Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

No two step???

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No two step???

Recently bought an evo 9 gsr model and had it brought back to life with new tranny and t case. Tuned and worked on by AWD motorsports putting out 340 to the wheels. Only problem is 2 step does not work period. My clutch sensor and speed sensor both work and its activated in the stock ECU. I have no idea what could be keeping it from working.

I know how to engage two step... car completely stopped, in first gear, clutch in and rev to 5500 and nothing...

Anybody have any ideas? Previous owner said scott at TTP couldn't figure it out and AWD tried looking at it briefly while getting some work done and couldn't figure it out either

Last edited by ApexEVoIX03; Jan 14, 2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:53 PM

Try putting the car in first gear with the car fully stopped and ur foot fully pressing down on the clutch now fully push the accelerator and see if that works
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
don't floor the accelerator, but you dont have to go super slow to 5.5k either
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:21 PM
Evolving Member

Yea i don't floor it to two step but i dont take all day either lol. Clutch to the floor still nothing
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

You must be in 1st gear. Neutral won't engage 2 step.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

^yea in first gear my bad didnt say that... edited first post
Old Jan 14, 2012, 01:52 PM
Evolved Member

My 2 step engages no matter what gear I'm in, clutch in or out. It also engages if I floor it straight away, no gradual rise. All it needs is that the car is absolutely stationery.

Have you tried putting the handbrake on to make sure the car is completely stopped?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:20 PM
Evolving Member

yea ive tried that too.. trust me im not moving trying this. Previous owner couldn't get it to work either so I don't understand what it could be
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by ApexEVoIX03
yea ive tried that too.. trust me im not moving trying this. Previous owner couldn't get it to work either so I don't understand what it could be
So was this occurring before the transmission and t-case were done or only after?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 02:29 PM

i fixed my 2 step a while back as well, and 2 step works in neutral without being on clutch as well.

i think i know your problem. if your car previously had an EMS in it, they might have swapped your clutch wire pin that goes in to the ecu plug. look for your ecu plug diagram and find the clutch input wire. and check if it's in the correct place.

if its in correct place then you should put a meter and check to see if it's getting ground or power when you press/depress the clutch pedal.

hope it works for you, i had a tough time figuring it out myself.. what you're getting above is what i got until i finally decided to check for power/ground on the wire.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DeFog
So was this occurring before the transmission and t-case were done or only after?
It was happening to the previous owner.. i bought car with blown diff and replaced both tranny and t case.

Originally Posted by SunnyC
i fixed my 2 step a while back as well, and 2 step works in neutral without being on clutch as well.

i think i know your problem. if your car previously had an EMS in it, they might have swapped your clutch wire pin that goes in to the ecu plug. look for your ecu plug diagram and find the clutch input wire. and check if it's in the correct place.

if its in correct place then you should put a meter and check to see if it's getting ground or power when you press/depress the clutch pedal.

hope it works for you, i had a tough time figuring it out myself.. what you're getting above is what i got until i finally decided to check for power/ground on the wire.
Im not sure if it had an EMS in it, but it had a poorly wired viper alarm in it which recently got removed.. Do you have any pictures or another thread that could help me?
Old Jan 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Im not sure but i dont think All evos come with 2 step..atleast mine didnt..but i tuned it and got one anyways lol
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Revo15
Im not sure but i dont think All evos come with 2 step..atleast mine didnt..but i tuned it and got one anyways lol
I think that all EVO ecus have the 2 step function written in, however some of them are tuned out. Ie the stationery rev limit is set above the regular rev limit.

This was the case with my car. I guess Mitsi did not envision the typical wagon driver wanting a 2 step.

I just changed the stationery rev limit value with ecuflash and it was all good. Given that a tuner has looked at it (however briefly), I don't think this is the issue.
Old Jan 14, 2012, 04:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Revo15
the 06 model definitely comes with it

And its activated in the ecu so its something else
Old Jan 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

clutch does not be in since i can activate mine when i have the clutch wires unplugged.

Quick Reply: No two step???