Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dynapak vs Dynojet dynos...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dynapak vs Dynojet dynos...

I have been dynoed on Pruvens AWD Dyno at 265whp. If I were yo go on an AWD Dynapak dyno (Agile Performance) should the results be the same, higer or lower?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Almost exactly the same, all else being equal.
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
depends on what settings they load into the dyno pak - a lot of variables can be adjusted
Old Jan 14, 2004, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Alfriedesq
depends on what settings they load into the dyno pak - a lot of variables can be adjusted
I will prolly be going down there soon to see my dyno results after having the MBC installed. Are there certain settings they need to load?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

Dynapak should almost certainly spit out figures lower than a dynojet...but if you want to get on a real dyno......Dyno Dynamics is the way to go..IMO
Old Jan 14, 2004, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Well there is an AWD dyno 5 hours from me or an AWD Dynapak 1 hour from me. I made the 5 hour trip once to get the Dynoflash, I just don't see any reason to go there for some dyno time...and there are no Duno dynamics dynos around here.

If someone knows of an AWD Dynojet around the southern PA/Central-Northern MD region...feel free to let me know
Old Jan 14, 2004, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by GottaGoFaster
Well there is an AWD dyno 5 hours from me or an AWD Dynapak 1 hour from me. I made the 5 hour trip once to get the Dynoflash, I just don't see any reason to go there for some dyno time...and there are no Duno dynamics dynos around here.

If someone knows of an AWD Dynojet around the southern PA/Central-Northern MD region...feel free to let me know
Where are you?...ooops sorry I missed that bit southern PA right?
Old Jan 14, 2004, 09:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by limey
Where are you?...ooops sorry I missed that bit southern PA right?

Yea, nothing of interest around here
Old Jan 15, 2004, 12:52 AM

Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't a dynapack dyno require you to take the wheels off so the machines can connect directly to the hubs? How would that produce lower numbers when you're taking out all that rotational mass from the wheel/tire combo?
Old Jan 15, 2004, 04:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by StinkyTofu
Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't a dynapack dyno require you to take the wheels off so the machines can connect directly to the hubs? How would that produce lower numbers when you're taking out all that rotational mass from the wheel/tire combo?
Because the dynojet reads so much higher than any other dyno on the face of the planet. If you take into account the loss of the rotational mass from the wheels and tires from the dynapak it will still read lower....It is ONLY in america that chassis/whp #'s are considerably higher than the rest of the world because of dynojet setting the president way back when and then continuing to be established here...

Last edited by limey; Jan 15, 2004 at 04:24 AM.
Old Jan 15, 2004, 07:37 AM
Account Disabled

dynoes are relative only to themselves quite frankly.......not even aross brands, but literally to how a given car puts down power on that given dyno.

Comapring it to anotehr dyno in another state (even by the same manufacturer) is nearly impossible to do.

A dyno can be manipulated in any number of ways....regardless of the brand
Old Jan 15, 2004, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
The Dynapak read the exact numbers on Dan at Machv's bone stock EVO as our 2wd Dynojet did on our bone stock EVO.

Dynojet's rock. How much horsepower does it take to propel a 3300 pound car to 11.65 at 117.88 mph? According to a quick slide rule thing I have here it takes 425 hp. That is flywheel. If you calculate a 15% loss through the front wheels that makes 362 hp. We made 380 whp and ran the 11.65. How far off is the Dynojet?

The MPH on our Conquest is low from an inefficient torque converter that we use. Let's consider though that to run 8.71 with it that this same chart says it would need 750 flywheel hp. Take the same 15% and that leaves 638 wheel hp.

No matter how you look at it all the dyno's measure different and are good for only one thing, that is tuning.

David Buschur
www.buschurracing.com
Old Jul 10, 2004, 09:29 PM

Talking

Originally Posted by limey
....It is ONLY in america that chassis/whp #'s are considerably higher than the rest of the world because of dynojet setting the president way back when and then continuing to be established here...
...and here I thought it was the stained blue dress Monica Lewinsky produced during the Grand Jury hearings that set the President way back...

:-)
Old Jul 11, 2004, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's an excellent article in the Aug '04 issue of SCC about this exact thing. They used a Ford ranger to test and 6 different dynos, here's the results:

Dynapack @ A'PEXi - 157hp/179lb-ft
Dynamic Test Sytems @ XS Engineering - 155hp/181lb-ft
Maha @ AMS - 105hp/120lb-ft
Dyno Dynamics @ Vishnu - 102hp/142lb-ft
Dynojet @ HKS - 152hp/193lb-ft
Dynojet @ K&N - 156hp/196lb-ft

Take from that what you will, I copied that right off the graph. I was a Ranger with a 4.0L, and they used 2wd and 4wd dynos.
Old Jul 12, 2004, 02:39 AM

personally tuning on a dynojet is not the greatest.. loading the car up with a eddy current retarder is the way to go. (or a water brake on a engine dyno) Dynojets read high because once the car has the rollers at speed theres not as much resistence holding them back. As if to say your dynoing your car going "downhill"
I perfer a Superflow/Mustang/dyno dynamics/dynapack for tuning and dynojet #'s for show

good luck!

Quick Reply: Dynapak vs Dynojet dynos...