Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is the 6 speed better for road racing

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even the built 6 speeds are going to break at much more than what you are looking to run. If the speed bug bites you after you buy the built 6 speed you are back at square one. Trust me, build a 5-speed and call it a day.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:51 AM
Former Sponsor

The 6 speed to me would be a better road race tranny due to the gearing. However, the 6speed tends to overheat and will shiz gears on you. You can do a built 6speed with an oil cooler. That will help out significantly and would be a fun car to whip around the corners sir.

Mikey
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Mikey@Spec-Ops
The 6 speed to me would be a better road race tranny due to the gearing. However, the 6speed tends to overheat and will shiz gears on you. You can do a built 6speed with an oil cooler. That will help out significantly and would be a fun car to whip around the corners sir.

Mikey

Like this? If only Shep still offered it...
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Jon @TRE can do it. If you call Shep and talk to Trevor he can prod build you one too

Mikey
Old Jan 24, 2012, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

The 6 speed is better on the video I watched comparing the 5 an 6, but shep has a new rebuild for the 6spd good to 600whp which I think is the most you'll really need for the track. Here's a thread that someone did for the 6 https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...rans-6spd.html
Old Jan 24, 2012, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

If you read the thread, you will see that he may not have another set of custom gears and final drive made.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mikey
This is not true. I used to run a 6-spd and now a built 5-spd. I have different problems at different areas of the same track with the transmissions. Between the two I FAR prefer the 5-spd with the hybrid gearing Shep offers. If you talk to John, he will recommend the 5-spd with the hybrid gearing for road racing every time.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
This is not true. I used to run a 6-spd and now a built 5-spd. I have different problems at different areas of the same track with the transmissions. Between the two I FAR prefer the 5-spd with the hybrid gearing Shep offers. If you talk to John, he will recommend the 5-spd with the hybrid gearing for road racing every time.
If that is true then I stand correct, as I myself don't personally road race. I have been told by other they prefer the 6 speed. That was the reasoning so many people a year or two back tried everything they could to make the 6speeds hold up to excessive heat/autox days.

Thank you for your input!

Mikey
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Care to explain a bit more? Actually kind of curious as I plan to get into the autocross and road race scene a bit more.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Wink

If that is true then I stand correct, as I myself don't personally road race. I have been told by other they prefer the 6 speed. That was the reasoning so many people a year or two back tried everything they could to make the 6speeds hold up to excessive heat/autox days.

Thank you for your input!

Mikey
You bring up a good point Mikey ... but now I'm really curious as to the amount of failures in 6spds that are due to actual heat?
My first question is if the 6spd actually sees more heat loading than the 5spd?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:59 AM
Evolved Member

I could see a 6 speed have better gearing for higher speeds. I am not sure why a 5 speed would be preferable except for the stoutness and less weight.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nollij
I could see a 6 speed have better gearing for higher speeds. I am not sure why a 5 speed would be preferable except for the stoutness and less weight.
Shorter gears are good on tracks that don't have much straights or have short straights.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Zerokei_XF
Care to explain a bit more? Actually kind of curious as I plan to get into the autocross and road race scene a bit more.
Well, my experience is largely at Summit Point, WV. It's my "home track" so I know it pretty well and have run it with both transmissions at similar power levels. (400+ awhp/370 awtq)

What I found is that the 6-spd gears 1st-3rd where uncomfortably close together. Shifting through them was more of a hassle than anything. The biggest area I had a problem with the 6-spd was turn 8 on Summit Main. Entering that turn I would be in 4th and just hitting peak torque which would badly unsettle the car. Up a gear and I had no steam, and down a gear I was losing lots of speed. When I swapped transmissions I can take turn 8 easing into throttle in 4th and carry vastly more speed through that turn.

The downside to it is on Turn 10 where I used to be able to enter in 5th gear on throttle I wasn't able to do so with the 5-spd last season. With street tires and factory aero I couldn't carry that turn in 5th above my spool-up rpms. I would either enter the turn with NO boost and slug down the front straight... or I would go in capping out 4th almost banging off the rev limiter. I upped the rev limit a few hundred rpms and it still was causing me to lose speed in turn 10.

My solution for this season is to go to better tires and full aero... I should be able to take turn 10 significantly faster in 5th with plenty of rpms to keep the turbo on boil. Of course I'll be running at a bunch of new tracks this year, so who knows what the gearing will be like there. The car makes plenty of power though, so I don't need the super close-ratios of the lower gears. The 5-spd is smoother engagement, far stronger, and because of the gearset size has more fluid and more room for the fluid to circulate.

Also, in my case, I'm running on the stock block for this season, but I'll be building the motor next season and shooting for ~500 whp on E85. I broke 4th gear in my 6-spd at my current power levels, no way it holds up to what I have planned.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Shorter gears are good on tracks that don't have much straights or have short straights.
Why not similar ratio 1st-4th and closer 4th-6th for the 120+?
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

Here's a funny question ... one thing that we all feel is the ratios in the end ... the end being rpm out of the motor.

The 4B11T in the Evo X has been a really nice upgrade in that since it 'safely' spins roughly 1000rpm higher. The 5sp in the X hasn't had quite the same heartache as the VIII and IX.

I would love some responses in that is it better overall to try and eek out higher rpm in a 4G63 and keep a 5sp. or go for the 6sp.?

~j.

Quick Reply: Is the 6 speed better for road racing