Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car is Ridiculously Slow

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any check engine lights on?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:13 PM
Evolving Member

I'm not trying to be rude here and I'm not saying you aren't knowledgeable about Evo's.

BUT what I am saying is... You should still do a boost leak test just to cover all your bases. Just because everything looks fine, does not actually mean it is, as I'm sure you know.

I recently had work done on my Evo and had it re-tuned.. Prior to the tune, my tuner made sure I was going to do a boost leak test to ensure nothing was wrong. I swore up and down I didn't have any boost leak issues and infact the shop found a HUGE boost leak.

So my point is, it never hurts to cover all your bases and I would do a boost leak test and goto autozone and have the codes pulled since your always running the cel light due to the cat delete.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lily03
I'm not trying to be rude here and I'm not saying you aren't knowledgeable about Evo's.

BUT what I am saying is... You should still do a boost leak test just to cover all your bases. Just because everything looks fine, does not actually mean it is, as I'm sure you know.

I recently had work done on my Evo and had it re-tuned.. Prior to the tune, my tuner made sure I was going to do a boost leak test to ensure nothing was wrong. I swore up and down I didn't have any boost leak issues and infact the shop found a HUGE boost leak.

So my point is, it never hurts to cover all your bases and I would do a boost leak test and goto autozone and have the codes pulled since your always running the cel light due to the cat delete.
How much PSI is huge?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RelentlessEVO
Good call, you definitely know what you're doing and it couldn't possibly be an intake leak. It's gotta be that wastegate diaphram.

Good luck, you'll need it.
Thanks bro...go fix your HVAC.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Babs
How much PSI is huge?
When they found the boost leak I was at 11.9 a/f while cruising and wot was 9.5 to 1. When I bought her, I was told and shown documents that said she was tuned to 20 when the mbc was installed. I had not pushed my car that high to realize I had such a HUGE boost leak.

Now I realize that may not be to "huge" to some, but in my opinion it was. Hence why I say doing a boost leak test wouldn't be a bad idea. If anything it'll shut everyone else up who keeps telling you to do a boost leak test because you'll know for sure after.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

When they found the boost leak I was at 11.9 a/f while cruising and wot was 9.5 to 1. When I bought her, I was told and shown documents that said she was tuned to 20 when the mbc was installed. I had not pushed my car that high to realize I had such a HUGE boost leak.

Now I realize that may not be to "huge" to some, but in my opinion it was. Hence why I say doing a boost leak test wouldn't be a bad idea. If anything it'll shut everyone else up who keeps telling you to do a boost leak test because you'll know for sure after.
See I can understand a random number like 16psi or 13psi or even 22psi when I'm tuned for 30psi. But 11psi is what the stock wastegate pressure is and that's exactly what's showing on my gauge. If there was a leak, I would see some kind of fluctuation in the boost but it stays pegged at 11psi. Even then, 20psi is beyond a huge leak it'd literally have to be a gaping hole. On top of that, there's no audible signs that 20psi is shooting into the atmosphere

I probably will end up doing a boost leak but I want to get someone in here that has had this problem and fixed it. There's already another thread with the guy having the same problem as me, stuck at 11psi. His thread is a few under mine.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:03 PM
Evolving Member

See I can understand a random number like 16psi or 13psi or even 22psi when I'm tuned for 30psi. But 11psi is what the stock wastegate pressure is and that's exactly what's showing on my gauge. If there was a leak, I would see some kind of fluctuation in the boost but it stays pegged at 11psi. Even then, 20psi is beyond a huge leak it'd literally have to be a gaping hole. On top of that, there's no audible signs that 20psi is shooting into the atmosphere

I probably will end up doing a boost leak but I want to get someone in here that has had this problem and fixed it. There's already another thread with the guy having the same problem as me, stuck at 11psi. His thread is a few under mine.
I completely understand where you are coming from and your thought process. I just thought I'd mention what I did since everyone kept saying boost leak test.

I saw the other thread you speak of and I honestly wish you both the best and hope you can get it figured out without causing any harm to the cars.

Oh and once it is figured out, please be sure to enlighten us all with what happened.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

I completely understand where you are coming from and your thought process. I just thought I'd mention what I did since everyone kept saying boost leak test.

I saw the other thread you speak of and I honestly wish you both the best and hope you can get it figured out without causing any harm to the cars.

Oh and once it is figured out, please be sure to enlighten us all with what happened.
Will do...thanks for the help man
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It seems as though you have already answered your question. Something is wrong with the boost control. Wether that is the wastegate its self, the lines leading to it. The boost controller actuator or the wires controlling it.

You could have a small boost leak, but that does not sound like what is causing this issue.

Trace all of you waste gate vacuum lines and check all of your wires to and from your controller. Looks at your actuator, etc.

A massive exhaust leak could be another issue, but I think you would notice one that serious...

Last edited by mt057; Feb 3, 2012 at 02:18 PM.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks bro...go fix your HVAC.
That's hilarious. I almost feel flattered you went and researched my threads and that was the best you could come up with. Seriously, my original post was to assist you in solving your problem, not to start an argument.

Always start with the basics when having a problem like this. I recommended doing a boost leak test (as several others did as well) because it's always a good idea and even if it's not the exact cause of your issue, it could lead you to what actually is. As the above poster mentioned, trace all lines connected to your boost controller and wastegate as obviously something has become unhooked or has a leak or has changed.

And to your question regarding the wastegate diaphragm, I believe that if the diaphragm were to become damaged (which, personally I've never seen but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen) your turbo would actually overboost as the wastegate would never open (no pressure on the diaphragm to push the rod and actuate the wastgate). Honestly, I've never take apart a wastegate so I'm not sure of it's internal construction, so my statement above is just a theory. Hopefully some of that helps and is constructive.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Will do...thanks for the help man
Not a problem. Actually I'm a girl!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
11/12 psi does sound like factory wastegate boost. So instead of posting smart comments go out and trace your lines like youve been told. Do your boost leak test. Heck borrow a mbc just to test and see if your ebc has crapped out or whatever. This thankfully sounds like an easy fix.

Less typing, more fixing. Good luck.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 04:02 PM
KJS
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Damn, evom is sassy today. Meeeowwwwww.

I vouch for a boostleak as well, if it's not that then you probably have a much more serious problem.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 11:01 AM
Evolved Member

There would have to be a hole literally the size of your fist to produce that kind of pressure loss. It's nice to rule that out, but it's not the problem.
Old Feb 4, 2012, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Not necessarily. A hold the size of a fist would not even let him spool. He'd have no boost at all.