Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Concerns: Garaged EVO??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by metalsaber
The difference being that he'll sell the car now at a higher price and in 3 years, be able to buy a similar car back at a cheaper price. It makes good financial sense vs sitting on the car for 3 yrs and just losing money.
Well its not losing money on anything if you are keeping it
Old Dec 11, 2011, 09:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TKEVO
Well its not losing money on anything if you are keeping it
Actually yes he would. The depreciation over 3 years will be significant. Like I stated if he sells today at today's prices will be much higher than prices in 3 years. Sell today and pocket the money, then buy Sgain in 3 yrs when the prices are cheaper.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are you going to be paying to store it?

Rather than keeping the tank full of gas, why not run it dry and open the system up and allow all the fuel to evaporate and dry? This would prevent any concerns about condensation and the fuel possibly doing any damage on the inside.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Actually yes he would. The depreciation over 3 years will be significant. Like I stated if he sells today at today's prices will be much higher than prices in 3 years. Sell today and pocket the money, then buy Sgain in 3 yrs when the prices are cheaper.
I think his car is custom built which would make it harder to get the same car again and require alot of work, if it was stock I'd say sell it 110% but if you love your car and have put work into it and it's more than just financial value to you then store it. Depends on how much you love that particular car. It will depreciate, that's inevitable.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:22 PM
Evolved Member

Nobody with a modified evo cares about what the value of the car is gonna be in 3 years, its like a bottom factor for keeping it at this point.
Old Dec 14, 2011, 11:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Ok guys, he's not selling the car. I wouldn't sell mine either. I appreciate that he built up his motor and everything else and doesn't turn around and sell it like most on this forum.

He needs a full tank of 93 oct and switch his tune back to 93.

Seafoam may be an idea for part of the prep process.

Good luck and I hope your 3 year stint flies by.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:11 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by project_skyline
Nobody with a modified evo cares about what the value of the car is gonna be in 3 years, its like a bottom factor for keeping it at this point.
Ummmm part the car out and make more money?
Old Dec 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

My Evo was stored for 20 months while I was in Okinawa.. Your car will be fine. Just make sure you follow most of the advice given in this thread..
Old Dec 15, 2011, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

find someone who will store the car for you and start it up maybe take it around the block for you every now and again. 3yrs is a long time for a car to just sit. im sure you can go to a classic car storage and maybe see what they would charge you to do these things.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 11:47 AM

the car should be fine in storage, if you prepare it for storage correctly. I would also not sell my car if i was leaving for a couple years. its something to look forward to when you get back.
Old Dec 15, 2011, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

Ummmm part the car out and make more money?
Why does it matter if he parts it out and/or sells it?

He is leaving, doesn't mean the car needs to be sold. It will sit and wait for him. If I was going away for a long time I'd want to have something nice to look forward to coming back to.

Regardless OP stated pretty clearly he isn't selling it. That isn't even what he asked!
Old Dec 15, 2011, 05:09 PM
Evolved Member

Mine has been sitting on jackstands for the past 4 months. The engine is pulled out of it, and it will probably sit for maybe a full year Im sure. Rodents is the main issue. They can chew up wiring and really mess up your car. Beyond that maybe put some dessicant bags inside the car so you dont get mold. I polished and waxed my car before I stored it. Puting on a car cover is not a bad idea as well. 3 years will go by fast, I wouldnt sell it.