Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

stock downpipe heat shield...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock downpipe heat shield...?

I just crawled under my car today to try and diagnose what my rattle is (its really really annoying and has been bugging me forever). Come to find that most of my little heat shields on the factory downpipe are loose and rattling.
My question is, are they necessary? Aftermarket ones that are bigger don't use them? I don't track my car or anything...

Thanks guys
Old Jan 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You CAN just rip off the ones that are loose/rattling. The fix to that solution is to buy a aftermarket downpipe and never worry bout heat shields again. Plus you would gain some power too.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:21 PM

Yes U need it to not boil your engine oil. You can get it rewelded or put that heat shielding wrap on it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by turbotalawd
You CAN just rip off the ones that are loose/rattling. The fix to that solution is to buy a aftermarket downpipe and never worry bout heat shields again. Plus you would gain some power too.
Good call, and perhaps I will do that. However, does a dp require a tune? On my 08 WRX it couldn't deal with one without a tune and ran terrible.

Originally Posted by PetEvo
Yes U need it to not boil your engine oil. You can get it rewelded or put that heat shielding wrap on it.
That does make sense, but how come an aftermarket dp doesn't do that?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

A downpipe doesnt require a tune but you would certainly benefit from one. Even if your car is bone stock a tune will still help. Most people that daily drive their cars dont put heat wrap on aftermarket downpipes. You can if you are really worried about it but its not mandatory.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by cnix43
Good call, and perhaps I will do that. However, does a dp require a tune? On my 08 WRX it couldn't deal with one without a tune and ran terrible.

That does make sense, but how come an aftermarket dp doesn't do that?
I use a 3" dp & that is really close to the oil pan. I wrapped first with that long tape-kind exhaust wrap & than added a heatshield-blanket at the pan only. If you want to go with the 3" make some research couse some of 'em rattle to other parts of the car when drive over bumps. If I could start over mine I'd use 2.5" or 2.75" for some more torqe. Here is a site what is it, they have a vid too. GL
http://www.heatshieldproducts.com/pr...ust-wrap/34/19

Last edited by PetEvo; Jan 29, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Forgot to add the link>
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:38 PM

Sounds great chaps! Thanks a bunch. That does make sense. So it's looking like the Evo isn't as sensitive as the Subaru's.
The only thing about a tune for me anyway is that I live in Boise Idaho and I have yet to find anyone who can tune it. Being from LA i'm quite used to tuning being readily available. But that is not so here. haha
Old Jan 29, 2012, 09:28 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds great chaps! Thanks a bunch. That does make sense. So it's looking like the Evo isn't as sensitive as the Subaru's.
The only thing about a tune for me anyway is that I live in Boise Idaho and I have yet to find anyone who can tune it. Being from LA i'm quite used to tuning being readily available. But that is not so here. haha
evo is not nearly as sensitive as wrx/sti. you can do a mail in tune from someone like mellon. i dont have experience with them but they seem legit. of course i would talk to them before letting them tune my car.

i have a road/race engineering dp. its 3" stainless. you gotta be careful with the 9 cause not many dp's will fit. this one did and fit well. i dont hear rattling or leaks so i like it.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Throttle
evo is not nearly as sensitive as wrx/sti. you can do a mail in tune from someone like mellon. i dont have experience with them but they seem legit. of course i would talk to them before letting them tune my car.

i have a road/race engineering dp. its 3" stainless. you gotta be careful with the 9 cause not many dp's will fit. this one did and fit well. i dont hear rattling or leaks so i like it.
Good to know. I couldn't stand how sensitive mine was. Thats good info.
I'm just learning, and what better way to than on the forum haha.
I'll get in touch with them then. And I suppose the only to get into your car to tune it (if you're sent a tune) is with a Tactrix cable and a window's running laptop I would assume...?

Awesome, i'll check into that. How much did it run you? Noticeable difference afterwards then?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

I'll get in touch with them then. And I suppose the only to get into your car to tune it (if you're sent a tune) is with a Tactrix cable and a window's running laptop I would assume...?

Awesome, i'll check into that. How much did it run you? Noticeable difference afterwards then?
this is the dp http://www.roadraceengineering.com/evo/downpipe.htm

its hard for me to truly judge performance difference cause i installed it within a week of driving the car. i was barely use to stock power, spool time, throttle response...

as far as mail in tuning, yes you will need a laptop, cable, and software. you will log data, they will change it, and you will log again. since i dont have experience with them yet you're better off talking to them. but from i can tell they seem legit and worth checking out.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 02:04 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Throttle

thanks for the mention

here's how you would get started, equipment, software you need http://www.mellonracing.com/index.ph...dex&cPath=1_28