Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

AEM gauge troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM gauge troubleshooting

I started talking about this in my boost leaks thread, but at this point it warrants a new thread. I'm having issues with my AEM analog electric boost gauge. This is the gauge: http://www.aemelectronics.com/boost-...nalog-face-774. There is a link to the installation guide.

Originally I wired it exactly as the guide dictated. Black to known good ground. Red to constant 12v (radio wiring). Pink to switched 12v (radio wiring). And grey to dimmer switch.
The gauge worked fine with the lights off. Once the lights went on, the gauge turned off. Also, the gauge was illuminated very brightly. According to AEM, the grey wire dictates brightness based on voltage. Closer to 12v is bright, closer to 0v is dim.

So today, first I disconnected the grey wire (0 volts). Gauge did not turn on. Then I connected it to the switched 12v (pink wire). Gauge did not turn on.

I didn't have much time to work on it, so I put it back together. However, I did verify (with a multimeter) that the wire from the dimmer switch was getting the correct voltage. With lights off, voltage was essentially 0v. Lights on it would get 12v with it fully up.

I called an AEM tech and he said to try and disconnect the grey wire. And if that didn't work " had bigger problems." I will try to give them a call tomorrow, but I have no idea whats going on here. I was hoping someone here might have some insight.