Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Blitz SBC-iD boost controller and Tial wastegates

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2012, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blitz SBC-iD boost controller and Tial wastegates

o I'm just about to finish my build which has included installing a Blitz SBC-iD boost controller and dual wastegates. I have been looking at the English manual and it says that the IN port on the solenoid goes to a pressure source before the throttle body, the OUT port going to the top part of the external wastegate, with the side port of the external wastegate going to the compressor port of the turbo. And then the SBC-iD should be set to Wastegate mode.

However, I have read of numerous people having problems with the Tial wastegate and this setup, specifically lack of boost control and/or overboosting. One user has said they contacted Blitz in the US who told them to connect the OUT port of the boost solenoid to the side port of the external wastegate, with the top port venting to atmosphere and the SBC-iD itself set to Actuator mode. They said Blitz in the US had told them the design of the Tial wastegate actuators differs from the Japanese ones, and because of this it needs to be set up this way.

Indeed, on the instructions for the SBC i-color, on page 16 it states that: "If you have a TIAL, Turbonetics or other domestic manufacturer external wastegate using the A/C setting may provide more accurate control.

So my question is: if I set the controller to A/C mode,should I be connecting the OUT port of the boost solenoid to the upper or lower/side port of my Tial wastegates?

Hopefully you can understand what the hell I'm talking about! I'm kind of thinking the 2nd way (how I've provisionally routed it) is the way it should be for the Tials, but would appreciate any other thoughts
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:18 AM

Originally Posted by soldave
o I'm just about to finish my build which has included installing a Blitz SBC-iD boost controller and dual wastegates. I have been looking at the English manual and it says that the IN port on the solenoid goes to a pressure source before the throttle body, the OUT port going to the top part of the external wastegate, with the side port of the external wastegate going to the compressor port of the turbo. And then the SBC-iD should be set to Wastegate mode.

However, I have read of numerous people having problems with the Tial wastegate and this setup, specifically lack of boost control and/or overboosting. One user has said they contacted Blitz in the US who told them to connect the OUT port of the boost solenoid to the side port of the external wastegate, with the top port venting to atmosphere and the SBC-iD itself set to Actuator mode. They said Blitz in the US had told them the design of the Tial wastegate actuators differs from the Japanese ones, and because of this it needs to be set up this way.

Indeed, on the instructions for the SBC i-color, on page 16 it states that: "If you have a TIAL, Turbonetics or other domestic manufacturer external wastegate using the A/C setting may provide more accurate control.

So my question is: if I set the controller to A/C mode,should I be connecting the OUT port of the boost solenoid to the upper or lower/side port of my Tial wastegates?

Hopefully you can understand what the hell I'm talking about! I'm kind of thinking the 2nd way (how I've provisionally routed it) is the way it should be for the Tials, but would appreciate any other thoughts
I am having the same issue ... did you find any good solution to this problem?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 03:26 AM

I contacted Blitz themselves and got this reply from them:

Hi Dave, the boost solenoid should be connected to the lower port of your Tial wastegate, leaving the top one open.