Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Car is Ridiculously Slow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car is Ridiculously Slow

Out of nowhere, my car has just become slow. I'm sorta narrowing it down to a boost leak or a blown turbo but I'm not familiar with symptoms of either of these.

Basically, my car is maybe half as fast as it normally is and it's only in boost meaning that the car still has the same off-boost torque (what little it had ) as it's always had which leads me to believe it's not motor related. When I hit boost however, it'll initially feel as it should but then it'd fall on its face and not go anywhere. At this time, the exhaust note will sound different too. I can't explain it but the tone/pitch is different. Continuing at WOT, the car will sometimes return to normal acceleration and then go back to falling on its face numerous times throughout the powerband. Sometimes it will just fall on its face and stay there. The lack of acceleration is embarrassing

Anybody recognize these symptoms?

Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: I hooked up my boost gauge and it's reading 11psi under boost which tells me it's running off wastegate pressure. I do not have an MBC and the vacuum lines all look to be in good condition and hooked up. What does this leave? Torn wastegate diaphragm? Anything else it could possibly be?

Last edited by Babs; Feb 3, 2012 at 06:10 AM.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do a boost leak and eliminate that, takes 10 minutes. I had some misfire due to improperly gaped plugs that exhibited similar acceleration problems, check plugs. Any CEL's?
Old Jan 31, 2012, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by djchopps0013
Do a boost leak and eliminate that, takes 10 minutes. I had some misfire due to improperly gaped plugs that exhibited similar acceleration problems, check plugs. Any CEL's?
Well I've had a CEL from the cat delete but there could be additional codes that I don't know about. I could have AutoZone check it tomorrow. I've had spark plugs that were gapped too high once and it caused popping sounds on acceleration as well as a sluggish feeling but I'm not getting that popping sound that I had with the poorly gapped plugs.

I do need to do a boost leak test though...I'm not sure if it's just me but it sounds like the turbo isn't spooling as high as it normally does too.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
PRS
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Babs, do a boost leak check first if you can or just bring it by the shop tomorrow for the meet.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
go pull the codes and see. if its just the cat then do boost leak. could be a fuel problem.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Something def not rite, it could be anything..theres only one way to find the problem thats to troubleshoot..start with boost leak..if not use EvoScan to run a diagnostic.
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Clutch
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by PRS
Babs, do a boost leak check first if you can or just bring it by the shop tomorrow for the meet.
I was actually gonna ride with Nick but I guess I'll go ahead and bring it down

I just didn't want to mess anything up more than it was seeing the terrible luck I always have with my car hahaha

Thanks man! See ya tomorrow

Originally Posted by sujinX
go pull the codes and see. if its just the cat then do boost leak. could be a fuel problem.
Originally Posted by Revo15
Something def not rite, it could be anything..theres only one way to find the problem thats to troubleshoot..start with boost leak..if not use EvoScan to run a diagnostic.
Looks like a boost leak it's gonna be first...thanks for the input guys!
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evoryder
Clutch
Definitely not...clutch is an Exedy twin, rebuilt maybe 3-4k miles ago and the revs don't jump around like it's slipping. I know what a slipping clutch is and my stock clutch slipped like a banana peel in 1st through 5th gear
Old Jan 31, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
They all don't slip the same. Check the turbo for shaft play
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Update in first post!
Old Feb 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A lot of people have provided you a really great suggestion: Boost leak test. Please do it and then report back what you find. If you don't want to / know how to do the test, take it to a reputable shop and have them do it. If you don't have the money or time to have a shop do it and don't want to do it on your own, then you probably shouldn't own an Evo. That's my opinion anyway and you know what they say about opinions...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RelentlessEVO
A lot of people have provided you a really great suggestion: Boost leak test. Please do it and then report back what you find. If you don't want to / know how to do the test, take it to a reputable shop and have them do it. If you don't have the money or time to have a shop do it and don't want to do it on your own, then you probably shouldn't own an Evo. That's my opinion anyway and you know what they say about opinions...
I don't think you're understanding very well. It's boosting 11psi which is commonly known as the base wastegate pressure which means it has something to do with the wastegate. My car was running 30psi before this, for the car to lose 20psi through a leak would be ridiculous and the hole that it was leaking through would be gaping.

I'm asking if anybody has any ideas what on the wastegate could've failed such as the diaphragm or something like that.

And seeing that I rebuilt the motor on the car and did 99% of the work myself, I think I know enough to "earn the right" to "own an Evo".

If you don't have a reasonable answer, don't bother replying.
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

What do you use for boost control? You mentioned you don't have a MBC, so I would assume its an electronic boost controller?

If this is true, perhaps the solenoid quit on you.

-Bink
Old Feb 3, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Babs
I don't think you're understanding very well. It's boosting 11psi which is commonly known as the base wastegate pressure which means it has something to do with the wastegate. My car was running 30psi before this, for the car to lose 20psi through a leak would be ridiculous and the hole that it was leaking through would be gaping.

I'm asking if anybody has any ideas what on the wastegate could've failed such as the diaphragm or something like that.

And seeing that I rebuilt the motor on the car and did 99% of the work myself, I think I know enough to "earn the right" to "own an Evo".

If you don't have a reasonable answer, don't bother replying.
Good call, you definitely know what you're doing and it couldn't possibly be an intake leak. It's gotta be that wastegate diaphram.

Good luck, you'll need it.