Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo9 RHD to LHD swap?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I would buy a wrecked front lhd clip or start buying parts now if someone else could give me confirmation as to whats needed.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
isnt the whole firewall different? the master cylinder and steering column mounts/holes arent on both sides.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thats what i'd like to confirm if anyone has engine bay shots....
Old Dec 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have the CT9W in RHD. Any specific pics you want just let me know.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

I'd love to see some firewall shots to see if any cutting will be required!
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

Are there any RHD build threads with the engine out or perhaps a engine bay painting shot?
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i would say your best bet would be to build a lancer ralliart wagon fitted with evo front end and order some rear quarter panels from japan, or you can talk to this guy in Minnesota on how to do a conversion

this is his evo 3 converted rhd, he has a body shop in the states
http://www.evo123.net/showthread.php?t=523

all you would need is

- firewall
- steering rack
- all interior and dash (in worst cases lhd wire harness from an evo 9)
- Us seats as the rhd driver side seat sits lower normally than the passenger and might have a hight adjustment
- new brake lines
- the biggest job will have to be the relocation of the wipers but if you have the firewall parts you can do it probably

i'd say for the lhd conversion find a 2004 lancer ralliart model for all parts on the dash firewall wipers and stuff, the swap is pretty simple, just time consuming and $$$

hope this helps good luck

shawn
Old Jan 5, 2012, 07:43 AM
Evolved Member

Anyone have any connections to getting those rear quarter panels? I didnt' think you could order them seperately. Still debating the quarter panel route since it pretty much requires the car to be repainted. Which would put me at the mercy of a bodyshop.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Jan 5, 2012 at 08:07 AM.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Anyone have any connections to getting those rear quarter panels? I didnt' think you could order them seperately. Still debating the quarter panel route since it pretty much requires the car to be repainted. Which would put me at the mercy of a bodyshop.
ya but a ok paint job will cost you 1000-1500$, thats just the importing fee off terra2import so it come to the same

do you want it awd and 4g63t powered?

maybe you could mold these??

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/03-07-EVOLUTI...item45fe96f665
Old Jan 7, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolved Member

An ok complete repaint of a car in my neck of the woods costs more in the 5k+ range and when you throw custom molding ontop of that... yeah i'd rather not go that route if possible.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshields are also different from LHD to RHD.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
I don't know the details of an Evo RHD/LHD conversion, but on Hondas the best method is to source a front clip and have it welded onto your car. Swaps like this are pretty common with Honda/Acura and Nissans.

If you're looking to convert it for the sake of making it legal, you should probably look into your local laws regarding this. In the USA, what you're talking about doing could be very illegal if not done properly.

that's a good idea, because most likely the actually firewall lower dash is different from RHD and LHD.... I think that will be your biggest hurtle.. all other parts can be purchased easily
Old Jan 8, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grimgrak
An ok complete repaint of a car in my neck of the woods costs more in the 5k+ range and when you throw custom molding ontop of that... yeah i'd rather not go that route if possible.
If money is an issue, this doesn't seem like the best idea to convert a RHD evo wagon to LHD. It will cost a ton of money just to do a swap with parts from a USDM evo and will end up costing far more than 5k+ range even if you found a salvaged/junker evo to do the swap with (you would have to find one from the US and bring it to Canada anyways).

Another thing that comes to mind is the fact the ct9w is rare as it is in Japan, so by the time you can import one legally into Canada (8-9 years from today) will you even be able to find one. If you're looking to do this sooner than 8-9 years and save the cash, your best bet is probably to take a 2004-06 ralliart wagon and do an engine swap, drivetrain swap and exterior body work.

Good luck with it, if you decide to take the plunge in 2020.

Last edited by reboundicon; Jan 8, 2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

There is also the option of the ubuilt route which would require the car to be stripped to nuts and bolts and shipped over as parts. Rebuilt and titled which can be done at any time.

Having a tig and a plasma cutter I'd much rather go the real deal method of cutting out the firewall, rather than throwing on a couple body flares and needing to source all the other parts to make it a real evo.

So it will come down to buying a LHD wagon along with stripped down part out frame(firewall) and ordering a new rack , new brake lines and a windshield.

Or buying a front clip,flares,spoiler risk a mystery of some missing part and slap it on a rally art wagon with a new paintjob. Again I still dont have any sourcing to get the body panels required for this method.

Regardless the lhd to rhd drive swap part of the equation is personal preference not legality.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Jan 9, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone got any resources for part #'s?

Quick Reply: evo9 RHD to LHD swap?