Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

When was the 1st time your EVO scared the hell out of you?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The first time my EVO scared the hell out of me was when I finally got the 1-2 NLS correct. When it happened, it seemed like I was in the Matrix as I was so nervous and surprised that I totally forgot how to shift normally into 3rd and so I just pinged off the rev limiter for about 10 seconds as I did not know what the next step was.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some spirited mountain driving on a fresh set of hankook ventus v12 evo... (HORRIBLE tires btw) took a turn a little too quick, slid sideways off the road... Luckily it was road --> 1 inch drop --> dirt/grass. Only damage was blew a tire off the bead
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:35 AM

Went to pull out onto a busy main street and punched the throttle as there was a car approaching fast caused the whole back end to swing out had me sideways pretty much facing the side street i had just pulled out of needless to say i corrected myself and was pretty surprised how quickly my EVO corrected itself
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
hopefully in a few days when I get into 30lbs of boost or close to it with my new 3586!!
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Vivid Racing
Sounds like a lot of you guys need to find a track.
lol. agreed.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

3rd day I had the car and first time at the strip with it. Twisted the output shaft on the trans and blew up the diff in the T-case.

Went into a cold sweat knowing how much that was going to cost me
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

I haven't scared myself on the street yet...track is a different story.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by evoforhotchick
BALD Stock Advans + wet snow = OMG! I thought my 7 month old MR was toast.... Luckily, I saved her from careening into the concrete divide at the bottom of the hill with the 90-degree right-hand turn! Whew. Yes, Blizzaks were mounted two days later.
Same here. My evo's first winter. On stock tires and it began to snow. I saw traffic light goes from yellow then red. So, I step on the brake to gradually slow down and anticipating a full stop at the line (I am at speed limit of about 45 mph). I see the cars on the stop started to go . OMG, my car slides...pass thru the traffic light and stop on the other side of the light. . I look into the rear view mirror and was so happy no one crash on me. Then, one night at work in Philly, it snowed and I was not aware it will snow. So, I left my car in the parking lot and took a taxi going home after weighing the consequence. Explaining that to my wife scared me too ha ha ha. She says I love my car so much..told her it will be more expensive if I crashed it...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

My evo hasn't scared me..but I've scared my self ...3 deep on a local back road...forgot I should have my wheels pointed where i want to go before hitting the top of a crest..I was sliding sideways facing the guard rail then snapped the other direction facing the canyon wall. Car did a good job considering I messed up and was still able to recover.

lets face it the evo is one of the hardest car's to crash.

Last edited by Montu; Feb 9, 2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Montu
My evo hasn't scared me..but I've scared my self

lets face it the evo is one of the hardest car's to crash.
^Truth
Old Feb 9, 2012, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
First time driving the car without ABS. Never realized how well it worked
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SmurfZilla
My 777hp tune. I had never driven anything so fast. I'm still not used to it as I've had some issues here and there and I try not to drive it too much so it still feels fast to me.
This. But I only have 615 hp. It must be the torque.

-Acree
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

Launched from a stop turning right to rotate the car a bit. Ended up rotating more then I thought it would, weight shifted to the opposite side and the back end slid right a little. Felt the RR dip off the pavement, grabbed second gear real quick and powered out of it. Scary moment. I never really got scared by the cars abilities more confidence then anything. Ill never cross that limit of the car again lol
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MechTech
Launched from a stop turning right to rotate the car a bit. Ended up rotating more then I thought it would, weight shifted to the opposite side and the back end slid right a little. Felt the RR dip off the pavement, grabbed second gear real quick and powered out of it. Scary moment. I never really got scared by the cars abilities more confidence then anything. Ill never cross that limit of the car again lol
I used to do that for fun, go full throttle into a left turn. It doesn't take much for the car to start rotating when it hits boost.

Scariest moment for me was back in '04 going down a dirt road and going full throttle going over a concrete bridge that has a slight drop at the end and when I hit the dirt, the car went 180* onto the other side of the road. Tore some of the tabs off the lip and oil cooler duct. Left some weeds and grass between my tires and wheels as well. Nothing major but could have been worse.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:30 AM

when i seen the bluelights behind me about 3hrs after buying my evo

Quick Reply: When was the 1st time your EVO scared the hell out of you?