Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Double pumper options or something else?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a pump supports on pump is of no consequence if you are running an e85 tune. You need 30% more fuel to support the same #'s on e85, so the e85 number is what you are looking for.

You have three options really:

1. A double pumper - FB or Buschur - So FB in your case
2. A parallel set up (like AMS's -1 in tank, 1 external - NOT SERIES)
3. Surge tank set up - if you are road racing a lot (much more expensive)

***From what I've read the 400lph Walbro isn't really 157% of the flow of a 255, but if it actually is - That could be a possible option.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm seriously considering a surge tank setup myself. My car is set up for road racing, and like the OP I'm not interested in buying anything from Buschur at this point.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackenedwings
I'm seriously considering a surge tank setup myself. My car is set up for road racing, and like the OP I'm not interested in buying anything from Buschur at this point.

for a true road raced car, the double pumper isn't a very elegant solution. i had issues mid corner/part throttle where the second pump turns on/off/on/off and you can watch your AFRs jump all over the place while its doing this. the car will of course not be as smooth as it could be at this point. with a large enough FPR you can alleviate some of this though. the best bet is run one pump capable of supplying your engine with the fuel it has. i run the weldon DB2015A pump. good for ~600 on E85. its not for a street car though.... its VERY loud. makes a whining walbro sound like the trees rustling in the background.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 06:55 AM
Evolved Member

I though the weldon's weren't meant for continuous duty? My current set up is parallel 255s feeding a surge tank with two 044s feeding the fuel rail.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 09:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KevinD
its not for a street car though.... its VERY loud. makes a whining walbro sound like the trees rustling in the background.
Yeah, my tuner describes his as "a coffee grinder sound". Keep in mind, my car while it is technically street tagged isn't exactly your average street car. No interior, AC, stereo, or factory belts. A bit of extra noise won't make much difference to me at this point.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

That's not the issue. From what I have read those weldon pumps are designed for drag racing - i.e. short operating time with down time inbetween. They will self destruct under continuous use like street and/or road racing.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
That's not the issue. From what I have read those weldon pumps are designed for drag racing - i.e. short operating time with down time inbetween. They will self destruct under continuous use like street and/or road racing.
I don't know about the Weldon pumps... my tuner runs a big Aeromotive pump from a custom swirl pot. I'll probably do the same setup on my car.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 08:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
x3 im also considering the same setup..Buschur products are out of the question for me too, i rather spend elsewhere
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:45 PM
Evolving Member

With a surge tank, would this mean you don't keep your stock fuel tank? What about a fuel sump?

My plan is to keep my back seat+sun roof and have a roll cage made for my vehicle. I want to use the car for street and track use. I do have a Civic that I daily drive with since I live 5 min down the road from work.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

You keep your stock fuel tank, you have pump(s) that feed a surge tank (some can be mounted in the engine bay, some under the car near the fuel tank like AMS's old kit) and pump(s) that feed the fuel rail from the surge tank. Basically this ensures that you don't get fuel starvation in high g corners cause the surge tank has a small footprint so you can't starve the pumps.

Again, I'm running 2 255's (parallel) one in tank, one external, that feed a fuel surge tank which has two bosch 044's that feed the fuel rail. Should be good for 750+ whp on a mustang dyno on e98 on my current set up. I'll have dyno #s in a week or two ;-)
Old Jan 26, 2012, 12:32 AM
Evolving Member

How much did that run you all together?
Old Jan 26, 2012, 01:37 AM
Evolved Member

Had the 255's in this chassis when i swapped my motor over, so I don't have an exact number for you. You will have a hard time getting the same set up I have as I think I have the last one O.o.

However, in general I would expect to spend $1500 on pumps/FST/lines/fittings etc and allow 10 hours of labor on the high side if you aren't doing your own work.

Not what I'm using, but I would check out a company called "radium engineering". They make some really nice fuel surge tanks and catch cans. Can buy a set up premade w/ the dual 044's or bigger and then just supply your pump to feed the tank (may be able to get away with a 400lph single to feed the tank and do things a bit cheaper).
Old Jan 26, 2012, 06:55 AM
Former Sponsor

You can always do a quick/cheaper setup like an intake 255 and an inline 255 on a hob switch. I ran that for a few years till I decided I needed over 650whp, then went to a different setup.

We can build a DP setup. We just need to get all the parts in stock to do so.

Mikey
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:18 AM
Evolved Member

That dual 255 set up is exactly what I ran on my last car (gt35r set up) they work great up to around the power levels Mikey mentioned.

Only issue with double pumpers intank is fuel starvation if you are roadracing. Double pumpers are great for street cars, but I wouldn't recommend them to people who are focusing on big road courses. Also the Hobbs switch can cause issues in part throttle cornering.

At the end of the day just depends on your goals. My only advice is do it once and do it right. If a double is going to satisfy all your needs then get one. If you are thinking of tracking the car a lot, you may want to invest in a different solution.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SDevo13
That dual 255 set up is exactly what I ran on my last car (gt35r set up) they work great up to around the power levels Mikey mentioned.

Only issue with double pumpers intank is fuel starvation if you are roadracing. Double pumpers are great for street cars, but I wouldn't recommend them to people who are focusing on big road courses. Also the Hobbs switch can cause issues in part throttle cornering.

At the end of the day just depends on your goals. My only advice is do it once and do it right. If a double is going to satisfy all your needs then get one. If you are thinking of tracking the car a lot, you may want to invest in a different solution.
Yup... I was going to do a double pumper, but figured the same thing. No point in doing it two times. Fuel starvation is no good under the cornering loads our cars can see regularly on good tires.

Quick Reply: Double pumper options or something else?