Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I could never drive one stock! Kudos to you for being able to stand it lol. My fisrt drive in a stock evo, I felt like there was something wrong. haha It was terribly slow feeling
Old Jan 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My IX MR is still stock from day one since July 1, 2006. I intend it to be that way for a long time.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by mbamrah
Bought my Evo IX brand new in Jan 2006, had my Evo for 6 years now, around 65,000 miles, stock clutch.

Only mods on the car are after market pioneer system, vortex generator, stubby antenna, UK spec badge, Blox gear knob, Rally armour mud flaps, 17X9 Rota grid wheels and Hawk HPS brake pads.

Still have the original decals the car came with on the driver door ...

Used to change cars every year, had the Evo 6 years and still lovin every minute of it...
Same here, used to change cars quite often until Evo came with big Irish influence from my Irish friend, who says this thing smokes streets of Ireland witht their narrow roads and mud on the farms
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

there's another staying stock thread around here...or maybe it was the other evo forum. anyway, mine's still stock and will be for a while.

only got rally armor flaps and rexspeed duckbill spoiler. still loving it bone stock....then again i've only had it for 7 months.
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone who has posted whos cars are stock. Let me know when you are ready to sell.....
Old Jan 17, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Only mods an Evo needs are sways and pads.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Mine is still bone stock from they day got out of the dealership.
34k miles on it and still running strong, the only thing i add is window
deflectors a new head unit and a strut bar.

Old Jan 18, 2012, 01:37 AM
Evolving Member

Location: Detroit metro area Michigan/Washington DC metro area
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i am only lightly modding my Evo, IC pipes and TBE and Tune. i went the the full 9 on my EK civic and it was nothing but a head ache. to those that say stock isn't fun, i say this: these STOCK Evos are driving around while your 600+hp monster is down with drive train or engine problems. FUN is being behind the wheel. my EK had a Built B18C5 turbo and made well over 450 to the wheels and it was breaking something every time i raced it. axels or trans .... always something. more power to you for keeping the car completely stock. i couldn't do it, i am hoping to have around 300+ then i'll be happy to leave it alone and maybe do some light cosmetic stuff CF lip and Rexspeed wing.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
i am only lightly modding my Evo, IC pipes and TBE and Tune. i went the the full 9 on my EK civic and it was nothing but a head ache. to those that say stock isn't fun, i say this: these STOCK Evos are driving around while your 600+hp monster is down with drive train or engine problems. FUN is being behind the wheel. my EK had a Built B18C5 turbo and made well over 450 to the wheels and it was breaking something every time i raced it. axels or trans .... always something. more power to you for keeping the car completely stock. i couldn't do it, i am hoping to have around 300+ then i'll be happy to leave it alone and maybe do some light cosmetic stuff CF lip and Rexspeed wing.
This is exactly the way I felt about doing mods, after reading all the forums on here I realzied I am going to need a lot of cash to do whole 9 yards quality tune on my Evo 9 to make sure that things dont start falling apart. For example numerous posts talk about after market clutches messing up rear differential etc. I mean if you gotta mod, you gotta do it from the ground up and not just one or two things because you through it out of balance and then the whole driving experience stays in the garage. while stock guys are having fun driving.

Last edited by futureal; Jan 19, 2012 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
to those that say stock isn't fun, i say this: these STOCK Evos are driving around while your 600+hp monster is down with drive train or engine problems. FUN is being behind the wheel.
I definitely agree with this. My car is bone-stock, motor/power-wise, except for a K&N panel filter, which was put on by the previous owner. My only mods are a clutch, brake pads, rear swaybar, GTWorx springs, and revalved Bilsteins (to the springs' specs) and the car is a blast to drive everyday and autocross, not to mention extremely reliable. The car's never been down since I've owned it and starts up no matter what. Can't ask for more really
Old Jan 18, 2012, 08:40 PM
Evolving Member

I kept my evo stock for about 5yrs. Right now i just have basic bolt ons and a tune. Im happy with my power. Its not big hp like other evos out there. Keeping it stock is hard. U will get that urge to build ur car.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by USCGSAM
Agreed. There were a bunch of 600hp and 700hp Evos when I first bought mine in 2004 but I don't see those guys any more. I only had a "meager" 350whp. But 131,000 miles later my Evo is still running with no problems (origional trans, origional diff, transfer case, etc.) As time goes by I respect the Evos that are still alive and well. Especially when the Evos maybe gone forever.

Nothing wrong with big power. But the stock ones are just as special.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How about this, mod the car to what's your supposed to have in factory. Like, tune the car to the HP that came from factory in japan and europe. Evos in united states are detuned and makes less horsepower than what it came out of the factory in japan and europe that was tuned a little more aggressive. japanese bumper is also came from factory, you can change that. Also, the rear differential from USDM Evos are configured wrong. If you look at the service manual and compare it to the actual clutch and discs configuration of differential, it is wrong. So you can also have that configure it the correct way. That's all I can think of for now.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Get somebody to revalve those Blistens, and put on a proper spring for rate and ride height.
Its super easy, fairly inexpensive, and without a lick more power really makes the car sing.
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by J!n K@z@mA
How about this, mod the car to what's your supposed to have in factory. Like, tune the car to the HP that came from factory in japan and europe. Evos in united states are detuned and makes less horsepower than what it came out of the factory in japan and europe that was tuned a little more aggressive. japanese bumper is also came from factory, you can change that. Also, the rear differential from USDM Evos are configured wrong. If you look at the service manual and compare it to the actual clutch and discs configuration of differential, it is wrong. So you can also have that configure it the correct way. That's all I can think of for now.
The Evos overseas are tuned slightly more aggressively because they have higher octanes readily available. Our premium unleaded is slightly lower, plus our Evos are also tuned to accept 91 octane fuel because that is typically the best we can get on much of the West Coast, which certainly accounts for a large portion of the Evo population.

You can change out the bumpers if you want, but if you end up yanking the crash beams as well, then you're putting yourself in more danger, and in the event of a car accident, your insurance company might notice that your crash beam is gone, if you go that route.

The Evo handles plenty sharp as it is, but Mitsubishi set up our rear LSDs like that because the "proper" setup is a bit noisier, supposedly to the point where it chatters even when sharply pulling into a parking spot. They didn't want a bunch of US Evo owners who were new to the car (as we had never had it before) bringing their cars in because they thought that their cars were broken, especially since no other car sold (or at least none that I'm aware of) chatters like that.

Quick Reply: I am Keeping My Evo Stock ! Despite all the temptations! :)