Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

twin disk help..

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
twin disk help..

whats up guys so im in need of a new clutch pretty bad... i was going to go with the ACT HDSS or the Competition clutch street disk. and i would have been using a fidanza flywheel with whichever i chose but everyone keeps telling me to save up and just go twin disk? currently i have kelford 272 with springs n retainers and am looking to get an fp black or the new maperformance turbo. the ef4 i believe? but anyway my question is. i was searching around and the exedy is very expensive i saw competition clutch has a twin disk for a pretty reasonable price. does anyone have experience with the competition clutch twin disk? is it a good reliable clutch? all info is greatly appreciated! thanks
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can buy a used twin disk for about $400 and just rebuild it. I have a brand new rebuild kit I'm selling for $450 so that would mean you'd be getting a twin disk for only about $850
Old Jan 22, 2012, 10:51 PM

Just pm me if you're interested
Old Jan 22, 2012, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd buy the Comp HD Street disc. It'll last 3x as long as most Twins, hold the same power, and be just as easy to drive, not to mention that when it dies you can buy a whole new clutch setup for half the price of a twin disc rebuild.

My .02.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 05:51 AM
Account Disabled

Yah but how good is the comp Hd on lunching
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

...Just as good. On launching, not lunching.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sovietEVO
You can buy a used twin disk for about $400 and just rebuild it. I have a brand new rebuild kit I'm selling for $450 so that would mean you'd be getting a twin disk for only about $850
rebuild kit for what twin disk?

Originally Posted by Blue91lx
...Just as good. On launching, not lunching.
the hd street disk from competition clutch your saying is just as good if not better than any twin disk?
Old Jan 23, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolving Member

Polish Pounder,

This is just my opinion and experience but I currently run an Exedy twin disc as it came in the car when I bought it and I'll be swapping it out for a single disc in the near future. I'm doing this because I daily drive my car and I'm not making the power/torque necessary for such a clutch and I prefer something a little more quiet and with smoother engagement. Let me tell you, daily driving the twin disc with the chatter, FOR ME is not fun. I would personally contact a reputable shop (AMS, Buschur, STM, etc.) and discuss your current and future goals with regards to the car and determine what kind of clutch you'll need. That's just my opinion though. Good luck and happy boosting!
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by polish_pounder
rebuild kit for what twin disk?

the hd street disk from competition clutch your saying is just as good if not better than any twin disk?
It's give and take, although, I'm really not sure what you gain by going Twin Disc except for expensive and frequent rebuilds. Most like the Exedy Twin really don't hold any more power than a good street disc.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RelentlessEVO
Polish Pounder,

This is just my opinion and experience but I currently run an Exedy twin disc as it came in the car when I bought it and I'll be swapping it out for a single disc in the near future. I'm doing this because I daily drive my car and I'm not making the power/torque necessary for such a clutch and I prefer something a little more quiet and with smoother engagement. Let me tell you, daily driving the twin disc with the chatter, FOR ME is not fun. I would personally contact a reputable shop (AMS, Buschur, STM, etc.) and discuss your current and future goals with regards to the car and determine what kind of clutch you'll need. That's just my opinion though. Good luck and happy boosting!
Just did the same.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

I have talked to stm. My goals are no more than 500 i want right now around 450-475 so im not trying go get outta hand from reading n discussing with u guys i thinking im going to go with the competition clutch hd street disk. I also am getting a used fidanza flywheel r thesr still yoo if i.get a new insert even if they are used
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:43 AM
Evolving Member

If you only want 450-475, you dont need a black. Get a red, you will get that power and better spool. Second, I have a twin and it lasted me about 35k miles which is a lot. Im slipping at the track with 475 hp, but thats cuz it was getting old. Its better then some of the other twin discs for daily. Im rebuilding to a triple which is also cool. If you do decide to go for extra power, you can convert to a triple and reuse the twin and just replace the discs.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 12:33 PM
Evolved Member

I figured an fp black was good incase i wanted to go higher
Old Jan 23, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in that boat so I'm trying to trade for a black. Same price and lots of people want the spool so they go back and get a red.
Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
Evolving Member

the comp will do just fine and there's no need to call other shops i personally bought the comp twin disk because a few shops told me to go twin. if you are going to launch alot go twin plate and just live with the drivabitly . also dont worry about the spool and get the black to many babies on here talk about turbo lag deal with it top end kills spool just gets you the jump

Quick Reply: twin disk help..