Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

E85 800-1000hp Fuel System Setups

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2011, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E85 800-1000hp Fuel System Setups

I've been debating on how to go about setting up my fuel system for my build. It's a 2.0ltr 10.5:1 compression motor with a FF HTA3794. I plan to ring this turbo out to it's max potential. Everything on the car is setup to accomplish this except the fuel system. I have a Magnus Fuel Rail, ID2000 Injectors, and a Fuel Lab FPR. I do have a Buschur Double Pumper but I'm not convinced that this is enough to meet my fueling needs. I have seen several cars run out of fuel with this at 700-750hp on a Mustang Dyno.

I honestly want to keep the setup simple with a single powerful pump like an Aeromotive Eliminator pump but I'm not sure how this would work with the stock tank which is why I have considered a fuel cell. Ive searched through the forum for answers and most of what I see are people throwing out general ideas and not giving specifics on their setup. I would like to see pictures of what people have. BTW, if people are wondering, this will see the street more often than the strip.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
if you are going to use a cell and run the car on the street, dual bosch 044's. im keeping the stock tank and running dual 044's with a surge tank. all the big single pumps (even weldon) will eventually fail if you use them continous duty. im not a fan of walbros, made in china junk. 044's have proven to flow well and last forever.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by n2oiroc
if you are going to use a cell and run the car on the street, dual bosch 044's. im keeping the stock tank and running dual 044's with a surge tank. all the big single pumps (even weldon) will eventually fail if you use them continous duty. im not a fan of walbros, made in china junk. 044's have proven to flow well and last forever.
Forgive me for not understanding. So you're running the stock tank and a surge tank which I'm assuming will have two outlets for the 044's. So what is pumping fuel into the surge tank since I'm assuming it sits above the stock tank.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely subscribing to this, once Im done with my EF4 I've got my mind set on a 3794 setup as well.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Chu's Mom
Forgive me for not understanding. So you're running the stock tank and a surge tank which I'm assuming will have two outlets for the 044's. So what is pumping fuel into the surge tank since I'm assuming it sits above the stock tank.
ill just replace the stock oem in tank pump with something like the aeromotive stealth oem replacement pump to keep the surge tank full.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Definitely subscribing to this, once Im done with my EF4 I've got my mind set on a 3794 setup as well.
Sounds good man! I'm hoping to shock some people with this turbo. I have a fully Race Ported GSC head with valvetrain along with GSC S3 cams. This is a LR 2.0 high compression with a billet crank. Everything that's been done to my car so far has been well thought out and built for reliability. I want this fuel system to be the same. There are a lot of fuel setups that "WORK" but most people don't tell the whole story. There are a lot of things to consider like if it will be street driven or not. I'm not interesting in a lot of the solutions that I've heard so far. I'm not worried about cost. In a perfect world I want one high output pump to do the job and a controller to vary the voltage to the pump. In many people's minds it's overkill but to me it's not.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

here is the basic plumbing. just remove the "fuel pump" from near the tank as the stock pump is in tank. its a more complicated install than a double pumper, but you never have to worry about starving the pumps of fuel.

http://www.sdsefi.com/fuelsys.gif
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
Evolving Member

ill just replace the stock oem in tank pump with something like the aeromotive stealth oem replacement pump to keep the surge tank full.
I got ya! That sounds like a solid plan and one I'll definately consider. It seems this idea makes the most sense for a high hp street car. I wasn't aware of pumps burning up on the street and can definately see why. Regardless of what I do I'll be posting updates and pics since I can't find many on here. I've had JM Fabrications do all my fab work so far and we're talking about a custom fuel setup as well but I'm still considering the stock tank.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I got ya! That sounds like a solid plan and one I'll definately consider. It seems this idea makes the most sense for a high hp street car. I wasn't aware of pumps burning up on the street and can definately see why. Regardless of what I do I'll be posting updates and pics since I can't find many on here. I've had JM Fabrications do all my fab work so far and we're talking about a custom fuel setup as well but I'm still considering the stock tank.
there isnt much info on big pumps here. when i was putting a lot of thought into my fuel system i originally wanted a single big pump and a controller as it seemed like the most trouble free, failproof setup. after a lot of research, that seemd to be untrue for a street car. the supra forums have a lot of good info on the big singles and the consensus is, they all fail on the street eventually. even with a controller.

i originally had a nice custom surge tank made, but then i bought this as its less holes to drill.

http://www.intengineering.com/Integr...15580-1-2.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...urge-tank.html

Last edited by n2oiroc; Dec 18, 2011 at 10:34 AM.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

I've used a 10 gal summit racing fuel cell in the trunk with a Fuelab Prodigy pump. More than I ever needed so I went back to stock tank and Walbro. Aeromotive makes a nice baffled sump to weld into the stock tank, you should consider that ( http://aeromotiveinc.com/products-pa...tank-sump-box/ ) This way you could pickup from the sump and run a big external pump outside the tank.

Old pic of mine

Name:  IMG_0054.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  126.1 KB

Other similar setups:

Name:  31667_1444242754353_1481643354_3115.jpg
Size:  45.7 KB

Name:  picture15148zs4.jpg
Size:  79.2 KB
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

there isnt much info on big pumps here. when i was putting a lot of thought into my fuel system i originally wanted a single big pump and a controller as it seemed like the most trouble free, failproof setup. after a lot of research, that seemd to be untrue for a street car. the supra forums have a lot of good info on the big singles and the consensus is, they all fail on the street eventually. even with a controller.

i originally had a nice custom surge tank made, but then i bought this as its less holes to drill.

http://www.intengineering.com/Integr...15580-1-2.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...urge-tank.html
That IE surge tank looks like the way to go! That's awesome! So now I'm wondering if I should change up my double pumper to a traditional single to eliminate the extra pump and hobbs switch that could fail.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 10:50 AM
Evolved Member

That IE surge tank looks like the way to go! That's awesome! So now I'm wondering if I should change up my double pumper to a traditional single to eliminate the extra pump and hobbs switch that could fail.
thats another thing i was paranoid about. i actually bought a check valve and pressure switch to wire up an in dash led to let me know that the 2nd pump is running. im switching to a proefi ecu with a fuel pressure and oil pressure sensor so if a pump doesnt turn on or loses flow, it can shut it down. same if the oil pump dies, it will see low pressure and go into limp mode to keep it in one piece.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

im doing my surge tank under the hood and letting a 255 in tank fill it, just using the stock feed and return line to attack to the tank, and il run my weldon 750 under the hood coming off the tank..
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

i should be fabbing up a tank this week or next, il post some pics
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
in for pics

Quick Reply: E85 800-1000hp Fuel System Setups