Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

From BMW --> Evo 8/9?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2011, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
From BMW --> Evo 8/9?

Hey all,

Just joined the forums today, been creepin' for the past week or so.
Come to find a lot about Evos, you guys have definitely helped, thank god for the stickies up top.
I'm not a forum nooby either, did the searching I felt necessary before this topic. Been over at bimmerforums for the past 2 years and various other forums beyond that.

Alright, onto the reasoning behind my thread.
Since I was 16 (about 2 and a half years ago..lol) I've been driving a 5-speed manual 323i BMW. It's a fun little car around the turns and has enough ***** to even kick the end out on dry roads.
However, I'm tired of the naturally aspirated power. The 170hp doesn't do me well at all, it's become boring to drive. I want something I can work on, tune, have fun with, and not get stuck in the snow with.
I've always loved Japanese imports, and there's nothing like the sound a turbo spool. The Evo's always caught my eye too, gorgeous car. Especially the 8/9's.

Here's the BMW before I put it in the garage (getting ready to be sold come Spring/after the rainy season):

And although nothing is set and ready just yet, I'll be doing as much reading up on Evos as I can.
The problem I'm having though, is pricing. I live in Vermont, there aren't many Evos (quite a few STi's though..) so I'm not sure what to expect for pricing. Looks like I may end up driving out of state to get to mine anyway, and I've come to find this as an example...would you say it's cheap for what he's offering it for? It looks clean and well maintained (I'm looking for one with the least amount of major mods possible...exhaust, tune, boost gauge I understand..almost every Evo out there has these I feel). I'd prefer something 2005+, but right now, there aren't many options. Hopefully that changes within a few months.

http://boston.craigslist.org/nos/ctd/2773304273.html

And as another example:
http://burlington.craigslist.org/ctd/2743334864.html

Thanks all, hope this community is one worth being a part of. Not sure if any of you have been over at e46fanatics, but they'll eat you up alive if you make a rookie mistake.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a buddy who's in a similar boat. He hit me up yesterday. He's got an M3 though and wants an Evo.

The price on the black 8 is decent. The silver one is def overpriced.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 03:08 PM
Evolving Member

yeah man the best deals are always outta state lol i found all of my cars out of state its worth it brotha !

i would say the both are overpriced. check in the for sale forums here, there are always good deals.

oh and clean bimmer btw !

Last edited by GdotRegEvo9; Dec 31, 2011 at 03:09 PM. Reason: add
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:06 PM

Keep looking on craigslist or ebay, check jersey or ny, stuff within driving distance. I have found a lot of evos in NY, both of my buddies drove from ohio to NYC for theirs. Good Luck with search.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 04:36 PM

I have both and love the IX MR more. It's a better all-around car especially in New England cold seasons.

Keep looking, you'll find a better deal.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Welcome aboard man.
I just had my Evo up for sale for 14k not too long ago.
What part of the state are you from?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
black ones not tooo bad, pretty clean for 03
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:18 PM
Evolving Member

I'm guessing the black one was previously modded but he threw it back to stock, considering he has a stock intercooler yet says its fast. lol.

Silver one is about what the dealership wants for it for full price, you shouldn't settle for their price.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would ask both for under the hood pictures. It seems like they're hiding something.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 05:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 242 Likes on 218 Posts
yeah i think you could be able to knock off 2k for the silver at least, almost 100k miles
Old Dec 31, 2011, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The black 8 looks like a good deal. Looks clean too. I'd suggest a 9 tho, if you can swing the extra $. Well worth it IMO.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 09:11 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 441 Likes on 376 Posts
I bought my 49kmi WW IX for $18k thru cars.com/autotrader. Its CA car. Had to hire inspectmyride.com for 2 cars. Uship.com to get it here
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:17 PM

Thanks for all your insight so far! Glad to know you're all here to help.

As it sits, I won't buy either one of those Evo's, considering I want to sell my BMW first. But the Evo9 is definitely something I would prefer over the 8, I'm willing to pay a bit more as well.
I settled with a lesser model BMW 3 series and I'm not satisfied. I don't want that to happen again, so I figure I may as well spend the extra money to get something I'll end up enjoying more.

@AWDPowah
I'm in Colchester, about 5 minutes away from Burlington. What about you?
There's a couple Evo's I've seen driving around, supposedly there's a silver MR as well that comes and goes from Colchester. I've seen it once, but couldn't confirm on whether or not it was an MR.

And I've seen 1 blue Evo without a wing, a modded red Evo and a black Evo...that's it.
They seem to be unique, and definitely turn heads. Which is what I want in my car.

Also, what's the difference between the Evo8 and Evo9 interiors?

One last thing; happy new years to you all!

Last edited by Hero313; Dec 31, 2011 at 11:39 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 08:04 AM
Evolved Member

Both cars have almost 100k miles. For 15k? Yes the car is clean but that price is high. Beat him up and get the car for 12-13k and I'd say it's a fair deal. Your taking a risk with such high mileage so I'd make sure you have some money in the bank if it needs any repairs in the next couple months.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah for those miles I would be looking at 14k-15k for those. My IX MR had 63k miles and I got it for $19,000. And it's super clean inside and out. Oh and mine only had 1 owner =]

Last edited by 5speedwtneed; Jan 1, 2012 at 08:57 AM.

Quick Reply: From BMW --> Evo 8/9?