Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Quick question on AEM wideband

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick question on AEM wideband

Hi! I'm considering of buying a digital AEM wideband a/f unit but the analog gauge only shows values between 11 - 17? What happen when you reach lower than 11 and bigger than 17? Will the digital display be able to show them?Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 16, 2011, 12:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
when my digital goes below, the gauges just reads 10.0 when it goes lean it just reads --- if i recall correctly.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:02 AM

So when it shows 10 it doesn't actually mean 10 if you get what I mean? And when deaccelerating it just goes blank? Not that I wanna run my evo lean but what's the max lean shown on the gauge do you know? Sorry for asking too much but I'm really interested in buying. Thanks for the reply sujinX!

Last edited by lalu; Dec 16, 2011 at 01:14 AM.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've owned the LC-1, AEM wideband, and the new MTX-L. The AEM is probably the easiest to install and will read leaner than you would ever want to run a car. If it does get to 10.0 it means the AFR is either 10.0 or lower. The MTX-L and LC-1 rear a little lower than that but you wouldn't have a car running that rich anyway so its kinda a moot point.

Currently I am on the MTX-L and am pretty happy with it except for the fact that you have to basically uninstall it if you want to move the gauge because it can't disconnect from the back. The AEM is a great little unit, I prefer the MTX-L over it but might try the zeitronix if I ever have to get another one.

Also usually on decel when the injectors turn off the AEM (and any wideband) will just go full lean, doesn't usually turn off. Mine reads 22.0 or something like that. Really the digital display is all that matters, the little led bars around the gauge or just there. Honestly even the digital gauge doesn't matter so much, the data log is the most important part.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:26 AM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
When your wot what does it read?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:41 AM

Thanks for your opinions akeric! Great to have someone with experience in different makes. I definitely take your opinions on board. Honestly I prefer Zeitronix but the price puts me off atm. I thought about MTX-L too but it's still considered new and I've heard about not so good things about Innovate products. I think I'll have a go with AEM. Why do you prefer MTX-L over AEM?
Old Dec 16, 2011, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by MR. EVO MR
When your wot what does it read?
Thanks! I take it you're asking me. This is the thing, I'm trying to find out the root cuase of my lean. I'm thinking of getting a permanent wideband as I can't afford multiple dyno sessions. Ok, the frightening figure at wot is 13.2! It started leaning at 18,17,16 and gradually richen up at 13+ wot, still lean. I've tried different pumps, fprs, bypassed fpr solenoid, checked leak, ...no joy. I was thinking my ECU had been tempered, flashed. I bought the my 7 used with SAFC installed by the previous owner but I had it removed. It should've returned to stock setting, shouldn't it?

(I posted the same issue in lancerregister.com)
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes if you removed the safc the ecu should now just be running the standard fuel maps. The aem wideband is a very good unit and is why many people use them. It will read from 18 to 10. On decel im fairly certain the gauge should read --- since the injectors turn off. If yours is only going as low as 13.2 on wot the first thing I would check is the sensor. After you confirm it is working properly I would suggest having someone take a look at the current tune or have it tuned if its not.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by awdordie
Yes if you removed the safc the ecu should now just be running the standard fuel maps. The aem wideband is a very good unit and is why many people use them. It will read from 18 to 10. On decel im fairly certain the gauge should read --- since the injectors turn off. If yours is only going as low as 13.2 on wot the first thing I would check is the sensor. After you confirm it is working properly I would suggest having someone take a look at the current tune or have it tuned if its not.

Thanks awdordie! Yes I've heard mostly good things about AEM and it's the choice I won't regret. I'm glad it's ONLY 13.2 at wot otherwise I would've run into all sorts of trouble. I'm sure the sensor is working but I will check it again. Yea I need to find someone about the current tune although I doubt I will ever find a good one my area.
Old Dec 16, 2011, 09:47 AM
Evolving Member

The zeitronix is the best quality USA made unit available in widebands. I have been using one for a few years now. They can also accept other sensors and display AFR,Boost,air temp, oil temp, oil press, sst temp, egt etc. Compatible with evoscan datalogging right into your evoscan logs too.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 12:18 AM

Right a little update. I just installed my new AEM wideband before the decat at 1 o'clock position and the gauge reads richer!! Had quick dyno runs (with tailpipe sniffers at dynamic AND dynojet) for comparisons and was told by the tuners there my AEM was 0.5 richer? Now WHICH ONE I should trust, AEM or dynos? I would be happy if its the AEM as it cures my lean issue!

Is the location of the sensor really affect that much? Or is there something fishy which I'm not aware of with the dyno calibration perhaps idk? FYI I have HKS silent power, 3" TBE. The rest is stock AFAIK.

Yes gkania, zeitronix is the best affordable wideband. It's actually on top of my list and definitely I will be getting one, when my aem starts ageing.

Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 01:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 124 Likes on 108 Posts
I would say that the value that is read from the dyno is the more accurate value.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:09 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 126 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by deylag
I would say that the value that is read from the dyno is the more accurate value.
You think reading the AFRs at the tailpipe is more accurate than reading it closer to the turbo?
Old Dec 28, 2011, 07:31 AM
Evolving Member

i have an 03 EVO still with the UTEC, SAFCII, AEM A/F guage( all from orginal owner), on my normal operation i run between 14.7- 16 on the guage, on my decel i --- (flat line as well) under boost i run anywhere between high 10-13.5. AEM!!!!
Old Dec 28, 2011, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by lalu
Right a little update. I just installed my new AEM wideband before the decat at 1 o'clock position and the gauge reads richer!! Had quick dyno runs (with tailpipe sniffers at dynamic AND dynojet) for comparisons and was told by the tuners there my AEM was 0.5 richer? Now WHICH ONE I should trust, AEM or dynos? I would be happy if its the AEM as it cures my lean issue!

Is the location of the sensor really affect that much? Or is there something fishy which I'm not aware of with the dyno calibration perhaps idk? FYI I have HKS silent power, 3" TBE. The rest is stock AFAIK.

Yes gkania, zeitronix is the best affordable wideband. It's actually on top of my list and definitely I will be getting one, when my aem starts ageing.

Thanks in advance!
You should go by what your gauge is telling you. The tailpipe sniffers are going to be off. The location of your wideband measures the true afr's.

Quick Reply: Quick question on AEM wideband