Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo9 RHD to LHD swap?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How is this going to work OP? I'm in Canada as well, and how are you planning to get a ct9w into Canada at all? Customs will just label it as export only and then you have a car that either gets crushed or exported to another country at your cost.

You cant tell them "Yeah i'm going to convert it to lhd", and think they will allow it in the country. Because they wont.

Last edited by quadracer111; Jan 10, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 08:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Custom titled u built. I can also see the rear doors are different. Which is why i'm very hesitant to get a ralliart wagon and start ordering jdm parts... vs buying a jdm and doing a conversion.
Originally Posted by quadracer111
How is this going to work OP? I'm in Canada as well, and how are you planning to get a ct9w into Canada at all? Customs will just label it as export only and then you have a car that either gets crushed or exported to another country at your cost.

You cant tell them "Yeah i'm going to convert it to lhd", and think they will allow it in the country. Because they wont.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 10:26 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry about the delay but I got some pics for ya.

Interior.

Pedal assembly.

Engine bay.

Firewall driver's side. (RHD)

Firewall passenger side.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Another thing that comes to mind is the fact the ct9w is rare as it is in Japan
It's not that difficult to find them. I was able to find 4 (3 autos, 1 manual) available for export at one japanese exporter with a quick search. There are two available for sale right now in NZ.

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
There is also the option of the ubuilt route which would require the car to be stripped to nuts and bolts and shipped over as parts. Rebuilt and titled which can be done at any time.
Just how much do you have to dismantle the car to go this route?
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
It's not that difficult to find them. I was able to find 4 (3 autos, 1 manual) available for export at one japanese exporter with a quick search. There are two available for sale right now in NZ.

Just how much do you have to dismantle the car to go this route?
The OP would have to find one 10 years from now, so I doubt there will be many easily attainable ct9w's let alone Evo IX's. They were made in much limited numbers and years opposed to the s15's, rx7's and supras you see all day from jdm importers.

Also if he wanted to bring it in legally before 10 years he would have to bring it in a crate full of parts stripped down to the bone. I knew a guy that brought over an R34 and he actually had to strip the car down completely down to cutting the frame in half.

This may be a serious dreamer project and I can see it costing more than $50k in Canada to complete. This is based on the fact an Evo IX goes for almost $30k in good shape in Canada, if you can even find one.
Old Jan 10, 2012, 11:57 PM
Evolved Member

I don't think they would be that difficult to find in the future (looking internationally). Looking at TME evos (same quantities built over 5 years earlier), of which more would've been used for rally and wrecked, the availability is still similar to the wagon.

For the OP. Prices in Japan are around 700,000 (AT) - 1,500,000 (MT) yen. In NZ we have 2 available 24K and 30K NZD, both MT. I have no idea what the canadian dollar is like but considering freight and work needed I hope you have deep pockets.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

I still havn't decided which route to go if only there was a jdm parts list for both the ct9a ct9w so I could verify all the parts i'd need to just buy a lhd ralliart wagon and do the swap that way seems to be the most cost effective.
Old Jan 11, 2012, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
why dont you import one from europe (spain, germany), and it will be LHD to begin with. If Canada's laws are less stringent why dont you just import one from the US lol
lol most countries in europe are LHD includind spain and germany. England on the other hand is RHD... but british pound is a little pricey for our U.S. dollar

Last edited by dsmbruno; Jan 11, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Andy thanks for the pictures! I absolutely plan on doing a full engine/trans build to make this thing a screamer but getting it here will be the problem.

Bruno ct9w where made only rhd so not sure what your getting at. I would probally have to find a sportback ralliart from the states and attempt to order the right body parts if i went about it that way.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Grimgrak
Andy thanks for the pictures! I absolutely plan on doing a full engine/trans build to make this thing a screamer but getting it here will be the problem.

Bruno ct9w where made only rhd so not sure what your getting at. I would probally have to find a sportback ralliart from the states and attempt to order the right body parts if i went about it that way.
i was refering to vehicles in general, in this case an evo 9. My mistake, I thought u were attempting an evo 9 RHD swap, not an evo 9 wagon. Sorry for the mix up. Anyway, good luck as I already thought about doing this myself. Maybe next year let us know where u can find a RHD swap with no motor/trans

Last edited by dsmbruno; Jan 12, 2012 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 11:08 PM
Evolved Member

I saw a ct9w with 146k on it going for 12,000$ but the auction had already closed
PS to you guys in NZ where do you go for parts? I'm hoping you have some kind of english RHD part resource so I could compare some part numbers with?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 10:21 AM
Evolved Member

Andy do your rear seats fold down flat? Heard that evo rear seats dont fold down at all?
Old Jan 18, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolved Member

We just get our parts from the same place as you guys, dealers, online, oem suppliers etc.

Yeah the back seats in the wagon fold down flat, heaps of space. Sedan doesn't fold down at all.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Any are all cars RHD in NZ? I am hoping to find a country with both rhd/lhd dealer so cross referencing part #'s would be easier...
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:28 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah we've only got RHD (a few exceptions but no japs), I don't think there are any countries that will have both.

I don't think you will need a huge amount of different parts for a conversion, a donor CT9A front cut should give you everything you need.

Quick Reply: evo9 RHD to LHD swap?