Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Concerns: Garaged EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by llDemonll
Your car will go to **** without someone to maintain it. I'm sure you can find someone on the forums who can come by once a month for a small fee and drive it around the block or at least start it.

Tires don't matter, after three years the rubber will be shot anyways and you'll need new ones so just keep them inflated enough to keep the car itself off the ground
Small fee?! Pshhh, just driving the Evo should be payment enough.

But really
1. Put it on jackstands
2. Let all the air out of the tires
3. Drain the fluids (All of them)

Honestly, if you're going to be gone for 3 years you might even have to replace all the belts, pulley's, ect when you return sooo. I would leave it with a family member who you know won't hoon the s*** out of it. (IMMEDIATE FAMILY)

Mind telling were you're going? Deployment, work overseas, cryogenically frozen?
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you prep it and store it in a clean dry area, it will be as good as when you parked it. no need to sell it. the absolute most important thing, is keeping pests and moisture away.

Last edited by n2oiroc; Dec 6, 2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Selling it absolutely not an option!!!!!!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
Selling it absolutely not an option!!!!!!
Why are you leaving it anyway, we all wanna know lol
Old Dec 6, 2011, 02:44 PM
Evolved Member

Please note that my personal advice is to IMMEDIATELY tune back to running gasoline. E85 will ruin every rubber component in the fuel system. You will want to run a few tanks of gasoline through the system prior to storage to minimize the damage E85 will do (this is why I am flabbergasted as to why people use E85 in anything other than a track-prepped car.

Steps I have either taken or heard of being good:

1.Change the oil
2. Top off fuel tank. Pour Stable into the tank and run it for a few minutes (to get it into the fuel lines) Do not drain it. A empty tank will cause condensation and your tank will start to rust!
3.Top off all fluids
4. Clean the interior of the car. Make sure there are no fast food wrappers, candy bar in it. Use a box of baking soda or odor absorber.
5. Close all windows, trunk, hood. (Prevents rodents from entering and building nests.)
6.. Jack up the car and put it on blocks (this will prevent flat spots)
7.Store the car in gear. DO NOT put the emergency brake on. (It will rust in place.
8.. Pull the battery out of the car and put it into the basement, garage, shed on a trickle charger.
9..Stuff a rag into your tail pipe. This will prevent rodents from building a nest in your muffler.
10.Cover the car with a good qualitycar cover. If you decide not to then use a uv sunshade on the windshield and rear window. This will keep the car cooler inside (prevents the dash from cracking)

Lastly, My family and restoration shop has used these with great effect when storing cars for a few years.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...r,+set+of+4.do

Last edited by Ryan.Kauz; Dec 6, 2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:30 PM
Evolved Member

Going to Japan for the military that's after a year in Korea
Old Dec 6, 2011, 09:52 PM
Evolving Member

Keep the ECU separated from the car, drain all the fluids including the gas and unplug the battery. Make sure the place is dry, you can get like 10-15 of those moisture eating packs.

http://www.ehow.com/how_14375_prepare-car-long.html
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:07 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Ryan.Kauz
Please note that my personal advice is to IMMEDIATELY tune back to running gasoline. E85 will ruin every rubber component in the fuel system. You will want to run a few tanks of gasoline through the system prior to storage to minimize the damage E85 will do (this is why I am flabbergasted as to why people use E85 in anything other than a track-prepped car.

Steps I have either taken or heard of being good:

1.Change the oil
2. Top off fuel tank. Pour Stable into the tank and run it for a few minutes (to get it into the fuel lines) Do not drain it. A empty tank will cause condensation and your tank will start to rust!
3.Top off all fluids
4. Clean the interior of the car. Make sure there are no fast food wrappers, candy bar in it. Use a box of baking soda or odor absorber.
5. Close all windows, trunk, hood. (Prevents rodents from entering and building nests.)
6.. Jack up the car and put it on blocks (this will prevent flat spots)
7.Store the car in gear. DO NOT put the emergency brake on. (It will rust in place.
8.. Pull the battery out of the car and put it into the basement, garage, shed on a trickle charger.
9..Stuff a rag into your tail pipe. This will prevent rodents from building a nest in your muffler.
10.Cover the car with a good qualitycar cover. If you decide not to then use a uv sunshade on the windshield and rear window. This will keep the car cooler inside (prevents the dash from cracking)

Lastly, My family and restoration shop has used these with great effect when storing cars for a few years.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...r,+set+of+4.do
Deff sounds like he knows that hes talking about, Especially about the E85 part! That sh*t will eat your hoses and anything else ruber alive!

Also... sorry to rub it in... But till this day, I still thank god i got my orders changed from going to Oki!
Old Dec 6, 2011, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TKEVO
Going to Japan for the military that's after a year in Korea
Oh joy. Have fun with the back to back overseas. I couldn't do that. Korea is one place I'm definitely trying to hide from!
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:20 AM

I dont know why many of these guys are getting all upset over storing it for 3 years. Heck my grand national sat for 10 years without any of the above stuff and still runs great to this day, and it has sat for another 2 years so far. But changed the oil, drain the coolant as that stuff will eat up the inside of the block and jack it up. Not much to it.

Also make sure you have a full tank of gas when you store it with fuel stabil, my grand national started up on 10 year old gas.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 12:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Something to add to the above information, if you're storing the car on blocks, the springs/struts will be hanging there, and may need to be rebuilt by the time you return. You could just take them off and store them separately. Just a thought.
Old Dec 7, 2011, 02:44 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moisture eating packages are expensive. Since winter is on the way you can buy calcium chloride ice melt. That's what I use in my EVO.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 05:52 PM
Evolved Member

Moisture packs, y?

Why would you not want to go to Oki or Korea?

Disconnect ECU?
Old Dec 8, 2011, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Shouldn't you store a car with a full tank? That's how they store air planes to prevent condensation in the tank. I would put fresh fluids in, a fresh tank of 93 and a lot of STA-BIL. Put it on jack stands and spray the rotors down with WD40 with the calipers removed. Throw a car cover on it and lock it up in a storage unit and PRE PAY the unit for a few months over the three years. Try and find one that's climate controlled. When you get home, drain the tank, send the injectors in to be cleaned/balanced, fresh spark plugs, and start her up. Enjoy your new to you car all over again.... I hope this helps. Selling a modded car in this economy is not an option. So if you can afford it, keep it.
Old Dec 8, 2011, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

yea i know full tank is best

Quick Reply: Concerns: Garaged EVO??