Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Cover of sport compact car " Evo is coming to US"

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2001, 08:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A late model M3 would cost a you at least 48k. The dealers are marking up the M3 some 5-8k. If you have that kind of bread to throw around I would'nt consider a EVO VII either at 30k. But to be realistic the EVO is every bit and then some the performance of an M3, hell M5, 996, C5, SVT Cobra, Saleen S281 sc, Supra TT, RX-7TT, 300ZX TT, and 3000gt VR4. It may not be as refined as most of these vehicles but it can match or beat them all in performance at a significantly cheaper price at 30k. That is why I think it will sell if not watered down too much. The EVO is not the POS the lancer is. It is the flag ship for Mitsubishi replacing the 3000GT. At 30k it is a bargain.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 08:46 AM

I'm not talking about the new E46 M3, I'm talking about the previous E36 M3 which is available from anywhere from $20-30k. It's a complete package car, space, performance and luxury.

The Evo isn't Mitsu's flagship car, and I doubt they're looking to turn it in to the 3000VR4 replacement. They're going to put the WRX in their crosshairs and that means competing in that price segment, which is under $25k.

What we (as enthusiasts) tend to forget is that most people with $30k to spend for a new car aren't interested in what car has the best performance per dollar. They look at the price, look at the competition and pick the nicest car for the dollar. So if they see that a WRX is $8000 less and delivers largely the same performance and luxury, that's what they'll buy.

People equate higher price mostly with higher luxury, like leather seats, more space etc. The Corvette and Porsches have built a reputation as sports coupes, but they also are very luxurious. Mitsu doesn't have the advantage of years of market penetration and reputation with the EVO. Most people here haven't a clue what an EVO is, they'll think it's a slightly faster version of the crappy Lancer that we just got. There aren't enough of us EVO enthusiasts to support the costs of bringing the EVO over for $30000. That's alot of money, more than most high school, college aged and young professionals can afford. And geuss what? That's the group that will comprise the majority of the EVO sales!

Eventually Mitsu will bring an EVO over that's hotter, esp if Suby does end up bringing the STI, but I'm willing to put money down on the fact that the EVO will be here for $25000 or less.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

I think your point is valid, however 30k is not alot of money in tadays car market. When I was in school 30k would buy you a nice 325 BMW, now your lucky to get a 323 turd for under 38k with vinyl seats. Also Mitsubishi does consider the EVO to be its flagship and it is to take the place of the 3000GT.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 10:15 AM

Well, let's look at what you can get for $25k new these days.

Celica GT-S, Acura RSX Type S, WRX, Mustang GT, Camaro Z-28, Sentra SE-R Spec V, Altima 3.5 and a few others that are escaping me.

All of these cars are good performers and some cost closer to $20k than $25k.

Although you're right in saying $30k buys you a BMW 323 vs the 325 a few years back, the public mentatility hasn't changed. For $30k people start thinking about picking up an Audi or a BMW, not a Subaru or a Mitsubishi. Look at how many supercars Toyota, Mazda and Mitsubishi sold. There's a reason they pulled the Supra, RX-7 and 3000VR4.

We as enthusiasts bemoan the lack of true sports cars, but we're a very small market and don't buy enough cars to sustain business. Look at the statistics for the Eclipse GSX, only 5% of all Eclipses sold were the awd turbo ones. With numbers like that it didn't make sense for Mitsu to continue selling them.

The EVO will first be brought over in direct competition to the current WRX, with a hotter model on it's way to meet the STI if Suby decides to bring that car over. There's big bucks to be had in the $25k market, not quite as many in the $30k market.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

That makes sense.

I love the Altima by the way, I plan to put my wife in the SE.

I guess what I have been wanting to say you summed pretty well with "There's big bucks to be had in the $25k market, not quite as many in the $30k market"
Acura had the limited edition Type-R that was succesfull. After dealer mark up in Austin dealers were asking 27k. I thought that was rediculous at the time. Now the type-r could barely compete with a $24k WRX.
When or if the WRX comes as an STI there will be people there to ****** them up just like enthusiast did the Type-R, and so too will they ****** up the EVO VII. It would be wise for Mitsubishi to have EVO to compete with the WRX, But what I am patiently waiting to see is if I can get the real thing (Mitsubishi's Type-R the EVO VII).
Old Oct 12, 2001, 11:19 AM

Yup, the Type R came over and did quite well. The resale values on used Type R's are unreal! However, remember that Acura had established the Integra name for some time before they came out with the Type R and they brought it over for under $25000. What the dealers charged for it they can't control.

Suby actually made the new WRX a broader car. We have almost the same car as the JDM one, although they get another 20 hp and better brakes. However, they brought out a "base" model WRX compared to previous models of WRX 22B's and WRX RA's.

The EVO will be like the WRX in that respect. A very good performing under $25000 car, with perhaps hotter models to follow.

The problem with forced induction cars is that it's really easy to get more power out of them, so the factory hotter version needs to offer more than just hp to justify the increase in price. Why pay $5000 more for the STI when you can get the same power out of the WRX base model for less $$? Gotta get the nicer interior, brakes, suspension, wheels etc...
Old Oct 12, 2001, 11:49 AM

What you are forgetting is that subaru brings in 10-15K wrx cars to the US and who knows how much worldwide and that mitsubishi sells less than 5K evos every year. Subaru can sell the sti for over 30K easy and so can mitsubishi with the evo because they will only bring in a limited amount. If you want a want a heavily watered down evo to the US that costs less than 25K then it's a car that will disappoint true evo fans.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by DocWyte
The problem with forced induction cars is that it's really easy to get more power out of them, so the factory hotter version needs to offer more than just hp to justify the increase in price. Why pay $5000 more for the STI when you can get the same power out of the WRX base model for less $$? Gotta get the nicer interior, brakes, suspension, wheels etc...
You points are very valid

Although STI is very different compared to the normal WRX (strengthen engine internal, much better body reinforcement, better suspension, and much better brakes, oh, not to mentioned the recaro seats ), to the general public, "they just look alike and the STI is "only" like 50 hp more than the normal one, how come they are $5K more expensive." Only the true enthusiasts will appreciated the STI/EVO....
Old Oct 12, 2001, 12:15 PM

Hakaida,

Mitsu won't bother to bring over the EVO if they only plan on selling 5000 of them. It costs too much money to federalize the car for crash standards and emmissions. They wouldn't get their money back, and that's what they're in business for, to sell as many as possible.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

EVO VII is a limited production car with the max of 10,000 Units worldwide (at least that's what they have planned). I think up to this point, 90% were sold.

Keep in mind, it is highly possible that we might end up getting a later version or a performance model WITHOUT the EVO name....
Old Oct 12, 2001, 12:38 PM
Evolving Member

The brand recognition the the EVO can bring to Mitsubishi in the USA could be enough reason to bring it state side.

Example:

the Z

Nissan loosing the 300ZX hurt their brand in the U.S. THe Z was so powerfull to Nissan that they made commercials featuring the Z after they quit importing it. Then Nissan tried to renew interest in their brand by refurbishing 240, 260, 280z's and selling them through Nissan.

Now nissan is bringing the Z back. Wow

The Nissan 300zTT was the most sophisticated CAR in the early 90's. It was the bench mark for the C5. When they cut the z from threir line up they cut their own throat. Now they are fixing their mistake the Z is coming back. Go to nissans web site and look how they are trying to generate enthusiasm for their brand by showing off their soon to be flagship.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 01:43 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

The Lancer Evolution series is NOT a huge profit-making automobile for Mitsubishi, nor has it ever been. Worldwide production of the Evo VII this model year are under 15,000 units, I think closer to 10,000. The base Lancer model along with all the other models are where Mitsubishi makes its profits. The Evolutions are built to satisfy World Rally regulations and to serve as Mitsubishi's "halo" vehicle.

In the US, what car serves as Mitsubishi's "halo" vehicle? The Eclipse? I don't think so. That is why Mitsubishi needs the Evo VII in the US. Profit or no profit, Mitsubishi will bring the car over to the United States.
Old Oct 12, 2001, 02:10 PM

I'd gladly pay 30K for an evo or sti model and I'm sure many others would too. I am guessing it will be about 32-33K starting. If you dont believe people would pay that much go to i-club and see how much people would buy the sti for that much.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 07:34 PM

thank you Hakaida

I think everyone was missing the point until you brought up the Evo's limited production numbers. Subaru is bringing 10,000 WRXs to the USA this year. Up until this year the most Evos Mitsu ever made WORLDWIDE in one year was 7,000. This year they upped it to 10,000 for the Evo VII. And most of those are for Japan. Next year I'll guess we might get 1,000 Evos, and they'll be gone in a week at $30,000 if they bring anything close to the real version over (the majority will be reserved before the first car ever reaches our shores).

Daimler-Chrysler owns a big chunk of Mitsu now. Is the Viper a big money-maker for them? Or is it a marketing tool? That's what the Evo will be.

My only concern is that they DO try to sell a lot of them here by tuning UP the base US version Lancer instead of detuning the 300 HP Japan version.

DC, 1st in line in PA.
Old Oct 16, 2001, 09:08 PM

While the Evo is a known name elsewhere in the world, and among us enthusiasts, to everyone else, it's a 4 door with a big wing on it.

A flagship car in the US has always been a 2 door coupe with outstanding performance as well as luxury that has been a COMPLETELY different platform!

The Evo is a Mirage that is an incredible performance car. Sorry to say it, but that's what people will associate the Evo with here, a 4 door economy car. No leather, no sunroof, no swoopy bodywork etc.

The Viper gets by because it's a $75,000 car that's a descendant of the Shelby Cobra. Dodge sells enough trucks to be able to afford the Viper.

Mitsu doesn't sell enough cars here in the States to afford losing money on a car. Federalizing a car costs millions of dollars. There's NO way Mitsu would bother with that if they're only going to bring over 1000 Evos.

I'm telling ya, they're going to shoot for the WRX and the $25,000 market.

Quick Reply: Cover of sport compact car " Evo is coming to US"