Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

From BMW --> Evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by YogSaahoth
I live in Colchester too at the moment. This is a great place to have an evo, since there are but handful around...and the subarus in the area can't keep up..trust me lol. Mine is the ultra clean silver wingless one you've probably heard stories about haha. I only drive it in the summer tho. Had my evo for almost 6 years and know the ins and outs of this car. Let me know if I can help out with anything once you get one.

My advice on buying one...don't get one from the tri-state area. No offense to downstate NY, NJ and CT, but they are notorious for being hard on their cars. Not to mention rough roads and serious salty winters. Wave bye-bye to the idea of finding an un-modded evo too. They will most likely all be modded at some point...the key is finding one that has been cared for properly. One of the best ways to do that is to find one FS on the forum. That way you can track what the owner has done to the car and possibly any problems they have encountered. And chances are, if they have taken the time to join a forum to learn/share the car, they care enough about it to maintain it properly (not true 100% of the time tho). I drove to PA for mine, and would have driven further if necessary. Head as far south as you can bear to travel...good luck
Yeah, must've been you. Heard it may have been an MR, and with NY plates. ahah

I know they'll mostly have mods for the most part, I'd actually prefer it if it came with a nice exhaust and tune. Saves me the trouble and money for the most part.

Thanks again!
I'll try to keep an eye on the for sale subsection.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hero313
I feel all e46 interiors are the same.
323, 330 or M3.
Of course there's certain differences (like M3 badges all over the place on ///Ms, alcantara seats + steering wheel, etc.) but it still feels pretty luxurious in comparison to Japanese cars I've sat in.

I have to disagree with you on that. The E46 M3 interior is much much nicer than the other 3 series BMW. I drove one for years and worked one many other BMW's as a tech. There are so many minor difference it adds up. But I'm sure this is more of a preference thing rather than just glancing at them.

Any luck on finding what you're looking for?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Graphic
I have to disagree with you on that. The E46 M3 interior is much much nicer than the other 3 series BMW. I drove one for years and worked one many other BMW's as a tech. There are so many minor difference it adds up. But I'm sure this is more of a preference thing rather than just glancing at them.

Any luck on finding what you're looking for?
Yeah, I mis-worded that. The e46 M3 interior I'm sure is extremely better, I've heard a lot of the feel of the car in general. The steering wheel, seats, look more luxurious and probably feel it too (alcantara ftw).
What I meant was it's generally driven the same. The interior of the e46 (and most other BMWs) is designed with the driver in mind. Everything seems to flow so well in terms of shape.
The Evo is a bit bland interior wise, but I'll get over it quickly. I'll probably end up dropping in a Pioneer nav unit/replace the steering wheel with something more comfortable than plastic (which is what it looks like anyway). But that'll be waaay after all the fun mods.

I'm willing to sacrifice luxury for speed. Maybe it's because I'm 18. Lol

I haven't sat in one yet but I see them some-what often.

No luck yet really, school just started back up a couple weeks ago and I haven't done anything with the BMW. I gotta focus on my schoolwork till Springtime, that's what I plan to find the Evo.

Dragstrip in Napierville opens around then too.

Last edited by Hero313; Jan 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:05 AM

Couldnt see the listing for the black one and the silver one seems a bit over priced for almost 100k..i just picked up my stock IX MR with only 12k for alil more than 20k..id say just keep searching around until u find the right one for the right price, dont settle. I kno your up in vermont but ive been seein alot of evos for sale in MA lately in case your willin to take the drive. Good luck though on your search!
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
went from a 200k mile e46 323i to evo ix this month. the bmw sure encouraged me to do my own maintenance. despite the mileage the bmw feels so much more solid and refined inside, but getting back into it after the evo it's more of a solid and refined bus packed with concrete that is steered with play dough.

low end torque is a luxury i can do without, hitting boost up hill as if you're being carried up by a hurricane more than makes up for it, not to mention the agility
Old Jan 27, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
funny thing is that I'm slower off the line in the evo since the 323 was an auto and i left for brake whenever i can, i actually took on e92 m3s, elises, etc in that rusty old bucket

those of course weren't races, just trying to out merge each other at lights
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by IgotabigEVO
Couldnt see the listing for the black one and the silver one seems a bit over priced for almost 100k..i just picked up my stock IX MR with only 12k for alil more than 20k..id say just keep searching around until u find the right one for the right price, dont settle. I kno your up in vermont but ive been seein alot of evos for sale in MA lately in case your willin to take the drive. Good luck though on your search!
Yeah I think the black one sold already. But I'll keep that info in mind, I'm definitely willing to make the drive to Mass, it's only a few hours.

@Name User
When it comes to regular day-by-day driving, did you notice a difference in handling? Imo, the BMW is a beast around the corners, and I've got sub-par all-season tires that have about 70% tread.

The 323's low-end torque can be exciting though. I raced a friend in his 350z off a launch at a red light and I beat him...mostly because he can't launch for ****. Lol
Off a highway 30mph roll, I pulled on him at the start, a couple seconds later he just ripped by me.

There's nothing like the sound of turbo spool and the JDM engine/exhaust noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRGMl...el_video_title

Intoxicating.
I can hear my friend's STi coming when he's literally 2-3 miles away from my house. I want that. Even though my neighbors hate me enough already.

Last edited by Hero313; Jan 28, 2012 at 08:41 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:27 AM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hero313
The 323's low-end torque can be exciting though. I raced a friend in his 350z off a launch at a red light and I beat him...mostly because he can't launch for ****. Lol
Off a highway 30mph roll, I pulled on him at the start, a couple seconds later he just ripped by me.

There's nothing like the sound of turbo spool and the JDM engine/exhaust noise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRGMl...el_video_title

Intoxicating. Lol I can't wait for the Evo to be loud as a ****.
I can hear my friend's STi coming when he's literally 2-3 miles away from my house. I want that. Lol
You're technically just old enough not to be called a child, you have no real experience with high-performance machines, you plan of street racing your buddies who (like you) have been driving for only a few years, and you want to do this in an Evolution. Let me be the one to say it; perhaps you could ask your your mom and dad could buy you something other than an Evo. Best of luck.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:41 AM

Well that's not really it. We go to the dragstrip to race there instead. Safer, and legal.
Not to be giving off the wrong idea.

I figured I'd test a pull against his 350z because my car won't be heading to the strip (opens in the middle of May, I plan to sell it before then).

The temptation must be there while owning an Evo, so I'd doubt it if any of the members here claimed they never tried a pull with a buddy on the high way.
I've never owned a quick car, so maybe I don't reserve any room to speak of it. But in my experience, people with quick cars don't casually cruise on the highway all the time. I may be young, but hitting max boost while going in a straight line isn't something that I'd find scary to do. Given, it'd take a while to get used to the Evo's power in comparison to the e46.

Last edited by Hero313; Jan 28, 2012 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 5speedwtneed
Yeah for those miles I would be looking at 14k-15k for those. My IX MR had 63k miles and I got it for $19,000. And it's super clean inside and out. Oh and mine only had 1 owner =]
That means mine is only worth $19
Old Jan 28, 2012, 12:53 PM

I just traded in my slightly modded si for my evo but before that i had a BMW 325i, that i totalled unfortunately(RIP) but i loved that thing and the low end torque was pretty nice and for a car that didnt really have alot of hp their pretty quick and the handling around corners was amazing, ill always be a BMW guy but the overall power and raw feeling you get with an EVO nothing can beat that. Soo again good luck man on your search and welcome to EVO NATION!
Old Jan 28, 2012, 02:57 PM

Ok, today's market appears to be way pricer than mentioned here....

I'm in the market & live in PA... Just missed out on a great '06 MR w/59k miles for $23k for sale less than a week... & another MR with 20k miles went for $26,500 in less than 3 days!

Is this just me?
Old Jan 28, 2012, 03:00 PM

Also, I totally agree on the NY/NJ cars..... Chances are they've led a rough life! The big city driving is hard on any car, especially an Evo.... Interestingly enough they aren't selling as fast as others in the tri-state area....
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Evo prices have gone up in the PNW lately.