Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No two step???

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have access to ecuflash and a tactrix cable?
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ApexEVoIX03
still not working and had the wires and everything looked at.. it's all hooked up. And I only see one clutch switch
here's a 9 pedal assembly diagram. just gotta keep following the pedal all the way up. if you remove the panel below the dash and you get a good flash light. you will have a slightly better view.

Old May 4, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SunnyC
here's a 9 pedal assembly diagram. just gotta keep following the pedal all the way up. if you remove the panel below the dash and you get a good flash light. you will have a slightly better view.
Alright found both switches I believe. I found the clutch switch that starts that car and that one works. I also went up higher and found the other switch and I think its the one your talking about. It's wired into the harness right? or you can see it go into a big thing of wires that go toward the passenger side of the car?

I do not have a tactrix cable or evoscan
Old May 4, 2012, 05:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
find someone with one

the first thing you should have checked is that it's actually enabled in the ecu. you're in florida, i'd imagine there are a lot of shops / people down there with a tactrix cable / evoscan
Old May 4, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by llDemonll
find someone with one

the first thing you should have checked is that it's actually enabled in the ecu. you're in florida, i'd imagine there are a lot of shops / people down there with a tactrix cable / evoscan
Its been to awd and checked. it is enabled and at stock limit for 2 step.
Old May 4, 2012, 06:23 PM

Alright found both switches I believe. I found the clutch switch that starts that car and that one works. I also went up higher and found the other switch and I think its the one your talking about. It's wired into the harness right? or you can see it go into a big thing of wires that go toward the passenger side of the car?

I do not have a tactrix cable or evoscan
correct.. it's a small connector with 2 wires. here's a better image for you.

see if you have a good connection to it and that the sensor is working. this is what enables 2 step when you depress the clutch.

Old May 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

correct.. it's a small connector with 2 wires. here's a better image for you.

see if you have a good connection to it and that the sensor is working. this is what enables 2 step when you depress the clutch.

Damn thank you for all the pictures and diagrams. Now thats what I call help . I'll check it out and see if it's getting power if not idk what im going to do.
Old May 5, 2012, 09:48 PM

Damn thank you for all the pictures and diagrams. Now thats what I call help . I'll check it out and see if it's getting power if not idk what im going to do.
np i know how you feel when my 2step wasnt working as well. but i had to find out the hardway "myself". hope its just the switch thats gone bad or not connected. gl
Old May 5, 2012, 10:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AndyCT9W
My 2 step engages no matter what gear I'm in, clutch in or out. It also engages if I floor it straight away, no gradual rise. All it needs is that the car is absolutely stationery.

Have you tried putting the handbrake on to make sure the car is completely stopped?
I think that all EVO ecus have the 2 step function written in, however some of them are tuned out. Ie the stationery rev limit is set above the regular rev limit.

This was the case with my car. I guess Mitsi did not envision the typical wagon driver wanting a 2 step.

I just changed the stationery rev limit value with ecuflash and it was all good. Given that a tuner has looked at it (however briefly), I don't think this is the issue.
Just a response to this.

It turns out JDM evos only have the lower clutch switch - the one used to start the engine. No upper one, the one that's used to engage the two step. I've activated the stationery rev limit, which is apparently different to the two step. It is only active below a certain speed. So my setup is different to the USDM two step.

The clutch switch you need to find is quite easy to inspect (I just removed an aftermarket one from my car), lay your back on the kick panel with your feet on the ground. Then just slide your head towards the pedal assembly, it sounds awkward but it's not too bad (I've spent a lot of time in my one recently removing a bunch of half assed installs). Follow the clutch up to where the switch should be and then push the pedal with your hand (this is rather difficult) and you'll see the switch that is activated when you first push the pedal. Then check what you need to check. The switch used to start the engine is activated when you put the clutch to the floor.
Old May 6, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolving Member

np i know how you feel when my 2step wasnt working as well. but i had to find out the hardway "myself". hope its just the switch thats gone bad or not connected. gl
OK im an idiot haha.. I followed the brake pedal and saw another two wire switch. I checked again for the upper switch for the clutch and cant seem to feel or find it. I've looked at your picture and it doesn't seem like I have that second one.

Just a response to this.

It turns out JDM evos only have the lower clutch switch - the one used to start the engine. No upper one, the one that's used to engage the two step. I've activated the stationery rev limit, which is apparently different to the two step. It is only active below a certain speed. So my setup is different to the USDM two step.

The clutch switch you need to find is quite easy to inspect (I just removed an aftermarket one from my car), lay your back on the kick panel with your feet on the ground. Then just slide your head towards the pedal assembly, it sounds awkward but it's not too bad (I've spent a lot of time in my one recently removing a bunch of half assed installs). Follow the clutch up to where the switch should be and then push the pedal with your hand (this is rather difficult) and you'll see the switch that is activated when you first push the pedal. Then check what you need to check. The switch used to start the engine is activated when you put the clutch to the floor.
Yea that position sucks I've been down there the past few days checking it and trying to find it haha. Thanks for the input
Old May 6, 2012, 08:14 PM

OK im an idiot haha.. I followed the brake pedal and saw another two wire switch. I checked again for the upper switch for the clutch and cant seem to feel or find it. I've looked at your picture and it doesn't seem like I have that second one.

Yea that position sucks I've been down there the past few days checking it and trying to find it haha. Thanks for the input
do what he said.. i'm pretty sure the 9 has the switch above the clutch as well. you should get a good flashlight in there and check.. might help if you take off the lower panel as well.
Old May 6, 2012, 08:31 PM
Evolved Member

Lol, you found the brake switch for your brake lights. Good to know that it is still there. I confused the pedal setup quite often when I was in there. You lose your lefts and rights and you can't see all the pedals, it gets pretty frustrating.

The brake switch is a similar setup to the clutch switch you are after. It is possible that it is not there (uninstalled, missing from factory etc). Find yourself one, there like $20 new round here. I've got one that I'm not using but shipping will cost you lol. Install it and wire it to the ECU and you should be set.
Old May 7, 2012, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

OP have you tried reving it to about 3500 letting off for like half a second so the rpms drop a bit then reving it to up to 2 step (5500)? Thats how mine is, idk if thats just how it came or if one of the previous owners had it tuned and set up that way (I'm the 3rd owner)
Old May 8, 2012, 01:25 AM

yea id say somewhere in the tuning it got cut out
Old May 8, 2012, 05:18 AM
Evolved Member

I launch without two step on all the time, put your foot down until your at 5k and when you slip the clutch, put the gas down. Pretty simple.

Quick Reply: No two step???