend car? i tried doing this so i can buy another car for a daily but they said they don't have the options like that... who you insured with?
Mercury but i've had geico and progressive, they all asked me what the primary use of the car was going to be..for weekend I simply replied pleasure or weekend car

followed by an estimated mileage per year which should be kept low.

that option may not be available to you until you have more car's then drivers on your policy.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
been DD'ing my car as it is for over a year now,though i do miss a quiet luxury car at times.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 07:00 AM

Article about the EVO on this topic:
http://www.wheels.ca/columns/article/801548

...And yet, inside, I was held by seats that were as comfortable in hour six as they were in hour one. The bolstering that seemed excessive at the start of the trip had held me in place so well that my body, which would have been tired of the bracing in lesser seats, was just fine. The suspension, though firm and very communicative, wasn’t abusive, and seemed to get better as speeds increased.

The Evo may have been born to rally, but as you can expect of a sport where real cars compete on real roads, its upbringing makes the Evo the perfect companion for any road, summer or winter, paved or otherwise.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 02:51 PM

I drive mine all year around. I also just drove in 2500 miles to Florida and back, two weeks ago.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Double D indeed, 209k currently
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:02 PM

^ wow, thats a lot of miles

Quick Reply: Evo as your daily driven car?