Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

36 Knock Sum

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
36 Knock Sum

I am running EvoMods 1.0 (ceddymods for E5/E6). The knock multipliers changed to 22/22, because I was getting a lot of knock at the switch point, and followed Ceddy's instructions.

I did about 4 logs, but found that the knock was increasing every time I pulled ignition, which made no sense to me. I did smooth the adjacent tables, so it isn't a matter of timing being too sporadic.

1st log: 2 knock at 6000rpm
2nd log: 2 knock at 5500rpm
3rd log: 8 knock at 4600pm, 14 knock at 7000rpm
4th log: 36 counts of knock at 3000rpm, step laddered all the way down to 30 at
~6000rpm where I backed off

By the time I got home, the car was logging knock at free-rev. I cannot hear the knock, and it doesn't appear to be real. Could it be my lifters?

I've searched, but every single thread that I've found with a similar issue have come up with no conclusion.

thanks in advance

Edit: This was all on the stock E6 GSR map with 2byte enabled... I got off of the ceddymap because I thought that it was causing my knocking at first
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
Are you logging knock voltage at the same time? Was the car fine before this or has this just started? I have seen sporadic knock of that level for a few reasons-

Knock sensor is on the way out

Rod bearings

Broke valvesprings

Clutch is almost done

EGR line blew off

Balance shaft is out of phase

Log knock voltage vs the knock counts.

Aaron
Old Jan 6, 2012, 02:44 PM
Evolving Member

I will do this tonight.
What trend am I looking for in the knock voltage?

Also, max voltage is 5v, correct?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

max voltage is 5v, look for large spikes of voltage at the same time the knock starts to happen. Typically anything that is a spike of background noise or consistently above 2.3-2.5v. Post a log when you do and I can help sort some of it out for you.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 06:36 PM
Evolving Member

Okay, well I didn't get a chance to go out and warm the car up like I wanted to... but I did notice something while I was logging knock voltage vs knock sum.

From my observation, I seemed to notice knock voltage spikes up to 2.5~3v at idle... but they coincided with the ticking of the lifters, which would come and go intermittently.

Here's a quick log of a cold-ish start, along with a log of a 3rd gear pull from two days ago when I started experiencing this problem

Thanks for your help so far
Attached Files
File Type: zip
Knock Voltage.zip (21.2 KB, 0 views)
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
the part where it begins to knock is most likely real, but the knock sensor gets very sensitive as soon as it first registers knock.. that is why you get the train of knock after the initial onset of real knock. try 5deg downlow where its knocking and see if it goes away.. based on the log it tells me the car doesn't want that much timing downlow.. if it continues to knock like hell then you need to provide more info..

what fuel are you using? and if its not real knock its something mechanical like Aaron said. what boost? what turbo?

it is also possible to run to little timing and raise EGT and cause real knock as well with to little timing.. but its gotta be really low.

it can also be the sensor itself going bad.

also stop logging a million things, it only slows the logging datarate down.

all in all honestly that looks like an easy fix.. however if its a stock engine the 36 counts should be very alarming, as that is not normal at all.

look for things in the engine that could be hitting and causing false noises and so forth.. just go over the car entirely.

usual suspects are usually clutch, valvetrain/cams, crappy exhaust fitments smacking oil pan, etc.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:28 PM. Reason: added usual suspects
Old Jan 6, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the suggestions
Any input/idea about the free-rev'd 17 counts of knock after the cold start?

Using 91, 19psi, Td05 10.5
The logging a million things was just because I finally got my onboard datalogging set up and didn't fix the logcfg yet lol

I haven't been able to take the car out, but I've been trying to find things in the engine bay that are loose/rattling... and so far I've come up with nothing

What's the likelihood of a lifter registering as knock? That's my only guess at the moment because they've gotten awfully noisy

Edit: I've logged the car a few times before and I've gotten 1-2 knock here and there... The only thing changed on the car since I got it was that I fixed a few boost leaks. OEM plastic BOV was leaking (using IX now), wastegate actuator was leaking, and the IACV o-ring was gone. I've been through 2 tanks of gas since I've experienced this problem, at different stations.

Last edited by MyronGainz; Jan 6, 2012 at 07:45 PM. Reason: More info
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:06 PM
Former Sponsor

So you've replaced a leaking BOV, replaced a bad WGA, and replaced other boost leaks and now its knocking..

i think its just pushing more airflow now so in return you need to tweak your tune accordingly to accommodate the new found airflow/power that the car is trying to make..

The likelihood of the lifters causing 36 counts is unheard of, ive never seen that happen before unless one physically got stuck open.

91 oct, 19psi and 7deg downlow on a older evo sounds pretty safe to me.. wont hurt to knock it down to 5deg and retest tho..

on another note... if you go out to the car, start it up.. drive it around the block for 10min to get the oil to operating temp and then park it somewhere and rev it up to say 5-6k 3-4 times what knocksum does it produce?

and you're saying its never done this before? and you havent touched anything in the head? cams, valvetrain etc?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

The head is 100% stock
I logged the car after fixing all of the leaks and it registered 0 knock, but did pull noticeably harder (butt dyno)

I'll try revving it up tomorrow and logging it. I'll update tomorrow afternoon
Old Jan 6, 2012, 09:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'd be pissed if I saw knock sum of 36 at a certain rpm.. Gotta be false.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 03:51 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
on another note... if you go out to the car, start it up.. drive it around the block for 10min to get the oil to operating temp and then park it somewhere and rev it up to say 5-6k 3-4 times what knocksum does it produce?
About 7-8 by 4500rpm, and another 11 or so @ 7500
I went over most things on the car tonight. Plugs, plug wires, all connections in the piping on the intake side... bolts/shields on the exhaust side. Didn't get a chance to get underneath the car, but I'm pretty sure everything under there is alright
Old Jan 7, 2012, 04:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by MyronGainz
About 7-8 by 4500rpm, and another 11 or so @ 7500
I went over most things on the car tonight. Plugs, plug wires, all connections in the piping on the intake side... bolts/shields on the exhaust side. Didn't get a chance to get underneath the car, but I'm pretty sure everything under there is alright
seems a bit noisey for a stock long block. can you do a leakdown test just to confirm the engine is healthy and so on? after everything checks out i would just tune the knock sensor to accommodate the additional noises.. if you need help with it just pm me ill clean it up for a small fee.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 09:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by tscompusa
The likelihood of the lifters causing 36 counts is unheard of, ive never seen that happen before unless one physically got stuck open.
Collapsed lifter, 1G lifter tick, etc.

3v at idle is insane. I have seen knock sensors that were half screwed into the block do that as well.
Old Jun 5, 2013, 05:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ever find out the issue? My ix mr is getting high knock sum in 5th and 6th gear only.