Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

evo9 RHD to LHD swap?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the conversion. Should be interesting you're able to bring one over.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Any idea if all lancers share the same firewall? Maybe I could buy a base model to chop up instead for the LHD firewall..
Old Mar 4, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Attached Thumbnails evo9 RHD to LHD swap?-img_1014.jpg   evo9 RHD to LHD swap?-img_1015.jpg  
Old Mar 4, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolved Member

Attached Thumbnails evo9 RHD to LHD swap?-img_1016.jpg   evo9 RHD to LHD swap?-img_1017.jpg  
Old Jul 3, 2012, 09:40 PM
Evolved Member

Looking at going the route of converted a lhd 04 sportback, only concern is.... is there additional spotwelding frame bracing on the ct9w that would not be found on the fwd sportback? Of course cutting the floor pan out of a evo 9 and transplanting would be required but I'm still worried if it will require further bracing.

Unless of course someone has some connections for landing a rhd ct9w in north america. I could care less about registering the car as then i'd be able to do a firewall swap.
Old Jul 4, 2012, 06:00 PM

I have a rhd Evo and we could swap firewalls and interior parts pm me
Old Jul 5, 2012, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Can u get a rhd evo 9 wagon? Not sure what good rhd evo 9 firewall would do me...I want a LHD finished product.
Originally Posted by iitzbebo
I have a rhd Evo and we could swap firewalls and interior parts pm me
Old Jul 11, 2012, 05:12 PM

Hi guys ,

my name is Simon .
I am from Canada and new member on this site .
I am thinking of this project couple weeks ago .
It looks very difficult to create the Evo9 wagon LHD .. mayne parts to switch , lot of time and $$$

I check every parts , i find parts number sheet for the evo wagon in Japan ..
The floor/frame/firewall/body is totaly different i think if you compare a regular FWD lancer's with an the Evo AWD .
That mean a lot of cut/weld/fit .. and tons of work .

The rear doors are the same except the top/window frame around.

So i think the easyest way to build this dream machine in Canada is :

-Buy an Evo9 MR in USA.
-Buy a cheap base model lancer wagon in Canada .
-Buy the rear fenders, rear bumpers, rear trunk floor and body accessories from Japan .
-Find a really good body shop to cut the rear end of the 4-door Evo to swap the wagon body on.

I think this is pretty dialed to do.. but probably the less expensive project to have this car in America and LHD .

2 questions for you guys if you can help me (AndyCT9W owner) :

**Do you know if the inside trunk body (cargo floor) have same shape on a evo9 and evo9 wagon ?

Looks really different on the photos attached .. its really important to make sure i can fold the seats down after the swap .. and suspension fit well .
I don't think the regular ralliart wagon use the same floor as an AWD Evo wagon.
If anybody know someone with a evo wagon..let me know the difference with the wagon.
Sounds weard if they made 4 diffirent floor ..

**Do the rear shocks/coil spring are the same on an evo9 and evo9 wagon ?

(car little bit heavier .. 150 lbs)

If you have suggestion or comments to do , give me a hand .
I want that car ahah . look sweet and sleeper .

Thanks .

Simon

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Jul 12, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Good spot about the rear cargo areas being different in depth as well. The floor obviously had to be cut for the awd however I didn't think the firewall would also need to be cut. There was a guy in eastern canada that was willing to do this swap, hipsicanadaguy is his name on here.

Last edited by Grimgrak; Jul 12, 2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 07:53 PM

ok , thanks Grimgrak .
I see that they are not the same ..
At first, they take the wagon body side and add renforcement .. but the evo floor and drivetrain still the same on this evo wagon if i read good .

I ask you guys to make sure this is possible .
The only question i have now is about the aluminium roof on some Evo 8-9 ..
I think the base version keep the steel roof .. probably more easy to weld the wagon evo body on.

thanks for the contact info , i will try to contact him if he know some infos about the project .
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:26 PM
Evolved Member

Hi, I've been trying to respond but then I got busy and then I forgot but it doesn't matter, I remembered.

Originally Posted by trep13
**Do you know if the inside trunk body (cargo floor) have same shape on a evo9 and evo9 wagon ?
It is possible that they are different but I am not certain. The wagon actually has slightly less trunk space than the sedan, but more room in the rear seating. I will make an effort to remove everything from the rear and take some pictures for you.

Looks really different on the photos attached .. its really important to make sure i can fold the seats down after the swap .. and suspension fit well .
There has been alterations done to the wagon to strengthen the rear frame to enable the open rear format of a wagon. Personally I would leave the seats in the sedan format, fixed in place. You will need to remove structural parts of the car and reapply structural strengthening in other locations.

I don't think the regular ralliart wagon use the same floor as an AWD Evo wagon.
If anybody know someone with a evo wagon..let me know the difference with the wagon.
Sounds weard if they made 4 diffirent floor ..
The floor format is taken from the evo 9 sedan. Something to keep in mind that the CT9W is more evo than wagon. Essentially it is an Evo 9 sedan with adaptations to make it a kick *** wagon.

**Do the rear shocks/coil spring are the same on an evo9 and evo9 wagon ?

(car little bit heavier .. 150 lbs)
The GT wagon uses the same bilsteins as the JDM Evo 9 MR, they may be tuned slightly differently to accomodate for the weight but I don't think it is a huge bother. Easy way around it, install aftermarket coilovers and be done.

Originally Posted by trep13
The only question i have now is about the aluminium roof on some Evo 8-9 .
Scrap the aluminum roof and use the roof off the lancer wagon.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 05:46 AM

thanks Amdy for your advices .

I want a sport wagon because i ride bicycle a lot ,work in a bike shop and i use the cargo space a lot.
I love hatchback 5-door car (Golf exemple) but i want more room a little with a sport handling .

So i need the folding seats on the rear ..

The Evo9 use the sedan floor like you said Andy , and they take the wagon side pannels/inerpannels and add renforcement to the top on the rear shocks , and as well under the floor on the rear cargo space .
That mean i can use the wagon base model lancer in Canada , but the rear and the buy the rear fenders evo wagon , the rear inner fenders that you see on the parts picture , rear coil adjustement, rear bumpers and couple accessorie around and built this up .
That be a big project i know , but probably more simple than swap all the sedan parts on the wagon..
About the roof , i want to cut after the firts door .. so thats why i am thinking about the weld over .. aluminium steel .. but like you said , just cut on the side of the windshield instead .

Waitng for your pics when you get a chance . appeciate .
A picture or 2 under the car can be great to see compare to a regular wagon/evo 9 sedan .

thanks for your help .

That be awesome to made this car and ride it , and the first evo wagon in America !
Old Jul 28, 2012, 08:20 PM

HI ,

since i see this picture of the Evo wagon body structure , and received confirmation form Japan that its not really possible to import the car in Canada ...
There is not too much possibilities to made this project

They only option i think we have here in Canada (America) to do this car is :

-swap the Evo sedan parts on a base wagon model with custom fitting , and order in japan the rear bumpers,fenders and accessories .. the rear seats gonna stay fix instead of folding ..and i am not too much into it because its important for me to keep the folding wagon seats .

If someone have a better idea to made this project done simply , feel free to give a hand .

thanks

Simon

Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

The photo of the wheel well as promised.

Attached Thumbnails evo9 RHD to LHD swap?-photo.jpg  
Old May 8, 2013, 09:51 PM

I know this is old topic but I just posted a tonne of CT9W Vs CT9A Vs CS5W info in this thread here https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10798639

Quick Reply: evo9 RHD to LHD swap?