Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

400HP from Stock Internals, Turbo, etc.. Possible? Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would take off at least $500-1000 off his asking price and use that money to get it retuned and checked out. Obviously if you could get it completely bumper to bumper checked out before you give him a dime would be ideal. And if they find problems, you can use that to leverage him down on his price. If he won't budge, I would walk away. Do it right the first time. Don't want to inherit another person's set of problems/issues/repairs before you even put down a single mile.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Ya been there acid tonic sold me his car one here, grinds in third and fifth, needed an oil change for everything, everything was hood rigged in the car and currently I am dealing with the car being out of alignment when it's been aligned, don't deal with shadey *******s that straight lie about the car for sale /end rant
Old Jan 28, 2012, 09:47 PM

No I really do value everyone's opinions on here. The whole inheriting someone else's problem really got my wheels turning.. My dream is to find a bone stock MR but that is seeming to be a challenge.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm on the stock 8 turbo and I made close to 400whp and daily drive it as well. Seems healthy
Old Jan 28, 2012, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
I saw this same (red) car for sale since October. I really want a IX, but after reading the ad, I just didn't feel good about it, plus it's not the color I want. Get the MR that you say is your dream car. I want a IX RS, so that's what stopped me.

Last edited by 10isace; Jan 29, 2012 at 01:58 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:02 AM

Did you go and look at the vehicle or did the description just turn you off? The guy that owns it now really doesn't know what he is talking about. I asked him if he would mind giving me the number of the previous owner who built it. He is supposed to be calling me.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SDevo13
....He is drag racing the car. You can toast a 6-speed trans/clutch at that power in one weekend easily....
Yeah, my fears echo the above. The tranny and the T-case..are in doubt as the car has been launched. Quite possibly with the clutch being side-stepped at high engine speeds to achieve low 60-fts on stickies. Potential abusive drivetrain shock. the TC on our cars is a delicate affair.

Last edited by sparky; Jan 29, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Edit
Old Jan 29, 2012, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

I have been running around 400hp, but cant remember the tq right off. So far I've not had any problems with the motor at all but started noticing the DT is starting to go. Either way if you want it get it because if you plan on modding it and getting up there in hp/tq stuff will break as we all have seen.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ive been running mid 400 on 30psi with only my head being built, and only thing ive noticed is grinding from 3rd-4th when i get on it, but i also have supporting mods tomei arms ect.
so you probably would end up dropping about $1000 for a shep trans. but in my opinion well worth it.

also my motor has 97k.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by plshrk22
Did you go and look at the vehicle or did the description just turn you off? The guy that owns it now really doesn't know what he is talking about. I asked him if he would mind giving me the number of the previous owner who built it. He is supposed to be calling me.
I just went off the pics and description. It's been for sale since October. That means people looked at it and decided against it. He also lowered the price quite a bit.

Like others said, I would just be prepared to get some work done to it. Test drive it and see how it feels. Who knows, it may be fine. BTW, where did you see the ad? Craigslist or ColoradoEvo.com?
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by scotty225
i am at 404hp and 440tq on the mustang dyno on stock block and stock turbo and stock cams. it can be done. there are a lot of cars on stock turbo on e85 doing it. i drive mine everyday to work and back and i have no problems so far.
Conventional wisdom around these parts is that anything above 400 wtq (Dynojet) on stock internals is pushing it. 440 wtq on a Mustang dyno would put you close to 500 wtq on a Dynojet. Your motor may not have gone yet but I'd start saving up if I were you.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If u are really serious make sure u give it a good thorough test drive as well as having a shop check it out. When I test drove mine, The tranny shifted great even when I got on it and shifted in high rpms, until I got it on the highway, once I was over 65-70 mph it had a grind from 4th to 5th. This helped me knock a significant amount off the top, along with a lot of little stuff that needed attention that I pointed out. The grind really wasnt bad at all and for some probably would have been easily tolerable, but It bothered me and when I pulled the tranny to put a clutch in, I sent it to shep and am waiting on it now, while I am performing other maintenance and giving it some TLC. Just be smart and make sure U know what ur getting into. I am with u on finding a stock car, it's not easy and if u do it usually costs a premium.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
You shouldn't have any issues with that power level. What kills a stock motor is high RPM and detonation. Stay away from both and you should be fine.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by awdboosted
You shouldn't have any issues with that power level. What kills a stock motor is high RPM, detonation, and low end torque.. Stay away from both and you should be fine.
Fixed

Quick Reply: 400HP from Stock Internals, Turbo, etc.. Possible? Safe?