Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

400HP from Stock Internals, Turbo, etc.. Possible? Safe?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2012, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
400HP from Stock Internals, Turbo, etc.. Possible? Safe?

Alright I am new to the Evo game but not to the tuning world. I am in the process of purchasing an Evo and I am seriously looking at this 2006 Evolution IX. What bothers me about it is that he is claiming it is running 414HP on stock internals and sometimes peaking at 31lbs of boost. Is this ok? The history of the car is he purchased it from a shop in Denver that built it and it appears to be done properly. Please read the description below. I know he is leaving out a bunch of mods but he is just not familiar with it. He has owned the car for 2 years and put 2,000 miles on it. It was tuned for 350 from the original seller but he then had someone tune it for 414HP. Should I be worried about purchasing this vehicle? It has been taken care of and looks very clean. It runs well also. Let me know your thoughts!

Description:

I'm forced to sell my baby. Has 41k miles on it as of today. Tinted windows, powder coated wheels, and lowered. Mods include E85 tune, ported exhaust manifold, 3" exhaust with test pipe (for track use only, comes with 3" cat), upgraded intercooler, custom welded hard intake pipes, ACT clutch. Stock engine, turbo, trans, t-case, & diffs. Put down 414 hp and 460 ft/lbs. It runs 11.9's at Bandimere (one of the fastest stock engine/turbo evo's in the country). Very clean inside and out. Since it is AWD, this is one of the few cars that is very fast and can be driven in the snow. Hate to sell it, but I just can't afford it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

I would have it throughly inspected by a shop in your area that KNOWS Evos. Yes, it is possible to run 400 horse on E85, But as in anything, once you alter a engine to perform above its stock levels You are always running a risk. Good luck to you.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:10 PM

i am at 404hp and 440tq on the mustang dyno on stock block and stock turbo and stock cams. it can be done. there are a lot of cars on stock turbo on e85 doing it. i drive mine everyday to work and back and i have no problems so far.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Possible? Absolutely. Safe? Yep, until it blows up. When will that happen? Depends on a thousand and one factors. Having it looked over by someone who knows their way around evos would definitely be a good start. Also have the tune looked over by someone if at all possible.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:32 PM

You can always lower the boost with the b.controller if decided to buy. Or get it retuned...
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:33 PM

i would just have some money set aside to fix anything that breaks
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

I'm going to take a stab and say that the car is going to need some TLC. If not the engine, the transmission definitely will need some attention. Have a REALLY good mechanic who is VERY familiar with evo's look it over before paying anything for that car....just my 2cents. Not being able to 'afford' it anymore (with VERY basic mods) points to "transmission needs to be replaced" or worse...so yea
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

I made 560 whp on a stock block for 3 years with no ill effects.The trick is to have the tq come on with a slow ramp rate,low tq,and have the peak tq come on late in the power band.This will insure you you'll keep the rods in block.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by SDevo13
I'm going to take a stab and say that the car is going to need some TLC. If not the engine, the transmission definitely will need some attention. Have a REALLY good mechanic who is VERY familiar with evo's look it over before paying anything for that car....just my 2cents. Not being able to 'afford' it anymore (with VERY basic mods) points to "transmission needs to be replaced" or worse...so yea
It was only driven for 2000 miles over 2 years with the more aggressive 414hp tune. Before that it was tuned at 350hp.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by plshrk22
It was only driven for 2000 miles over 2 years with the more aggressive 414hp tune. Before that it was tuned at 350hp.
That's not the issue at all. He is drag racing the car. You can toast a 6-speed trans/clutch at that power in one weekend easily, although its obviously highly driver dependent. There has to be a reason after all this time he 'can't afford' it anymore. My guess is upcoming repairs.

Best of luck
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

This car spooks me. I'd try and get one from a true enthusiast. 460tq isn't unheard of but that's pushing it.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 07:52 PM

The guy that owns it now purchased it from a true enthusiast and the only thing he did was get it tuned. The original owner actually owns a big tuning shop in Denver. He is an older gentleman which makes me a little more comfortable. He also advised me he took it to the track once and did 10 passes and who knows of that's true or not but he seems like an honest guy.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:10 PM
Evolving Member

I've been running 400whp/400wtq @30psi since Feb 2009 all stock motor. Still going strong.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:11 PM

Also could be he can't afford the insurance no more. And I believe if your torque is in the 400+ range your putting a lot of stress on the drivetrain.Unless the drivetrain has been upgraded by one of the reputable shops.So I definately would try to have a shop evaluate it before you buy.

Last edited by TURBO X GSR; Jan 28, 2012 at 08:17 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2012, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know why you are asking us what to think. You already have your mind made up. Just buy the car, and have fun *shrug*

Quick Reply: 400HP from Stock Internals, Turbo, etc.. Possible? Safe?